What's new
What's new

Another Old Hendy

Hobby Shop

Stainless
Can hendeyman put a date on this lathe for me? #7646

My brother is getting sick of looking at it in his garage and wants it to go away. The more info I have on it, I might be able to convince him it's worth keeping around. At least until I get my barn built.

Andy

Attachments

• IMG_2789.jpg
    IMG_2789.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 342
  • IMG_5582.jpg
    IMG_5582.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 257
Last edited:
Hobby Shop:

Hendey lathe #7646, a 12x5 Cone Head model, was built on October 21, 1905. It was shipped with a set of No.2 Collets and a new box,
which was the recently introduced Compound Gear Box. The original owner was the Diamond Crystal Salt Company, St. Clair, Michigan.
There are no longer any Patterns, Castings or Repair Parts left in inventory for this lathe, but all of the original drawings are
still in the files, so parts can be made if required,

Hendeyman

Hobby Shop:

Hendey lathe #7646, a 12x5 Cone Head model, was built on October 21, 1905. It was shipped with a set of No.2 Collets and a new box,
which was the recently introduced Compound Gear Box. The original owner was the Diamond Crystal Salt Company, St. Clair, Michigan.
There are no longer any Patterns, Castings or Repair Parts left in inventory for this lathe, but all of the original drawings are
still in the files, so parts can be made if required,

Hendeyman

Thanks for the info.
My brother found it in a barn, in St. Clair Mi.
Andy

I would've thought it was a little bit older than that.

As it turned out, you were correct!

And yes, I threw 1928 as a date of envy - but even by 1905 Putnam was on its way out - and a 1928 user of a Putnam would be thoroughly disgusted with his frugal shop owners for not upgrading.

(Ah, the attraction of "modernity")

I remember walking into a machine shop in Northfield, VT in the 1970s looking for steel. Along the wall I spy a lathe, pretty large perhaps 24" swing, with box tail stock and loose change gears.

"Wow. What a neat old machine!" I exclaimed to the shop owner. It might have been a Putnam for all I knew then.

"What? You like that clapped out, beat up, old boat anchor of a lathe?"

The owner couldn't understand the attraction. Of course he had stood for many hours in front of it trying to make it do what it seemingly was no longer capable.

Or perhaps he was transmitting 20th century machinist values/skill onto a 19th century machine?

Machine tools have improved - in some ways. And maybe to the detriment of skill.

Joe in NH

Paolo MD:

Power Cross Feed was not a standard feature on the 12 inch lathes until at least 1907, when the new Geared Head lathe was introduced.
Before that time, a 12 inch lathe could be fitted with Power Cross Feed at an extra cost when the lathe was ordered.

Hendeyman

Joe -

I have to laugh. Spent from fall of 1966 to spring of 1970 in Northfield - and never even realized there was a machine shop in town. But I guess with the machine shop downstairs in the ME building I never had to go looking when I needed something.

Dale

Back