What's new
What's new

Another DIAMOND MILL surfaces!

Ricochet lab

Plastic
The more i find out about these mills the more excited i get! this newbie scored... (i think)
Once i see the posting works i have a few Q's about her. :D

Attachments

• IMG_3399.jpg
    IMG_3399.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_3398.jpg
    IMG_3398.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_3401.jpg
    IMG_3401.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_3400.JPG
    IMG_3400.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 92
The more i find out about these mills the more excited i get! this newbie scored... (i think)
Once i see the posting works i have a few Q's about her. :D

That can wait.

First order of bizness is to sacrifice a Goat for yer great good fortune.

I recommend the Argentine manner of roasting. You are permitted to eat of it.

Which is a Very Good Thing.

You will need the nutrition to sustain you, going forward..

You'd have to know "Old Iron Disease"?

:D

Search also on "Fray" mills.

swords and aprons , i'll start a fire immediatly :o

Yah best build the brick "corner reflector" to lean the iron bar wth the goat carcass on over the wood fire FIRST. Mortar needs to set-up...

:)

More seriously..

Among the most "productive" of small mills for their VERY modest space budget, the El Cheapo USMT/Burke, the most-commonly found Nichols in the middle.

... Annnnnd ....the MUCH more nicely fitted, but rare as dentures for poultry, "Diamond" at the high-end. Hence the goat roast... looks as if yah done good!

See also Fray for "kissing cousins", commercially and "some" component / subsystem parts commonality, latter years, and Sheldon for same workspace envelope / target market.

Because... tooling and workholding have extensive overlaps, this whole tribe and a few more. B&S #9 is one of the more common for spindles, to name one.

Rusnok heads were still being made, brand-new and in the USA not too long ago as well. Not sure if that is still the case.

Lighter than BirdPort heads, but nearly always higher RPM as well, so they could be fair friendly to use with modern carbides.

Enjoy!

Ill consider that a WARM welcome.

The story is I found this on Craig's List while looking for a BP mill which I knew was too big for my space and was lucky enough to score it for a pretty good price. She's in great shape, lots of cake frosting on the ways still. I bought it from the daughter of a retired Boeing Guy and he bought it from Boeing when he retired. I put the yellow dress on her. I hope that's ok with you all. I have some of the missing horizontal mill parts, etc. and I am trying to get the H mill running as well as the rusok.

Now for a couple of questions: 1)I've read a lot on this forum and it seems that BS9 is not impossible to find but also not easily found. I've also seen that the new stuff doesn't seem to have a very good reputation. Should I be scooping up all vintage BS9 that I see or just the stuff I'm going to need in the short term?
2)One part I don't have is the main arbor shaft. Would it be smarter to machine a new one from 1141 or get a shaft on ebay with a BS10 and machine the taper down? 3) The over arm yoke has a brass insert/bushing with the oiler grooves. What rides against that that holds the arbor shaft? Bearing? Bushing?

the goats are restless in seattle tonight!

Ill consider that a WARM welcome.

The story is I found this on Craig's List while looking for a BP mill which I knew was too big for my space and was lucky enough to score it for a pretty good price. She's in great shape, lots of cake frosting on the ways still. I bought it from the daughter of a retired Boeing Guy and he bought it from Boeing when he retired. I put the yellow dress on her. I hope that's ok with you all. I have some of the missing horizontal mill parts, etc. and I am trying to get the H mill running as well as the rusok.

Now for a couple of questions: 1)I've read a lot on this forum and it seems that BS9 is not impossible to find but also not easily found. I've also seen that the new stuff doesn't seem to have a very good reputation. Should I be scooping up all vintage BS9 that I see or just the stuff I'm going to need in the short term?
2)One part I don't have is the main arbor shaft. Would it be smarter to machine a new one from 1141 or get a shaft on ebay with a BS10 and machine the taper down? 3) The over arm yoke has a brass insert/bushing with the oiler grooves. What rides against that that holds the arbor shaft? Bearing? Bushing?

the goats are restless in seattle tonight!

Get your back to the wall - or just go and use a different loo - any of 'em come prancing atcha on tiny hooves with a gleam in their eye!

"Randy old GOAT" is not just a figure of speech. They'll try to shag a John Deere riding mower or a parked F-150.

:)

Yer over-arm wants a hardened and ground. - even polished, "running" bushing at the end of the arbor that is a good mate to the Bronze bushing... which you "might" have to fab a new one of. Or maybe not, as the Boeing vet didn't seem overly careless. RPM is low. They last a Very Long Time even if abused a tad.

Any others along the arbour can be "spacer" grade.

B&S #9 was so VERY common for over a hundred years that "patience" and chronic ePrey search found me all I needed. It is also a size easier to DIY than yah might think, and many folk have done exactly that.

I have a full set of collets from H&H Industrial, made PRC, still in the wrappers, and will probably still be in the packaging when I croak.

I never LIKED "collets" for holding milling cutters to begin with, put off my feed by early BirdPort round-ram MT and later dovetail-ram Are-Ate. Have found no compelling reason to change my mind.

There's a better way.

I have LOTs of B&S #9 Weldon-style side-locks, PDQ-Marlin "VS", also with side-lock milling cutter holders.

If/as/when collets are needed (drilling - if I didn't have drillpresses, already?) I have a rare Gorton" collet mini-set, and adapters to ER 40 and ER 20. Also B&S #9 to #2 MT and #3 MT. Search on "Scully Jones" for that sort of kit. If even yah think yah might need it.

Also "several" B&S #9 arbors, face and shell mill holders.

The MILL that started all this, OTOH, is nuthin' to write home about. Burke #4 // B-100-4 horizontal. Only.

TINY 13" one-tee-slot table.

And then.., dragged a 40-taper 5 HP horizontal-spindle USMT "Quartet" combo-mill a thousand miles home, and the VERTICAL spindle on it is #9 B&S. So is my Ellis dividing head / super-spacer combo.

Tooling commonality, 40-taper or #9 B&S, well covered on both, and happy days.

#9 B&S has just about DOUBLE the grip of BirdPort's notorious "Are Ate" collet system, which is only equal to a #7 B&S for grip.

So I'm good with #9 B&S for as long as I give a damn at all. A "show stopper" it was never. Goods can be made if not found. "Obsolete don't mean useless!" Or so I keep tellin' my Wife of 30 year..

BTW ... converting to Are-Ate would be like cutting off yer testicles to get rid of chronic headaches when all yah REALLY needed was to quit wearing ladies panty-hose so yah had more ballroom.

:D

Back