What's new
What's new

American Airplane Industry and Machine Tools During WW 2

Richard King

Diamond
I just watched this on the Science Channel. It has some war info, but there are many parts showing the history of the American airplane history and how they used machine tools. Reminds me of the stories my Mom and Dad told me about WW 2. My Dad worked in a Defense plant making Naval guns and Bomb sites. My mom worked during the day at a department store and at night ripped sheets apart making bandages. She had 3 brothers in the the foot soldier army and army air-corps.
Discovery & Boeing Proudly Present | The Age of Aerospace

Thanks for posting this! My grandfather's father and grandfather were machinists at a ship yard in New Orleans making boats for the war effort while his oldest brother was in the navy. People who experienced those times and the sacrifices and the unity we had as a country have a unique perspective I think most of our leaders lack.

I cannot view this at work, but I sent the link to myself; shall look at it after work. My two cents on the topic: when I was learning to be a good layout inspector years (actually decades) ago I would periodically check our surface plate equipment. We had a lot of material made by Taft-Peirce that was WWII vintage, and used by the shop back then. I was amazed, at the time, when I verified the parallelism and squareness of a 18x24x20 slotted angle plate and found the max deviation to be .0002

Fascinating. Nice find, Richard !

Well worth the time to view, and couldn't have been better timing in your posting of this.

Dan L

One of the coolest things about having moved to Conroe is that we are close to the airport. When I first figured this out, I thought we'd have to put up with planes flying over our house all the time, but its actually pretty quiet. The cool part is that there are routinely WW2 aircraft flying over our area, so now I'm always running out to catch a glimpse of a pair of fighters or a B-17 circling the area.

When I see planes from this time, I'm reminded of how many awsome advances in technology were made in our military around WW2, and just how hard people on the homefront worked to keep our guys well equipped. I'm glad our armed servicemen so often get the respect they deserve, but I wish more people remembered the engineers, machinists, and all the other workers who had loved ones fighting abroad and were putting their all into their work because of it. It was a completely different dynamic in that time.

Seeing old bombers fly makes me tear up.

Back