What's new
What's new

American Tool Works Radial Drill - need born date

oldisnew

Aluminum
Acquired a American Tool Works 9" column, 3' arm radial drill. Overall in good shape, does need some minor work on the arm swivel brake and feed clutch, maybe adjustment will take care of it, not sure yet. I would like to
know the manufacture date. The serial number is (see pic) 70067, 47. I would guess from the mid thirties to mid forties.
Maybe John O. would know?

Attachments

• IMG_1505.jpg
    IMG_1505.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_1507.jpg
    IMG_1507.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_1508.jpg
    IMG_1508.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_1509.jpg
    IMG_1509.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 192
Don't know about when, but you could say that they had plenty of time to get them right

Scan from 1919

Attachments

• ATW Radial Drill Teens.jpg
    ATW Radial Drill Teens.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 108
That's one fine looking machine. Congratulations. FWIW (which ain't much) I have a similar sized drill and I find I am using it much more than I had anticipated. They are just a lot of fun to run.

John

The real joy of a big radial is power tapping a bunch of big holes. I used to dread big pipe flanges with 12 or 16 3/4 or 7/8" holes before we got the radial drill at work. I look forward to them now. The machine st work has a tapping feature that uses a microswitch to reverse the spindle at a preset depth. Even on blind holes, you just set the depth, hit the GO button and engage the tap. Other than moving the arm and head to the next hole, that is all the effort required of the operator.

Get a more detailed pic of the head controls and I can probably tell you if that machine has a similar feature. It probably does, given that it is a post-war machine.

Back