What's new
What's new

American Tool Works planer has new home

kevin johnson

Cast Iron
Platen is 20” x 82.5”. 24” between the columns and looks like 26” under the cross slide. Seems to be in fairly good shape. Definitely not new but not clapped out by any means. Not rust free but very close. It had been converted to electric motor. The guy I bought it from had bought a number of machines to get a crankshaft grinder. The guy he got it from kept the motor as he said it was 2 phase. I know 2 phase exists, but have never seen it in my part of the world

I would be interested in any information on this planer that anyone has. I have seen the information on Vintage Machinery.

There is a video on one that YouTube that the owner had ways and platen reground. Mine has round holes milled in the ways that have spring loaded rollers to oil the ways. The one on YouTube had a different system apparently. Rectangles in the ways for oil.

The outside drive pulley has been replaced with one with curved spokes instead of the original straight spoke. One belt shifter looks like it has been repaired. It has a history.

I have been wire wheeling the base and columns. The color as purchased was a combination of oil and dirt. Some of the paint was peeling pretty badly, hence the wire wheel. The color under the grunge is grey with black under the grey. I pulled the first reduction gear off and it is grey only on both sides. It is possible that the black was a “primer” on the rough castings.

It is mine and I know I can do as I wish. I was, and or am, leaning towards painting it black. My small early planer has never been repainted and is black. I like the look. If it was sold new grey, I hate to change colors now. I have not located a serial number yet.

The other machine is a number 2 Mitts and Merrill keyseater. I already have a 6a Mitts and Merrill in the shed and have done a few jobs with. Haven’t decided what I intend to do with it yet.

Anyone with information please chime in.

Thanks,
Kevin

Attachments

• 36C96206-2252-4273-A37D-AC7C21EE29BC.jpg
    36C96206-2252-4273-A37D-AC7C21EE29BC.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 318
Have taken some time and done a little investigation. The serial number is 15344 and is stamped on the tool head. It looks identical to the planer on a postcard postmarked 1903 on Vintage Machines website. The link donie posted resembles the catalog that is listed as a 1912 on Vintage Machines. They both have squared off ends as opposed to the cantilevered end ways This one has. At this point the serial number does not reveal much as the earliest number the show is 51355 for December 1920.
I am still inclined to go with black paint.

Last edited:
Cretedog, let me know if you still need information on the feed mechanism, mine looks to be complete. That is allowing for the replacement idler pulley.
Thanks,
Kevin

333C65EB-0D58-4A46-8F26-3C6391776D1D.jpg
Been making some progress. Planer bed and uprights have been primed and painted. Some parts looked like they may have started grey and some may have started black.
There was a fairly heavy base coat that was black on a lot of castings. I think it may have been a primer, filler coat.
I wire wheeled it down to base metal and primed it. Followed with two coats of gray. After some soul searching,I decided I really preferred black. Now it is wearing another 2 coats of black.
Working on cleaning and painting the small parts to start reassembly. Bronze bull gear pinion had a lot of wear. I finished hobbing a new one this afternoon. Bull gear still looks good.

I have only had to work on one all black machine.Repairing not operating.It was in an area that had poor lighting and I hated to work on that thing it was like being sucked into black hole!

At least with lighter colors small stuff sticks out and is easier to find.
When I see the pictures of the old machines that were all black with polished handles they look really sharp.

Back