What's new
What's new

Another Lodge & Shipley Lathe Cleanup / Restoration

acozygun

Plastic
Been lurking on here for a while. Have been looking for a big lathe for a while and finally found a deal a lathe or two. I had been looking to a big Monarch but found a pare of Lodge & Shipley 16s for a descent price. Though everyone might enjoy. I bought them off a guy that had a business that closed down that made light fixture reflectors. Looked like in its day was a big business. I ended up getting the two and a bunch of big chucks and a steady rest for $1850.

IMG_20180409_163011.jpgIMG_20180409_142941.jpgIMG_20180410_092705.jpgIMG_20180410_092727.jpgIMG_20180410_190724.jpg

Have been Making a bunch of YouTube videos about them. Buying My First Metal Lathe Or Two - YouTube Not sure why I cant get this to embed properly.

Those will be great.

Be careful with oil weight in head unless you have good supply power.

Ours has a SPC and it does not like higher speeds on cold oil.

You have a broken shifter handle on one, if you decide to part one out we need the "spoon" that you tossed back.

The device on the back of one is likely a relieving fixture.

Others may know...It causes the tool to reciprocate to make varying cuts...we thinks...

We have copy of manual that lists it as option but not a lot of detail.

Others should have more and better info.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Depending on your intentions for these machines, you have a fun project and a lot of work ahead of you. A good location, where you can easily access all sides of the lathe, with good light, will help a great deal. Try not to rush the work. Do the research when something unexpected arises. If something needs to be repaired, take the time to do it right. Lathes of your size often need some overhead lifting help to load and unload the work piece and tooling. Oh yes, start looking for the tooling and accessories now. Good Luck, and Regards, Clark

Spent another day playing with them. Fired up the short bed and it seems to work ok too, went to change the oil and realized I have a missing sight glass on the back side of the input shaft from the motor. Any one have any ideas on replacing this sight glass. The other lathe looks like it has just a piece of plastic jammed in there. Is there a right way to do that? Also tried making a replacement screw from a 3 jaw I was going to put on the short bed and the thread feed rate is off on the larger one. If you have it set according to the chart it cuts at 12tpi when it looks like its set to 14, to get close to 14 you have to set it to 15-16. I will say it amazes me how much you can hog off at low speed with these. The vfd I have shows current draw and it never goes above 20 amps even taking off a .100" cut. Now if I could just sort out the thread cutting issue.

IMG_20180421_195256[1].jpg
IMG_20180421_195246[1].jpg

Congrats acozygun on the 2 L & S machines and thanks for buying them!! The guy kept calling ME back about buying those Beasts! Haa! I have a 14" and 16" identical to those and have both fully operational; one of which has been completely disasembled except for the gear head. We are also sand mold Casting replacement handles and handwheels for that model. Let me know if I can offer any input on your Restoration. Good Luck!

...went to change the oil and realized I have a missing sight glass on the back side of the input shaft from the motor. Any one have any ideas on replacing this sight glass?

Looks like a Bijur sight window, I've bought them direct from Bijur in the past for my old machines.
This catalog, page 70
http://www.bijurdelimon.com/fileadm...hures/151_BDI_Fittings_Accessories_R23web.pdf
Don't buy the special tool to install them, you can use a piece of end grain 2x4 just as well

Those will be great.

Be careful with oil weight in head unless you have good supply power.

Ours has a SPC and it does not like higher speeds on cold oil.

You have a broken shifter handle on one, if you decide to part one out we need the "spoon" that you tossed back.

The device on the back of one is likely a relieving fixture.

Others may know...It causes the tool to reciprocate to make varying cuts...we thinks...

We have copy of manual that lists it as option but not a lot of detail.

Others should have more and better info.

Tony,
We can cast that replacement spoon handle on the Lodge and shipley. I have 2 of those same machines and we have duplicated a number of broken parts on those machines. Just email me if you're interested

Looks like a Bijur sight window, I've bought them direct from Bijur in the past for my old machines.
This catalog, page 70
http://www.bijurdelimon.com/fileadm...hures/151_BDI_Fittings_Accessories_R23web.pdf
Don't buy the special tool to install them, you can use a piece of end grain 2x4 just as well
Be sure correct or light oil goes in the input box.

Standard is simple clutch / brake but optional is reversing.

If too thick it gets wonky and does not shift well.

We had Std tractor hydrolic oil and it did not like it.

Have thinner stuff and it works well but may not be exact stuff.

Ours is strictly hobby use and with the SB 14.5 that now does most work the big boy rests most of the time.
If reversing pay attention to arrow on pulley and if backwards the lathe works just fine but control is backwards and if one is using lathe to thread pipe in lowest speed and holding a not ratcheting pipe threading tool the ride can be fun as it lifts you off the ground and in doing so shifts to reverse and places you back thus shifting again (we understand it takes awhile to let go of control and hit power off...)

Tony,
We can cast that replacement spoon handle on the Lodge and shipley. I have 2 of those same machines and we have duplicated a number of broken parts on those machines. Just email me if you're interested
What kind of cost for spoons for 16 inch size?

We only need one but may be interested in a spare.

Rough casting is fine as we can clean up and save a bit.

Hang in there Tony, we'll cast a couple of samples and get back with you. I think we may be able to make those up in cast iron instead of brass so they should be stronger!!

I just Got Registered and I Have a 12 Speed 14" model A serial # 35014. Built in 1943. I am Giving it a much needed cleaning. I have leaking Sight glass and I had a shop make me some sight glasses. A rubber hose shop water jetted me some new gaskets and I was able to save the old retaining rings. Now I'm ready to reinstall. I plan on putting a small amount of permetax on the edge of the sight glass and a small amount around the inside of the sight glass bore. Then installing the ring with a stepped install tool. Does this sound like a good Procedure? Because I'm New Should I Have Started A new Thread?

I robbed cheap HF LED mini-maglite lenses for an urgent need on a 10EE. Monarch has proper ones, might also have fits for L&S as they had been supporting L&S.. I don't know how far BACK, though. See also McMaster-Carr. Entire sight glasses, even.

.100? You joking?

Wait 'til you actually take a CUT, fer hem's sake!

I didn't Ck MM Car But I will. I hope to get my new Sight Glasses in tomorrow. Still cleaning and hope to run a couple gallons of Kero Thru the head and then 2 gals of oil and then the real stuff. The Tech Manual said 2 gallons in the Head. How do I post pictures? Can I? The Old Sailor

Here are the lads at ATW taking a fair size depth of cut and feed rate in 1915 - just to show folks the stout-ness built into their products

Big Chips 1915 at ATW.jpg
Do note the 160 feet per minute - not especially poking along in the material described - 107 years gone now - with carbide cutting tools way off in the future

Welcome Aboard, Old Sailor!
Good Luck with the new LS hobby lathe. You will enjoy it. I have that same 14" (1941) as well as the long bed 16" model A. Plenty of pictures here as well of the 14 when I disassembled the entire machine except headstock. PM if I can add any input to get the new acquisition flying. We also hv some misc part casting reproductions here ( clutch handle, knobs, etc) if any are missing. That machine is going to amaze you with it's performance given the age. I run mine almost daily; Very, very User Friendly!!!
Have to laugh along with thermite regarding the .100 cut. Jump in there next time with a .375 or even .500 deep cut and stand back and watch the show; just be sure to watch the open toe shoes as well! 😆

FFT, Old Sailor;
you'll have to try wrapping your head around these L& S machine specs; those particular model A's have a radial load rating on the front timken spindle bearings of 15,970 lbs load capacity @ 100 rpms; that machine only weighs 4,500 lbs! 😆
Seems I recall as john has shown in his post, My 16" machine is rated at somewhere in the range of 700---900 lbs of stock removal per hour; that machine has a 7--V belt pulley on the head stock, so I'm thinking they were definitely planning on something BIG happening !! 🤔

I have a 1942 L&S 16"x96". Mine bought as part of the War Effort for the school system and has never had another owner until I bought it. I've had mine for 25 years and really enjoy my "little hobby lathe" I found sight glass for mine from MMCar . On the American at work I used Lexan from the Glass shop next door, cut them with a boring head in the mill. If I change any more I will probably use Lexan again, much easier to work with than glass.
Ben

My Lexan jobs I made still look perfect after 18 years

DCP_0652.JPGDCP_0654 (2).JPG

I have a 1942 L&S 16"x96". Mine bought as part of the War Effort for the school system and has never had another owner until I bought it. I've had mine for 25 years and really enjoy my "little hobby lathe" I found sight glass for mine from MMCar . On the American at work I used Lexan from the Glass shop next door, cut them with a boring head in the mill. If I change any more I will probably use Lexan again, much easier to work with than glass.
Ben

Back