What's new
What's new

Another Basic Unimat thread.

Gary- this is not a professional grade machine and is not to be discussed here. There are other sites better suited to the topic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

i agree if that is the terms of this site, Why cant there be a forum added? Basically all my machines and work ARE a hobby anyway. And if no, why is there a woodworking forum on a machinist page?

Because the owner doesn’t want model making lathes and toys clogging up the place. There are a couple forums that don’t directly relate, like Antiques and Southbend, but his site, his rules.

Because the owner doesn’t want model making lathes and toys clogging up the place. There are a couple forums that don’t directly relate, like Antiques and Southbend, but his site, his rules.

I understand That rules are rules and I will obey them, But at what point does the defining line between industrial machines and "toys" kick in ? My reason for mentioning this point is as follows I recently picked up a Zyto lathe (British make) 3 and a quarter inch centre height with lines and features not unlike many of its big sisters in industry, O.K. it is generally considered a model makers lathe of the 1930-57 period, a man I have spoken to in the last year picked up one for his model making , his little machine came out of industry. Do I also lump my Boley & Leinen lathe into toys class by reason of its size I personally feel we miss out on some magnificent items of technology by being a bit too rigid.

I understand That rules are rules and I will obey them, But at what point does the defining line between industrial machines and "toys" kick in ? ....

Maybe price and original customer base would help distinguish between industrial machines and toys.

In 1965, I bought a new Unimat SL for $139.95. It was sort of "advanced toy quality" then and it still is, though I made some nice stuff on it. It would be hard to think of one as an industrial machine, though the same company's Maximat lathes were used in industry. I was glad to get shed of it long ago.

I bought my first American Watch Tool Co. WW watch lathe in 1958. They were made for people who made their living repairing watches, but are certainly toy size. I sold a very nice one recently for $1000. That company was absorbed by F. W. Derbyshire, which carries on to this day, making small precision lathes.

I have a pile of Levin and Derbyshire lathes, with the WW 8 mm, the 10 mm and 3C collet size. In the beginning, they were made for watch repair, but they were also sold to industries that made tiny parts. The beds vary from 12 to 20 inches long, so they could be called toy size. But both companies are still in business and a new Levin lathe is priced from $10,000 to $25,500. A slide rest is another $4200, a turret is $6300, a double tool cross slide is $4000 and a 3-jaw chuck is $3500. A set of collets is $29,100. I guess, in a sense, they become "toys" when I can afford to buy used ones on eBay for a few hundred bucks, but they are still industrial machines.

And yes, I do have a couple Leinen watch lathes, which are similar in quality to Derbyshire and Levin.

Larry

Back