What's new
What's new

Another atlas craftsman lathe id question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Farmer85

Plastic
Hello all, im a newbie here. I pickup up this lathe at a local estate auction. It appears to be in great shape. I did not get a manual and see online that i need to know more specifically which model it is. Ive looked all over the bed for a tag and find nothing nor even a place where it used to be. I see casting numbers. Can someone please help me figure what ive got here? If you tell me what to look for i will write back. Thanks in advance. 20190909_195717.jpg

Ok then thanks for all your help. Ive been a member of several different forums and this is the first time ive EVER felt like i wasnt welcone. Why dont you 2 Aholes just say to go F off. How would of of known that you have specific guidlines on what you want to talk about? Oh im a mind reader ok. All i was asking for was a little more help on what era this thing was from. Ever thought maybe it would be helpful to have a group specific to craftsman lathes? My god.

Did you read the rules? They were created by the site's owner, not us. The rules specifically forbid discussion of home shop type brands including mini lathes and the brand you have.

Your response indicates that if you leave here you won't be missed. Others who have had their mistake pointed out have said "sorry, should have read closer" and found out this can be a very useful and helpful forum even to amateurs if they play nice with the other kids in the sandbox.

And how you would have known of the rules is if you bothered to read them before posting. I believe when you signed up you were provided with links to discussion guidelines.

Ok then thanks for all your help. Ive been a member of several different forums and this is the first time ive EVER felt like i wasnt welcone. Why dont you 2 Aholes just say to go F off. How would of of known that you have specific guidlines on what you want to talk about? Oh im a mind reader ok. All i was asking for was a little more help on what era this thing was from. Ever thought maybe it would be helpful to have a group specific to craftsman lathes? My god.

The gloves are NOW off....and the tinfoil hat is now ON.

Quoted for archival purposes (can't edit it out)

Here are the official discussion guidelines as outlined by the site's owner.

Machinery Discussion Guidelines

reproduced below

Note this is the is the Manufacturing Forum, not the home shop machinist forum. And while all levels of "how to" metalworking or woodworking questions regarding technique are welcome here, we are drawing the line at discussing manual "home shop grade" Asian machine tools and hand tools.

Note I said "home shop grade" Larger and/or higher quality Asian machines that might be used in manufacturing or job shop setting are ok to discuss.

The discouragement of HSM grade Asian machine discussion is partially because they have all ready been discussed to death here, and partically because they are not used (or at shouldn't be) in any manufacturing/job shop envirnoments.

For these machines, there are other sites such as the HSM Magazine forum, Chaski forum and various Yahoo Groups that are more appropriate.

========================

UPDATE-

Also not allowed for discussions on PM now-

*Atlas/ Craftsman/Dunlap products - anywhere

*Sherline and Taig - anywhere, including CNC versions

*Hacksaws- anywhere

*Horizontal shapers - Antique Machinery forum only

Last edited by Milacron; 01-31-2013 at 10:35 PM

Well i must say i do appologize, i never would of thought that an atlas lathe would be in the same category as a chinese harbor freight lathe. Maybe to you all it is. I would of NEVER imagined i was asking about something forbidden here. You guys sure didnt have to respond like you did. Did i read the rules? NO onviously not. Why ask? Your obviously tired of guys asking about them so why not open a discussion for them? You dont have to read it. At any rate back to your scheduled programming. Sorry i wasted your time. Its ok im gone.

The funny thing is even the Harbor Fright 12" lathes are better than a Atlas and I have experience with both.
PS Look on right end of bed for a tag .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back