• Shepard 3.jpg
    Shepard 3.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 93
  • Shepard 4.jpg
    Shepard 4.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 79
Rules …..?

In the sticky at the top of the page.

"Sticky: Guidelines (please see new rule regarding Craigslist/Ebay/equiv posts)"

"======== Craigslist/Ebay ========

2/2016 - Due to a recent surge in posts containing no content other than a craigslist link, the following guideline applies;

"If the opening post of a thread contains a link to item(s) on craigslist, ebay or similar, the post should also contain relevant images or discussion, and the item(s) in question should be appropriate in the Antique Machinery forum."

Lacking the image/discussion, or if the link's subject is not relevant to the Antique Machinery forum, the thread is subject to deletion by the moderator."

In the sticky at the top of the page.

"Sticky: Guidelines (please see new rule regarding Craigslist/Ebay/equiv posts)"

"======== Craigslist/Ebay ========

2/2016 - Due to a recent surge in posts containing no content other than a craigslist link, the following guideline applies;

"If the opening post of a thread contains a link to item(s) on craigslist, ebay or similar, the post should also contain relevant images or discussion, and the item(s) in question should be appropriate in the Antique Machinery forum."

Lacking the image/discussion, or if the link's subject is not relevant to the Antique Machinery forum, the thread is subject to deletion by the moderator."

It says "should" there skippy.

I'm done trying to help people when I see these things for sale, you'll have to take over.

To get past any acrimony, the point of pictures is "documentation."

Many if not most machine tools of the last century were not built to standards. Catalog pictures may exist, but designs changed sometimes in mid-production, sometimes even after sale when a machine was modified for a particular use.

Once the Craiglist reference ends - the picture ends. And thus makes subsequent "comparison" more difficult.

People interested in acquiring an older machine are usually encouraged in their interest if they can "see" what exactly they are buying. And compare it to other known examples. Or rule it out if they are not pleased or detect a defect. Thus, a pix may not help THAT particular machine tool find a home, but may help another at some future date.

I myself advertised (gloated) here on finding a Putnam lathe but 12" swing and 5' bed on Craigslist - marked 1863 on the nameplate. (Many are - even the later ones) The price was below reasonable. Had I examined the Craigslist pix better I might have seen that the lathe had been "modified" by a re-seller and was thus not original and in fact invokes a challenge to me to "bring it back." (Parts to Putnam lathes 150 years old do not grow on trees!) But I didn't detect fully the design change, ended up buying the lathe and don't regret it as the price was THAT reasonable - and I have plenty of time. Others might think/do otherwise.

Admittedly pix can be a challenge. The software is not intuitive, the multiple pop-ups encountered may be blocked by your own computer, or you may not wish to take the time. So I can't fault anyone who doesn't upload pix. I myself have been enthused about a "find" on Craigslist or elsewhere and in my enthusiasm "forgot." CNCFireman has helped out and filled in more than once as he and I share a similar interest and enthusiasm.

But at least one should know the reason why. And please don't go away disheartened.

There are too many antique machine tools, and too few "custodians."

Joe in NH

To get past any acrimony, the point of pictures is "documentation."

Many if not most machine tools of the last century were not built to standards. Catalog pictures may exist, but designs changed sometimes in mid-production, sometimes even after sale when a machine was modified for a particular use.

Once the Craiglist reference ends - the picture ends. And thus makes subsequent "comparison" more difficult.

People interested in acquiring an older machine are usually encouraged in their interest if they can "see" what exactly they are buying. And compare it to other known examples. Or rule it out if they are not pleased or detect a defect. Thus, a pix may not help THAT particular machine tool find a home, but may help another at some future date.

I myself advertised (gloated) here on finding a Putnam lathe but 12" swing and 5' bed on Craigslist - marked 1863 on the nameplate. (Many are - even the later ones) The price was below reasonable. Had I examined the Craigslist pix better I might have seen that the lathe had been "modified" by a re-seller and was thus not original and in fact invokes a challenge to me to "bring it back." (Parts to Putnam lathes 150 years old do not grow on trees!) But I didn't detect fully the design change, ended up buying the lathe and don't regret it as the price was THAT reasonable - and I have plenty of time. Others might think/do otherwise.

Admittedly pix can be a challenge. The software is not intuitive, the multiple pop-ups encountered may be blocked by your own computer, or you may not wish to take the time. So I can't fault anyone who doesn't upload pix. I myself have been enthused about a "find" on Craigslist or elsewhere and in my enthusiasm "forgot." CNCFireman has helped out and filled in more than once as he and I share a similar interest and enthusiasm.

But at least one should know the reason why. And please don't go away disheartened.

There are too many antique machine tools, and too few "custodians."

Joe in NH

Joe, I fully understand it, but I'm a bit taxed here.
If one of you want to simply grab the screen shots an post them here for posterity, fine,
and I'll appreciate it.

Just don't tell me that I have to doo this.

I'm done trying to help here.

Back