What's new
What's new

Small crank planer identification

esbutler

Aluminum
I need your help identifying the maker and purpose of this small manual crank planer. It seems to have a very specific purpose where a piece of bar stock might be clamped into the slot on the table and groove cut into the top. It looks like an automatic downfeed through a cam lifting on the back end of the hinged head. It's roughly 12 inches wide with the flywheel, 24 inches long, 12 inches tall. Thanks.

Attachments

• DSCN0099.jpg
    DSCN0099.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 288
  • DSCN0100.jpg
    DSCN0100.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 318
  • DSCN0101.jpg
    DSCN0101.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 266
  • DSCN0102.jpg
    DSCN0102.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 278
  • DSCN0103.jpg
    DSCN0103.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
Are you sure that's not a stamping machine? Take out the tool bit and look at the working end. See if there's a letter, number or logo carved in the end.

To me it looks like a dedicated machine for cutting serrations on the barrels of revolvers or some other handgun. Between the rear sight and the front sight it used to be common to serrate the flat to remove glare.
A good example, but far more complex, is the top surface of a PPK slide. It's serrations are wavy and very fine, I always wondered how they did that.

On third thought, I see in photo #3 that the table slides driven by an eccentric, and the tool rises for the return, I again think it is a serrating machine for a gun maker.
At any rate it is cool, let me know if you wish to sell it.

judging from the pictures it looks like the table travels forwards and backwards with a limited amount of travel but no side travel... The tool doesn't look to have any travel other then down on every passing stroke of the table... so this machine cuts at one location to a desired depth of the operator perhaps? seems rather limited and specific.

Definitely a dedicated machine.
Another possibility is scale line divisions (As in six or twelve inch scales), though I don't see the longitudinal travel means.

Perhaps something from the printer's or type-founder's trade?

Does the width of the table slot for holding the workpiece correspond to the height of moveable type or the height of the printer's "slugs" ?

Just give us the width and depth of the table slot, and the forum will have something to ponder upon!

Looking again at it, I think I see a slight difference from what has been described.

The table seems to move in and out, yes.

But I am not so sure that the cutter is lifted every time.

It looks to me much more as if the cam that adjusts cutter depth is advanced a little for each stroke. In other words, you put a piece of work on the table, and then start cranking. With each turn, the cutter then moves a little deeper, until you reach the depth you want, or the point that the cam has moved it a maximum amount (so it is as deep as it will go).

Sort of like a keyway cutter that is preset, and cuts to a known adjustable amount (maybe adjusted by how far the tool is extended).

It could go right along with both the table groove, and the apparent "cut to a depth" action. Makes sense, seems very reasonable.

But I thought those had to be ground to avoid having lines etc that would be stress risers? Never done the process, just read about it.

Thank you all for the comments. The machine is not mine and I don't have immediate access but I will take some more pictures and measurements when I can. I assume there was a depth stop of some sort that attached at the hole at the end of the slot visible in the first picture. I do believe the tool automatically advanced downward with each stroke but did not lift off on the return stroke. I had not thought of the impact test notch cutter idea. That seems very plausible for what we have to go on. The Charpy/Izod test methods were apparently developed in the 1900-1903 time frame and it seems reasonable that this device is not older than that. It's not conclusive but it gives me something specific to search. Thanks!

Back