What's new
What's new

Adam Savage (Mythbuster) threading brass

He proved he really is an amateur. Totally clueless. Maybe he saw it done on u tube.

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk

Actually I think he didn't complete the operation and had someone else do it. Some time later I seen a video where Joe Pieczynksi mentioned seeing something that had him show how to chuck a hex and other items so they don't come loose.
Why Did That Part Come Out of the 3 Jaw Chuck? DON'T MISS THIS ONE. - YouTube
My finger got nervous when I seen Adam put his fingers on the end of that screwed up thread.
I'm thinking he watched Joe Pie do some threading, he started by threading in reverse. Something Joe Pie does. Didn't use the compound another Joe Pie method though he does show doing it forward and using the compound. Plunge cutting might be OK for fine threads but not a good idea for 4TPI. Adam didn't use the compound in his first set-up nor did he used it in the second set-up. Hard to see but the compound was not used because the angle is wrong! Plus it looks as if Adam never used the thread dial and returned using reverse. That's OK but slow. However I think he didn't know how to use it!

Last edited:
wow, 32 minutes of that.. I might have to find my youtube password to login and leave a negative comment on such an amount of bullshittery.

Yep, amateur hour for sure. Should have had a stop behind the bolt head and the tailstock center in. Noticed he started using the center after ripping it out of the chuck twice...but he didn't actually center the part, just jammed the nose of the center into the brass! Not a machinist, but he can be entertaining at times. Dance, clown, dance!

Adam calls himself a “maker” not machinist. He doesn’t claim to be a professional and even had Explicitly stated this. I think he’s a cool guy and I grew up watching him on discovery.

With that said you guys are gonna love this.
Edit; the show starts at 4:22 have popcorn ready.
Spoiler he gets his finger caught in his lathe (the one in the OP)

I noticed he said he “took a Claritin”, he also said this accident happened 3 days from the video where he’s on Claritin :scratchchin: he’s pretty much a hobbyist

Last edited:
I am not that great at lathe work, but that makes me look like a seasoned vet. Lol

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Watching guys like Adam do lathe work, I have to remind myself that he very obviously got into the skill backwards, as many have. What I mean is that instead of saying, "lets learn how machinists do things," guys like him come at it as "I'm building a thing.... well lets try the lathing machine," and after lots of hair-raising atrocities, they might figure it out enough to get the same results as a "real" machinist. IMO some of the quickest learning machinists are the ones that as soon as they get a mill or lathe to mess with, they step back and actively try to learn from multiple credible sources how to properly set-up and operate the machine appropriately for the job they need to do. The ones that focus so much on the "job" that they never learn how to use the machine (as so many of these ridiculous "makers" do), really really give themselves a handy-cap.

It goes to show that there are a thousand ways to do something, and many will cite that when doing something differently than you would, but they miss that there is often one or a few ways things SHOULD be done 99% of the time, and the other thousand ways you only attempt that one time a job is being a pain.

Being able to fake it to you make it is an important life skill.... but it shouldn't be your main method of operation.

Left hand thread so he didn't have to disengage quickly, brass easy to cut, no center... lame, didnt show the nut fitting the bolt just shiny...so much for TV stars...Phil

I understand someone wanting to learn but the introduction started with making an impressive item to show skill rather than include the ability in a resume. Then continues by saying he knew how to thread on a lathe but hasn't done it is a while! He then set up the threads but the inch threads are under X but when he gets to the last lever which I assume should have been in X but it's in Z. It might have been to activate the feed shaft. Then while threading in reverse he don't use the thread dial and uses forward to return the carriage but he is very close to the chuck! One of the reasons to thread in reverse is to prevent crashing if the spindle is not stopped in time so returning after disengaging the half nut is required. If he was slightly late there would have been one hell of a crash!! Then he makes the nut calculating the needed cut dept and the screw fits! Yeah right, Someone else made that Bolt and nut after he crashed it a few times! I can imagine some new-be seeing that video and get seriously hurt.

The problem I have with posts like this is how quickly we forget that we were all rookies once.
When a young pup and cutting your first threads on dad's lathe, remember how well that went?
Bob

The problem I have with posts like this is how quickly we forget that we were all rookies once.
When a young pup and cutting your first threads on dad's lathe, remember how well that went?
Bob

Yeah we were all there once. But we didn't post videos of ourselves doing stupid things or try to make
out like we were experts. Just strikes me as being very phony. You'll get a kick out of this video too.
No comments necessary...

Adam Savage's Favorite Tools: Wiggler Machining Center-Finder - YouTube

Bob

What are you, joking? Adam has been using lathes for decades at least. Far from his first time.

He was using them on Mythbusters episodes quite frequently - that started in what, 2003? And he was a modelmaker for quite some time before that...

And don't get me wrong, I like Adam for the most part, he just really needs some help with his skill building if he's going to be putting this kind of stuff out there for millions of beginners...

Heck the whole Mythbusters thing was pretty bogus.

I caught them in stupid things that made their "conclusions" laughable and totally invalid.

Ones I recall:....

They were doing something involving whether lightning would more likely strike a person who was doing some particular thing I do not recall.... So they put a dummy person in the position and used some sort of "lightning machine". Sounds good, BUT they used a plastic dummy..... non-conductive, so invalidating the conclusions, since people are definitely conductive.

They were checking out a story from the middle ages in europe to see whether a town could have actually made a wooden cannon overnight to defend their town, and whether it would work. So they went to work to determine how long it would take to bore out a log using tools from that time. And they found it would take too long, plus the log blew up. The idiots never considered that the quick way, using available technology, was a stave cannon, one made like a barrel, with staves and iron hoops to bind them together. That was a known way of making iron cannons, but their "expert" did not even mention it. Or, they could have used the iron hoops on the log itself. Either way would probably have worked and could have been done pretty quickly, as well, since it was well-known tech, and surely the town had at least one cooper. So again their conclusion was bogus.

I think the guy is a bozo. A showman, but not what he let on to be.

Back