Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default AMT lathe

I have an old AMT lathe, I can't find any information on it aside from a few posts on lathe.co.uk. does anyone have any information on this specific machine such as a parts manual or a shop manual?

img_20191231_222730_397.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Tony says, "The metal-turning AMT lathe is rare", on his site. Not a heck of a lot of info out there, apparently.

Dan

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah I saw that, figures I'd get something this rare but at least it was free! It seems to be a good running machine, I'd just love to find a thread dial for it but it seems like I'm going to be out of luck there

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You could probably adapt a used thread dial from another lathe that has a lead screw of the same number of threads per inch and roughly the same diameter so that the gear at the bottom will fit.
    That lathe looks like it might take a thread dial that is longer than most but you could likely adapt a shorter one by adding a bracket to the side of the carriage.
    Regards,
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Int the 70’s there was adds on the inside back cover for AMT tools. I have never seen a metal lathe offered. I bought a belt sander at nan auction over 30 years ago, there was a reason they were priced cheap. It was unusable by the time I got it it had bronze bearings where there should have been ball. It also had wooden rollers, POS.
    Any one else remember them, or had an experience with them?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pipelinetrash207 View Post
    Yeah I saw that, figures I'd get something this rare but at least it was free! It seems to be a good running machine, I'd just love to find a thread dial for it but it seems like I'm going to be out of luck there
    Threading without a dial is easy. Just back the cross slide as normal and reverse the spindle, back the carriage to where the thread starts without opening the half nuts and take the next cut.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Christie View Post
    You could probably adapt a used thread dial from another lathe that has a lead screw of the same number of threads per inch and roughly the same diameter so that the gear at the bottom will fit.
    That lathe looks like it might take a thread dial that is longer than most but you could likely adapt a shorter one by adding a bracket to the side of the carriage.
    Regards,
    Jim
    So I'm fairly new with metal lathes but how would I go about finding one that fits? I assume i just count how many threads are within an inch and go from there?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

While the lathe in this thread is larger than yours , the basics about thread dials and lead screw pitch are covered here that may give you some ideas .
    Edumacate me on thread dials...
    Once you determine the diameter and pitch of your lead screw someone may have suggestions to help find something that would work for you.
    All I have time for at the moment .
    Regards,
    Jim

P.S. you do not need a threading dial to disengage the half nuts if the thread you are cutting is a multiple of the threads per inch of the lead screw .
    If your lead screw is 8 threads per inch then you can cut 8,16, 24, 32,40 48. threads per inch and engage at any point with out the thread dial.
    Similarly if it is 6 threads you can cut 6,12, 18 ,24,30 and so on TPI.