What's new
What's new

Another interesting bench vise

Andy FitzGibbon

Diamond
Some may remember the thread I started about my Massey quick-action bench vise a while ago: http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/showthread.php?t=148399&highlight=vise
While cleaning the shop today, I found another neat vise I forgot I had.

colton01.JPG

It was patented June 16, 1885, by George Colton of Syracuse, NY. Here's the patent: http://www.google.com/patents?id=pmBdAAAAEBAJ&pg=PA2&dq=june+16+1885+vise&source=gbs_selected_pages&cad=0_1#PPA3,M1

colton02.JPG

An interesting feature (which is not shown in the patent) is the t-slot cast into the base for mounting. I'm not sure how this was originally intended to be used, but it fits a carriage bolt pretty well. A guess I had is that you were supposed to drill a hole wherever you wanted a vise, insert the carriage bolt, and quickly attach and remove the vise as needed.

colton03.JPG

Andy

That's pretty interesting. I've always found that when most vises swivel, they no longer overhang the work bench and whatever you're holding fouls the bench top most of the time. Maybe this was the manufacturer's idea of getting around that: you could swivel the vise and extend it out a bit so the work remained free. Perhaps it may also have come with a simple slotted mounting plate to facilitate vise extension. It sure would be tempting to make one in any event.

Cheers, Charles Morrill

Charles, you will see that my vise is different from the patent drawings. The drawings show a much smaller round base that swivels on a plate and (as far as I can tell) doesn't slide in and out. The plate does allow the vise to overhang the bench, though, so it more or less accomplishes the same idea.
Grady and Bob, I have been cleaning the shop. Got rid of some stuff, and also recently got access to the other half of the building (which increased my floor space by about 1/3). There is now just enough room for a vehicle, Subaru-sized or smaller. It's tight, but better than working outside, especially in this weather- last night was fifteen below.
Andy

Andy,

Neat vise! Looks a bit like this small one i posted late last year

DSCF2263.jpg

DSCF2266.jpg

Mine has jaws that are 1 11/16" wide. Other than the base the body apears to be made on the same patent.

Mike :cool:

Mike, if you removed the clamping screw from your vise, the base would look very similar to the drawing on the first page of the patent.
In reading the text of the patent, it is clear that Mr. Colton was trying to cover all of his bases, ie. trying to lock up as much of the patent territory as he could.
Andy

Andy,

Would the bolt-head-capturing base be suited to movable mounting on a Acorn-type platen?

Is there room in the base for a large square head such as was used on the bolts that hold the accessories to Acorn platens, or is space only sufficient for the shallow domed head of a carriage bolt?

john

Andy,

Would the bolt-head-capturing base be suited to movable mounting on a Acorn-type platen?

Is there room in the base for a large square head such as was used on the bolts that hold the accessories to Acorn platens, or is space only sufficient for the shallow domed head of a carriage bolt?

john

Hey John, good to see you here. I think there would be room for a square head bolt in there.
Mud, that was not me, but thanks for the photo.
Andy

Back