What's new
What's new

Anderle Steyr Shaper Lubrication

ovidiumght

Plastic
Hey Guys,

I recently purchased an Austrian made Anderle Steyr Shaper, it was filled with grease by the previous owner. I cleaned the old grease and chips from the inside, but have no idea bout ow I should oil the bull gear, and the sliding arms inside. The adjusting of the travel is done via some gears and dovetails, I imagine it's not ok to use grease on those, as that will attract chips.

It seems to have an oil pan on the bottom side, but I don't see any way the oil would get to the gears, it has no oil pump, and the gear is much higher than I can fill it with oil, beacause oil will pour out of the gearbox pulley. Also, it seems it just has an oil fitting at the top, and a tube that directs the oil to the big rocking arm. I will attach some pictures.

Any ideas? Is lubricating it with grease an option? Or I should oil it everytime I use it with oil? Any advice would be appreciated.

This is the model:
YouTube

c23a96ff-1cc8-400c-b8a7-d0470cccbe93.jpg
074396d8-9502-4473-9814-540ce362cc10.jpg
2094763f-cf95-4450-968b-f8e5b4215ded.jpg
2d2c6fac-a1ec-465c-bb29-e4f4cf68c8a9.jpg
30ccf74c-4e2e-47fc-8da6-c6679c5daa52.jpg

This is the lubrication plate, I don't understand what hydraulics means for this machine:

36ab094c-4e13-4e25-a9ce-a1f3f7f207c4.jpg

Translation (with google translate):

For lubrication of this high performance shaper we recommend for:
Oil lubrication points:
SHELL TELLUS OIL 33

Rolling stock (Rolling-element bearing):
SHELL ALVANIA GREASE 3

Closed gearbox:
SHELL VITREA OIL 41

Hydarulik:

SHELL TELLUS OIL 27

Any advice would be appreciated

However its done, these have to have non failing lube supply

Sliding block and crank pin in vertical arm
Ram ways
Transmission gearing / bearings
Main shaft bearings for bull gear
Feed works and table ways

A common way with a pump is to have an upper reservoir which the pump fills (from sump reservoir) and tubes from upper reservoir feed lube points by gravity. Thumbnail my reservoir on the 36" Ohio. The upper "bolts" adjust flow

There are electric lube pumps made by such as Bijur

In the meantime, oil everything before every run:)

By far the hardest working item is the sliding block in the vertical arm

Attachments

• DCP_0654.JPG
    DCP_0654.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 100
Thank you. So I should use oil and not grease? This shaper doesn't have any pump I can see, just lube points.

I am guessing if I keep adding oil the bottom pan will fill up and oil will drip through the pulley location.

Will try to run it tomorrow, will oil everything and hope for the best :)

I should use oil and not grease?

That would be my thought

Grease is fine for certain applications. Millions and millions of ball bearings are grease lubricated because their housings (or the bearing details) are designed to CAPTURE the grease. I can't think of any part of the shaper that would lend itself to this concept except maybe the main shaft bearings for the bull gear

Here is a thought:

If no lubricating oil pump is found, and no mounting/location for one exists, maybe there never was a lubricating oil pump. Possibly, if there was never a lubricating oil pump, there was a system of "splash lubrication". The bull gear might bring up oil on its teeth and dump it into a trough at the highest point inside the shaper main frame. The oil coming off the bull gear teeth would then flow by gravity to lubricate the other parts such as the slide block.

Look for oil troughs or similar in the main frame casting, and then see if there are drilled oil passages or tubes to conduct the oil to other locations needing lubrication.

If this system of splash/gravity lubrication does not seem to be used in the shaper design, I would suggest draining all the oil and looking at the lowest area inside the main frame casting/oil sump. An oil pump may well have been mounted so it was normally submerged in the oil (similar to the lubricating oil pump on some automobile engines). If you find a location where a lubricating oil pump would have been mounted down in the oil sump, and the oil pump is missing, then you will have to provide another oil pump. As John Oder has written, an electrically driven oil pump is the easiest way to solve that problem.

In your photos, I can see an "X" shaped set of of lubrication grooves. This means oil lubrication was used on those parts.

I have an Anderle Steyr shaper also. It is a slightly different design than yours, but the machine is basically the same.

The closed gearbox is sealed and has a fill-level plug on the right side.

There are no grease points that I can think of offhand, all oil. I have been using Mobil Vactra 2 for all of these.

The machine I have, and the one in the video you posted are copy shapers, hence the hydraulic oil. The hydraulic pump and tank are inside the base of the machine and accessible through the door on the operator side of the base. The table is raised and lowered hydraulically, but can be clamped at any position. You can see the tracer on the machine in the video, non-operator side.

The oil tube in one of your photos is aimed at the top of the sliding block on the bull gear. There is a large hole in the top of the block that should be full of cotton yarn.

I will have a look and see if I can locate the manuals for mine, seems I have stored those in a safe place that I wouldn't forget.

Kevin

I scanned the lubrication instructions out of the manual for my machine. Disregard the instructions for the headstock, as my machine has the dividing head attached.

Attachments

• Anderle Steyr Lube Chart - Copy.jpg
    Anderle Steyr Lube Chart - Copy.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 100
I scanned the lubrication instructions out of the manual for my machine. Disregard the instructions for the headstock, as my machine has the dividing head attached.

Wow, thank you so much! Is your shaper the same as mine? Can I use the oil quantities stated in the manual?

Is there by any chance the procedure to adjust the main ram gib (it's not a gib but a big piece of metal with normal screws on top and gib screws on the side) I can't get that right as much as I try, I can t figure out which screws should be adjusted first.

Thank you again!

Unfortunately, the manual is not of any use for maintenance or adjustments. The ram gib on mine was adjusted using much patience. The top screws should be at least snug, I think, the clearance then being adjusted with the side screws. I would take the ram position clamp off and push the ram by hand to check for binding while adjusting the gib. Be sure to tighten top screws and jam nuts when done and recheck for binding.

My shaper is a Type 46 12". It is configured differently than the one in the video, but the oil type and quantities should get you in the ballpark.

Kevin

Would you happen to have any images or information on your machine? I have been gathering what information I can manage to find on them, which isn't much.

I don't have any photos of mine, but this image is one of the same type.

Kevin

Attachments

• Anderle Steyr Type 46.jpg
    Anderle Steyr Type 46.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 157
Not much. It looks a bit like this. I will take some pics of it tomorrow and post them. I know mine has been built in 1954. I will post pics with all the info plates I have on it.

Hey Kevin,

Here are some more pics of the shaper, with the plates, that's all the info I have about it.d90bffc6-9550-4dfb-8584-fd8a9af9505b.jpg
9d676280-c33f-4038-b902-f3e2d6610e83.jpg
809dc3d6-c661-4659-adc0-b82a5530cb1c.jpg
7348a10f-104b-4aaf-998e-34553effb23b.jpg

Back