What's new
What's new

Acquired my first lathe. Leblond 15"

jamiethesquid

Aluminum
So this is my first post. I am a 38 y/o, Veteran, father of two, FFL type 07, work for the Government by day, and Recently started persuing my Precision Machine degree at night at our local community college, which has been a life ling dream. I was browsing the local Craigslist a week ago and ran across A 1940-1950's 15" Leblond Regal Lathe for $900. Went over to take a look and talked the Lady out of it for $700.

It will be a little while before I get it home and the previous owner is glad to let it stay there for as long as I need. The lathe runs smooth in all gears. Powerfeeds in all feed rates. Power feed works in both directions on the cross slide and carraige. Comes with tons of tooling. A Jacobs chuck for the tailstock. Live centers dead centers, steady rest and follow rest, 3 and 4 jaw chucks. No visible damage to the ways. I want first to determine the exact year of manufacture (any advice would be great) also need help with the best method of removing the 3 jaw chuck I tried chucking up a bar across the jaws and whacking it with a rubber mallet while it was in the lowest gear but it didn't budge. I will attach pics. Thanks in advance for any help. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 1,174
Last edited:
Nice old lathe, I saw the post title and thought you had one like mine (a 15x54 servoshift) and got excited. Like that speed dial on yours. Welcome.

I'll wait for Johnoder or someone more knowledgable than I to answer that accurately, but I will offer a ballpark of teens or twenties.

If it is like the LeBlonds I learned on, it does not have a screw thread spindle, it has a short taper spindle with a collar between the chuck and the headstock. The collar is loosened with a spanner and the chuck drops off. Good to have a board on the ways.

A LeBlond 15 is my dream lathe.

Jamie,
Welcome to the LeBlond owners group. I also bought a 15 incher and it looks very much like yours. I paid $1200 + $200 for shipping (by 3 big guys). Is yours driven by a 1 horsepower motor like mine? Mine isn't running yet.
steve

Attachments

• DSC02655.jpg
    DSC02655.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 1,337
  • DSC02656.jpg
    DSC02656.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 683
  • DSC02657.jpg
    DSC02657.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 601
  • DSC02661.jpg
    DSC02661.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 608
  • DSC02662.jpg
    DSC02662.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 600
Not sure about the motor horsepower. When I clean up around it I will crawl behind it with a mirror. I want to do a full resto/refurb on it. I did notice tonight that though the power switch says forward and reverse, both directions on the switch spin the chuck forward. I remember back in high school this was done to prevent the students from throwing the south bends into reverse and spinning off the chuck, dropping it on the ways and sending it rolling across the shop.

The chuck is threaded,as you expect,and they can be difficult to remove.Be very careful of putting the machine in lowest speed and hammering the chuck.These machines have very hard brittle gears[small too] which can be broken in attempts to remove chucks.Also your reversing switch is one of the open contact barrel types which I doubt would pass any electrical safety code today.They are an excellent lathe,as you no doubt know already.Regards John.

Back