What's new
What's new

Allen Drill Press Taper Drift Slot Question

John Strange

Aluminum
I came into possession of what I believe to be a Chas G. Allen drill press which has been modified into more of a bench top model by omitting the lower way column and back half of the head casting.

What I'm curious about is the slot where one would insert a drift to break loose the Morse #1 taper.

Admittedly I have next to no experience with machinery of the vintage, but I've never seen a drift slot that was "keyhole shaped" before, only oblong slotted.

Was this common for the era, a bit of styling by the manufacture, or is there something more to it that I'm not aware of??

Thoughts would be most appreciated.

Resized for PM 1.jpgResized fro PM 2.jpg

I came into possession of what I believe to be a Chas G. Allen drill press which has been modified into more of a bench top model by omitting the lower way column and back half of the head casting.

What I'm curious about is the slot where one would insert a drift to break loose the Morse #1 taper.

Admittedly I have next to no experience with machinery of the vintage, but I've never seen a drift slot that was "keyhole shaped" before, only oblong slotted.

Was this common for the era, a bit of styling by the manufacture, or is there something more to it that I'm not aware of??

Thoughts would be most appreciated.

View attachment 325566View attachment 325567

Some drifts had a rounded rib on the "away" side.

I'd guess those - in combination with the azure style you have - would be less prone to the raised welts that can accumulate at the upper-end of the common straight-sided, rounded-end, but same included diameter are victim to?

IOW "Odd, but odd in a good way, not a bad way."

They are still in business, I called and spoke to them a few years ago about a much bigger allen drill that I have. That one you have is a cute baby compared to mine.

Thanks for the reply. I was surprised to discover they were still in business myself as I was trying to find out info on the press.

At that stage of the game I didn't even know if it was an Allen, I just saw one single photo of one that was similar, but at that time I also didn't realize this one had been cut down, so I was chasing windmills in trying to find a photo match.

In my search I saw many of the MUCH larger ones, and they are impressive. considering how relentlessly heavy this little one is... I don't even want to know what some of the big boys weigh.

Some drifts had a rounded rib on the "away" side.

I'd guess those - in combination with the azure style you have - would be less prone to the raised welts that can accumulate at the upper-end of the common straight-sided, rounded-end, but same included diameter are victim to?

IOW "Odd, but odd in a good way, not a bad way."

Ahh ha! Some having a rounded rib is the very info I was looking for. Thank you. It makes sense to have a more "precision" positive contact when striking something (especially a machine tool).

I can only imagine, but I would guess this was meant as a sensitive or light duty drill? It's unusual in a good way to have all this cast iron for just a MT #1. Definitely built to last.

Ahh ha! Some having a rounded rib is the very info I was looking for. Thank you. It makes sense to have a more "precision" positive contact when striking something (especially a machine tool).

I can only imagine, but I would guess this was meant as a sensitive or light duty drill? It's unusual in a good way to have all this cast iron for just a MT #1. Definitely built to last.

Most have the crowned back, but flushed at the sides. I meant a top rib that overhangs, much as if it were a round rod with a fin hanging down to form the wedge.

I have a fairly comprehensive set of MT drills. Too lazy to go look. IIRC MT #1 gets up to over a 1/4"? I don't consider anything above a #1 drill as 'sensitive", though. OTOH, a(ny) MT gets you a tiny chuck or even a collet system, such as ER.

Sigorney (P&W div of Niles) was mentioned.

I grew up on Adolf Muehlmatt/Hamiltons, found my Electro-Mecano whilst searching for a nice one of those.

"if I could only have ONE.." Rebuilt Clausing with the variator belt drive head. Floor model, not "benchtop", though.

Powermatic made a workalike, too. Durable enough. But it shouted "CHEAPSKATE" right out load!

Back