Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Allen Drill Press Taper Drift Slot Question

I came into possession of what I believe to be a Chas G. Allen drill press which has been modified into more of a bench top model by omitting the lower way column and back half of the head casting.

What I'm curious about is the slot where one would insert a drift to break loose the Morse #1 taper.

Admittedly I have next to no experience with machinery of the vintage, but I've never seen a drift slot that was "keyhole shaped" before, only oblong slotted.

Was this common for the era, a bit of styling by the manufacture, or is there something more to it that I'm not aware of??

Thoughts would be most appreciated.

resized-pm-1.jpgresized-fro-pm-2.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They are still in business, I called and spoke to them a few years ago about a much bigger allen drill that I have. That one you have is a cute baby compared to mine.

3. Likes John Strange liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by John Strange View Post
    I came into possession of what I believe to be a Chas G. Allen drill press which has been modified into more of a bench top model by omitting the lower way column and back half of the head casting.

What I'm curious about is the slot where one would insert a drift to break loose the Morse #1 taper.

Admittedly I have next to no experience with machinery of the vintage, but I've never seen a drift slot that was "keyhole shaped" before, only oblong slotted.

Was this common for the era, a bit of styling by the manufacture, or is there something more to it that I'm not aware of??

Thoughts would be most appreciated.

resized-pm-1.jpgresized-fro-pm-2.jpg
    Some drifts had a rounded rib on the "away" side.

I'd guess those - in combination with the azure style you have - would be less prone to the raised welts that can accumulate at the upper-end of the common straight-sided, rounded-end, but same included diameter are victim to?

IOW "Odd, but odd in a good way, not a bad way."

5. Likes John Strange liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob F. View Post
    They are still in business, I called and spoke to them a few years ago about a much bigger allen drill that I have. That one you have is a cute baby compared to mine.
    Thanks for the reply. I was surprised to discover they were still in business myself as I was trying to find out info on the press.

At that stage of the game I didn't even know if it was an Allen, I just saw one single photo of one that was similar, but at that time I also didn't realize this one had been cut down, so I was chasing windmills in trying to find a photo match.

In my search I saw many of the MUCH larger ones, and they are impressive. considering how relentlessly heavy this little one is... I don't even want to know what some of the big boys weigh.

Thanks

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Some drifts had a rounded rib on the "away" side.

I'd guess those - in combination with the azure style you have - would be less prone to the raised welts that can accumulate at the upper-end of the common straight-sided, rounded-end, but same included diameter are victim to?

IOW "Odd, but odd in a good way, not a bad way."

Ahh ha! Some having a rounded rib is the very info I was looking for. Thank you. It makes sense to have a more "precision" positive contact when striking something (especially a machine tool).

I can only imagine, but I would guess this was meant as a sensitive or light duty drill? It's unusual in a good way to have all this cast iron for just a MT #1. Definitely built to last.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by John Strange View Post
    Ahh ha! Some having a rounded rib is the very info I was looking for. Thank you. It makes sense to have a more "precision" positive contact when striking something (especially a machine tool).

I can only imagine, but I would guess this was meant as a sensitive or light duty drill? It's unusual in a good way to have all this cast iron for just a MT #1. Definitely built to last.
    Most have the crowned back, but flushed at the sides. I meant a top rib that overhangs, much as if it were a round rod with a fin hanging down to form the wedge.

I have a fairly comprehensive set of MT drills. Too lazy to go look. IIRC MT #1 gets up to over a 1/4"? I don't consider anything above a #1 drill as 'sensitive", though. OTOH, a(ny) MT gets you a tiny chuck or even a collet system, such as ER.

Sigorney (P&W div of Niles) was mentioned.

I grew up on Adolf Muehlmatt/Hamiltons, found my Electro-Mecano whilst searching for a nice one of those.

"if I could only have ONE.." Rebuilt Clausing with the variator belt drive head. Floor model, not "benchtop", though.

Powermatic made a workalike, too. Durable enough. But it shouted "CHEAPSKATE" right out load!