What's new
What's new

(another) old Sidney lathe

benymazz

Plastic
Hello all, new member of the forum here.

I have a Sidney lathe in my garage. There is no plate on it with a serial number, but the threading/feed rate information plate says that it is a 10 inch swing lathe. I've done some google-fu, but I've not been able to find any information at all about Sidney building anything smaller than a 14" lathe. The gear selectors and overall layout looks very similar to the early model 14" lathes, but alas this is not one of them.

I've attached a picture, apologies for the poor quality. I'll throw some better ones up when I get home tonight, but it's currently mostly apart while I do some deep-cleaning of the gears for the feed mechanisms.

For some reason I have a number of around 1930 stuck in my head for when it might have been made, but I have no idea where this came from and it's probably wrong. My father passed 4 years ago when I was 12, but I remember very clearly hearing him say that it was purchased at a Navy surplus auction. So, anybody know anything about this?

IMG_6797.jpg

Starting in 1904 they made all sorts of designs, cone pulley of course first and then a welter of differing gear heads.

Yours is one of them - the plain threaded spindle nose and plain spindle bearings with bolt on caps suggest - possibly early twenties

Here is a little brochure - undated - from the cone head days

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/750/17201.pdf

ph

I have a 12" conehead sidney. The guy i bought it from told me it was the thirties. Plai bvb pored babbitt bearings for the spindle. Looks just anout the dame as yours. There is little to no information floating around on the internet besides VintageMachinery.org | Welcome and that will just tell ya some company history when they were around and when they were sold.

Back