What's new
What's new

Aircraft Machinery Armor mill model JM

Mel in WA

Hot Rolled
This unusual bench mill followed me home, now I'm looking for information, paperwork, other owners, etc. Tony's site shows some bigger mills, but not this one.
It's solidly built, and came from a home shop where scale model running steam locomotives, etc. were made.
The vertical head appears to be shop made, don't know if this model offered a vertical head? The spare green stepped pulley was probably on the spindle, but removed for clearance when the vertical head was mounted.
The vise looks orginal (?), and the swivel base is there with a shop made rotary unit mounted on it.

Mel :typing:

Attachments

• IMG_2346-2.JPG
    IMG_2346-2.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 3,876
  • IMG_2347.JPG
    IMG_2347.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 2,128
  • IMG_2349.JPG
    IMG_2349.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 1,770
  • IMG_2350.JPG
    IMG_2350.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 1,683
  • IMG_2353.JPG
    IMG_2353.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 1,538
Last edited:
I think Armor (AMC) was Burbank's only machine tool company! Remaining examples of their machines must be quite rare. Over the years, I've only seen two or three for sale. The others were small floor-standing mills, similar to the Diamond mills. Your benchtop model is interesting, a competitor to the Barker. It was probably intended as a small second-op horizontal mill for all the aircraft plants nearby. The previous owner then turned it into a vertical hobby mill. It's most likely from the early '50's.

Mel-
I have an Armor mill very similar to yours. It does not have the homemade vertical head of course, and the table on mine does not have the cross slots. Mine does, however, have power feed to the table. Right now there is a 3' drift of snow in front of the shop door, but I will have to check the serial # on mine tomorrow.

I do recall seeing information on a factory vertical head, powered by a separate motor--and it must of been here--did you do a search?

Herb Kephart

Last edited:
I did search this forum, but only found one post, and it was somebody looking for info also.
My mill also came with a shop made powerfeed, but I didn't include a pic of it.

Mel

Mel, You are correct--the vertical head pix that i remember was on Tony's site, and is a larger machine.

Mine is a JM--4x16 table, serial#4317

Herb Kephart

Attachments

• armor mill 001c.jpg
    armor mill 001c.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 4,029
  • armor mill 004c.jpg
    armor mill 004c.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 1,226
Here are pictures from my machinery image archives of two of the larger Armor mills. Both were sold by Reliable here in southern California within the last 5 years. It's a clever design, with the swiveling vertical column to switch between the horizontal and vertical spindles. Bigger than your benchtop models, but still fairly small machines.

I have several other pictures of each machine, if you want to see more details.

Attachments

• Armor Fray Mill 1C.jpg
    Armor Fray Mill 1C.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 1,602
  • Armor Mill 1C.jpg
    Armor Mill 1C.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 1,275
Mel-

Never saw any paperwork on my mil, but since it was free, I guess I shouldn't complain!
Did you notice that my machine has the lowest spindle speed eqiiped with double belts? The separate pulley for the rear of the spindle on yours looks to have only one groove on it's largest diameter.

Bruce- Yes, I think both of us would like to see (and print out) any other pix that you have of Armor mills--TIA!

Herb Kephart

Armor Model JM

Mel, Herb, and all-

I have the same Armor Model JM. I bought it a number of years ago from the widow of the original owner in Santa Rosa. It works great for cutting small gears, and I usually keep it set up with the dividing head in the picture.

Mine is serial number 4193, the original inspection sheet is dated 4-5-46.

The original literature came with it, including the sales brochure and instructions. I have them scanned to .pdf files, and would be glad to email them.

-Bill Fill

Attachments

• Armor 01.jpg
    Armor 01.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 1,424
  • Armor 02.jpg
    Armor 02.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 662
Last edited:
Bill: Got the files on the Armor mill, and have them printed out, much appreciated. My mill apparently didn't come with the outboard support to the base. The mounting hole is there, but has a plug in it which could easily be removed and a support fabricated if necessary.

Herb: The double belt drive is different. My mill has 4 single grooves on each pulley. The spare green pulley in the pic (which would have originally been on the spindle) matches the pulley on the countershaft as far as 4 grooves with the same ratios.

Mel :typing:

One more Armor Mill, model JM. Mine is serial number 4139. I couldn't find photos of the vertical attachment mine has, so I thought I'd post it here. It is almost silent when running; seems to be in really good shape. Only thing not shown is a second, shorter, horizontal arbor for use without the overarm. Should I make up one of the support rods as shown in a photo above?

The vertical head has two keys on the side that seem to fit the table slot. My guess is that you can tilt the head 90°, maybe bolt it to the base using the hole in the end, and then use it as some type of boring machine. Sound right? And yes, I know my bench is too small.

I sent Bill a PM a couple of weeks ago looking for the pdf, but I don't think he visits the site much. Anybody else have a copy of the manual? This is my first milling machine, looking forward to learning how to use it. Thanks!

Attachments

• horizontalsmaller.jpg
    horizontalsmaller.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 2,166
  • verticalsmaller.jpg
    verticalsmaller.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 2,167
Last edited:
Here are pictures from my machinery image archives of two of the larger Armor mills. Both were sold by Reliable here in southern California within the last 5 years. It's a clever design, with the swiveling vertical column to switch between the horizontal and vertical spindles. Bigger than your benchtop models, but still fairly small machines.

I have several other pictures of each machine, if you want to see more details.

Bruce--

I would still like to see the other pictures of the larger Armor mills

Herb

I think Armor (AMC) was Burbank's only machine tool company! 0's.

I used to own a Model Engineering power hacksaw that was made in Burbank. I never found any information on it. It was a compact sturdy build unit with all gear drive. But I felt their engineering was a little lax considering how many bolts into the base went halfway thru the stiffening ribs.

Hightemp
Sorry I did not see this sooner.
It is not much of a manual but I have a copy of it from Bill that you can download here:
Armor Milling machine document links and info | the Age of Industry

Thanks a lot! Now I realize I have a 22" swing lathe! I will make that support bracket.

I've been using the machine a bunch. First project was finishing up a machinist vice - turned out great.

I bought a big lot of milling cutters off of ebay. I couldn't believe how fast I can remove metal (steel and Al) with a good cutter using the horizontal arangement. I think I will be using the vertical head only when I can't use it horizontal.

And then therer are those machines that refuse to leave their owners, also softies, and lie long unused but loved. Years later their children say -- what the heck are these things.

Back