What's new
What's new

ancient motorcycle parts

I think you may be on the wrong forum. On this sub-forum Antique Machinery refers to machine tools (lathes, milling machines, shapers, etc.). I would suggest searching for antique motorcycle enthusiast sites.

1) draw part.

2) make part.

3) install part on motorbike.

4) put drawing of part into folder "bike parts drawings.'

5) ride, then repeat to (1) above.

To expand with what Jim Rozen has to say: Google "Pavel Malinek" and you will see a gifted engineer/machinist building complete re-creations of very early motorcycles. Pavel Malinek does this on manual machine tools without benefit of CNC (Computer Numerical Control) and from the looks of it, no DRO (digital readout) on his machine tools. He's re-created some incredible early motorcycles.

If you are chasing after antique motorcycle parts, I'd say you are a day late and a dollar short. Many early motorcycles were scrapped as rapid advances in motorcycle design happened. Many were scrapped in WWII scrap metal drives. Then the old bikes became scarce and collectable. Add the arrival of the internet to the mix and the odds of finding a true 'barn find' at bargain prices are almost non existent. Add a program like "American Pickers" and the prices they pay for old motorcycle parts and related memorabilia, and you are that 'dollar short'.

On the other hand, there are huge swap meets for antique motorcycles and parts at places like Wauseon, Ohio, and Rhinebeck, NY (which are the only two such meets I can think of). You are not specific as to what type of parts you are looking for, let alone any specifics as to motorcycle manufacturers, years, models, engine sizes, etc. We specialize in antique machine tools on this 'board, but plenty of us do own, work on, and ride older motorcycles.

As an example of a great restoration: a mechanic in my area found an Indian motorcycle from the 'teens sitting derelict in the woods near his home. The motorcycle was basically a rusted frame, dented and rusted tank, engine and wheel hubs with all else either missing or rusted away. The mechanic spent the next few years restoring that Indian. He told me he paid (and this is easily close to 40 years ago) a price which, to me, seemed incredibly high, for a dented and partially flattened Indian battery box. He needed the sheet metal to use as a pattern to make a replica. When he got done with the project, he had a museum quality restoration of that old Indian. He rode it some, then put it on display in his living room. I know he had some of us who are local machinists making parts, and things like studbolts, heavier or special pattern fasteners, priming petcocks, axles and more were made by local machinists for this fellow. If you want to work on and restore antique motorcycles, you need to learn a very important word for most of the parts you need: UNOBTAINIUM. Machine shop work like boring and sleeving a cylinder, fitting a new piston, making valves and valve seats, and plenty more are what restorers of old motorcycles and cars often wind up doing. They get familiar with things like the "English Wheel" and similar for making fenders and tanks from scratch. We, on this 'board, are setup to work on old machine tools, and old machine tool parts are something we do discuss. Many times, the situation is much the same as antique motorcycle parts. We call it 'reverse engineering' and making what you need with what you have on hand. Take a look at what Alan Millyard has accomplished with the motorcycles and motorcycle engines he's built in a very simple home shop. Alan Millyard has built some incredible motorcycles with very basic machine tools and quite a bit of imagination and skill. He built one motorcycle called "The Flying Millyard" using two cylinders and pistons from a WWII era Pratt & Whitney radial aircraft engine. Another motorcycle he built is a vee-twin conversion of a vintage Velocette. Both of these are incredible machines and worth visiting the youtube sites about them.

Asking about 'antique motorcycle parts' is like asking about a tree in a forest, without telling what forest location and what specie of tree and what size/maturity of that tree you are looking for.

A definition of ancient would go a long way 1900- 1910? 1910-1920 ? etc Followed by American? Harley? Indian? Ace? etc there were over 200 brands in United States alone or else where probably as many or more world over, Followed by What you are looking for Motor parts? Sheet metal parts [ tank , fenders, etc]? frame, forks, or wheels? etc you will have much more cooperation if you fill in the blanks
There is a lot of knowledge here if asked in correct manor.
I myself can made sheet metal fenders to a wide variety of shapes and sizes if you can define. Or are you wanting original parts only. Help may come you way if asked correctly

I have been surprised at how many NOS parts I have been able to find for this one, 1941 Indian four, but I wouldn't call it ancient. The powerplant was used from 38-42 but the bike is basically 1 year only as in 42 there were only a handful made. There are still good old parts out there but as stated above, a guy would have to have a more specific list than just "ancient"
IMG_1156 (1).jpg
IMG_1157 (1).jpg
IMG_1158 (1).jpg

I am a keen young motorcycle restorer,and would like some of you crusty old hoarders to give me a bike to restore......not some pos BSA,but an Indian Powerplus ,or maybe a barn find knucklehead.......Aaaand ,I promise not to flip it on fleaB ,like I did with the last one I was given.

I am a keen young motorcycle restorer,and would like some of you crusty old hoarders to give me a bike to restore......not some pos BSA,but an Indian Powerplus ,or maybe a barn find knucklehead.......Aaaand ,I promise not to flip it on fleaB ,like I did with the last one I was given.

There are a couple of local folks who drive knucleheads around here. in any condition those are appx $100k vehicles.

I just made some plaques for a guy making table lamps from a stock of power plus engines
D138180C-EB3A-4A84-AD6C-3E1976F9A98A.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2264.jpg
    IMG_2264.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 120

So why do you consider a BSA a pos? And as they made so many different models over many years, which one do you not like?

I have about 30 old bikes from a 1929 AJS up to modern bikes. And even have a 1950 BSA.

The Indian power plus is certainly a desirable bike but the Harley Knuckle head is a overweight, under powered, handles like shit and generally not a very good bike. And yes I have ridden both bikes. The Knuckle head was not in production long before the pan-head replaced it.

If you really want one, buy a new Harley. You will get the same overpriced, overweight, under powered and bad handling bike as they made in the 1930's. And you won't have to restore it!

"So why do you consider a BSA a pos?" OK, I'll bite. My first street bike was a 1964 BSA A50 500cc, and I consider it a total POS. A) You had better threadlock every single fastener on that thing. It would shake off anything: oil cap, hell even the license plate. 2) good luck keeping your garage clean, it leaked oil from several places, even the cases. That same year, Honda was making bikes that you could park on your living room rug if you wanted to. 3) most unreliable machine I've ever owned, period. Stranded me so many interesting places... 4) Don't even get me started on the electrics.

From the day I sold it, I've never owned another British machine, and never will. Fifty years behind working half-days to catch up... Probably the same will be said about USA made iron soon. Currently, my oldest bike is a '77 BMW R100/7, which isn't exactly up to modern standards but is still a pretty damn good bike for being 44 years old. Still riding a '95 Honda XR600 that's never ever going to die. Other than that, modern KTMs and a Suzuki. The progress these machines have made in effectiveness, reliability, comfort, speed, hp/cc, is simply remarkable.

I think mine is maybe considered a '78 too, but made in 77. I have to admit, old bikes are cool but since I moved to SoCal a few years ago from Pittsburgh, the WeeStrom is seeing most of the street time. The BMW can't handle the speeds here on the freeway. Back roads are fun but if you want to get anywhere, you have to slab it here at least some of the way. Lane splitting is thing here too, and at first it freaked me out but I've learned to do it relatively safely in heavy traffic (common of course). Dirt bikes are my favorite thing though, hoping to keep doing that five more years anyway. Shoulder surgery coming up from a 2019 crash though, ugh.

Well having owned and ridden every Limey bike from Ariel to Velocette for quite a few years I only came home in the back of a truck once! Right after I drug my Vincent out of a barn about a week later the mag quit making sparks. Got it home and the mag apart ! Pieces of dead bug got into the points !!

But as to BSA A-50 A-65 being shakers YOU BET !! Rode one of the rare '71 wet frame 750s and that sucker was much smother. The A-50-65 series bikes had a rear chain oiler that fed off the primary case !!! DUMB All that did was drip on ground and for most riders wear out the primary chain because they rarely check that oil level. But I did love my Earls forked BMWs ,had about 7 of them in the garage in the 90s. R-50,60,69S,and a R75 conversion .2 With sidecars.

"So why do you consider a BSA a pos?" OK, I'll bite. My first street bike was a 1964 BSA A50 500cc, and I consider it a total POS. A) You had better threadlock every single fastener on that thing. It would shake off anything: oil cap, hell even the license plate. 2) good luck keeping your garage clean, it leaked oil from several places, even the cases. That same year, Honda was making bikes that you could park on your living room rug if you wanted to. 3) most unreliable machine I've ever owned, period. Stranded me so many interesting places... 4) Don't even get me started on the electrics.

From the day I sold it, I've never owned another British machine, and never will. Fifty years behind working half-days to catch up... Probably the same will be said about USA made iron soon. Currently, my oldest bike is a '77 BMW R100/7, which isn't exactly up to modern standards but is still a pretty damn good bike for being 44 years old. Still riding a '95 Honda XR600 that's never ever going to die. Other than that, modern KTMs and a Suzuki. The progress these machines have made in effectiveness, reliability, comfort, speed, hp/cc, is simply remarkable.

I believe at one time BSA was the largest producer of motorcycles in the world. Some stunning bikes. Gold Stars for example DBD34 Clubmans represent state of the art I guess in singles.

Problem is most people living experienced what was built in the mid or late 1960's and by that time BSA just like other Brit bike manufacturers were just plain worn out. Old technology produced by worn out machines, and on and on. The BSA A65 "unit" engine had some really bad design issues. The Triumphs in the same time frame were somewhat better. Norton's the same.

Have a 1968 BSA Spitfire and a 1967 Triumph Bonneville in storage, and used to ride both back the day, can only say that if you like to turn wrench on motorcycles Brit bikes we certainly fulfill your lust. 'Ya got to speak the Brit lingo....Zener diode, positive ground, "tickle" the carb to start, Amal carbs--Monoblocs, Concentrics....Oh yeah.

But....The Bonneville...sure sounds good. Maybe I'll push them out and run them...if I can find some good gas.

But as to BSA A-50 A-65 being shakers YOU BET !! ...

Dunno about that. I had anA65T (single carb, 'thunderbolt') that was actually real smooth. Great fun when it ran well. Lots of oomph. But never trust a bike with an ammeter in the headlight bucket. It's there for a reason.

The BMW can't handle the speeds here on the freeway. ...

Mine sort of runs out of poop around 95-100 mph. It might be that maybe I run out of interest in riding above that on a bike with a 70s suspension....

+1 on the dual sports, my favorite commuter is a DRZ-400 given the state of the roads around here.

Back