What's new
What's new

Another seeker of hendy machine information

Greenmachinist2

Plastic
Long time forum lurker finally joining but, hello all I have recently purchased a hendy 14 x 6 lathe for a decent price probably too much considering the condition but time will tell. really hoping hendeyman will chime in if he can as this one says hendy no e right on the tag not sure if that will matter. I forgot to write down the serial number but remember it starting with 22 and being 5 digits will have to check edit (serial number is 28578 I was way off as well as a brass tag under the gear head that says 10-A 7766) however it’s a gear head lathe that says it maxes out at 539 rpms at 600rpm pulley and has a cone head style apron for some reason not sure as to why. Also features a 3 Hp 3 phase motor.
Also apologies for some miscellaneous tags auto correct and the predictive text evidently got me.

Last edited:
Greenmachinist2:

Hendey lathe No.28578, a 14 x 6 - 12 Speed Geared Head model was completed on June 30, 1934. The following information was taken from
the original Order Form. Any information in parenthesis is my addendum.

Date Ordered: May 9, 1934
Date Started: May 21, 1934
Sold to: American Can Company, 43rd street and 2nd Avenue, Brooklyn, New York
Shipped to: Them
Via: N.H. to Bush Terminal
Description: 14" x 6' - 12 Speed Geared Head Lathe CR (Compound Rest)
Regular Equipment (as shown in catalog)
Omit Oil Pan
Drawing-in Attachment and Set 13 - #3 Collets 1/8" to 7/8" by 16ths Complete with Cabinet
Furnish and fit 12" 4-jaw Cushman Independent Chuck
Arranged for Belt Connected Motor Drive with Motor in cabinet leg
Fit 2 HP General Electric Motor Type B - frame 225 - 230 Volts D.C. 1750 RPM with CR-4068-A2 Reversing Magnetic
Switch and CR 2940-3B1 Push Button Station
High Spindle Speed of 20 to 539 RPM Pulley Speed 600 RPM
Delivery: As soon as possible
Spindle Speed Index Plate B14-3227
Motor Drive Order #16163
Belt 3" X 7' 4" Long

There are very few Patterns, Castings or Repair Parts left in inventory for this lathe, but all of the original drawings are still in
the files, so parts can be made if required. Note: The Clutches in this apron are a new design that was only used for about three years
and can be a bit of a problem to service without a drawing to show the location of a few hidden screws. Another problem is the location
of the Oil Pump, it is located in the middle of the apron. To service it, you must drop the Apron and put it on the bench. After 1936,
the Oil Pump was accessible by removing a cover plate located under the lower left hand corner of the Apron.

Hendeyman

Greenmachinist2:

Hendey lathe No.28578, a 14 x 6 - 12 Speed Geared Head model was completed on June 30, 1934. The following information was taken from
the original Order Form. Any information in parenthesis is my addendum.

Date Ordered: May 9, 1934
Date Started: May 21, 1934
Sold to: American Can Company, 43rd street and 2nd Avenue, Brooklyn, New York
Shipped to: Them
Via: N.H. to Bush Terminal
Description: 14" x 6' - 12 Speed Geared Head Lathe CR (Compound Rest)
Regular Equipment (as shown in catalog)
Omit Oil Pan
Drawing-in Attachment and Set 13 - #3 Collets 1/8" to 7/8" by 16ths Complete with Cabinet
Furnish and fit 12" 4-jaw Cushman Independent Chuck
Arranged for Belt Connected Motor Drive with Motor in cabinet leg
Fit 2 HP General Electric Motor Type B - frame 225 - 230 Volts D.C. 1750 RPM with CR-4068-A2 Reversing Magnetic
Switch and CR 2940-3B1 Push Button Station
High Spindle Speed of 20 to 539 RPM Pulley Speed 600 RPM
Delivery: As soon as possible
Spindle Speed Index Plate B14-3227
Motor Drive Order #16163
Belt 3" X 7' 4" Long

There are very few Patterns, Castings or Repair Parts left in inventory for this lathe, but all of the original drawings are still in
the files, so parts can be made if required. Note: The Clutches in this apron are a new design that was only used for about three years
and can be a bit of a problem to service without a drawing to show the location of a few hidden screws. Another problem is the location
of the Oil Pump, it is located in the middle of the apron. To service it, you must drop the Apron and put it on the bench. After 1936,
the Oil Pump was accessible by removing a cover plate located under the lower left hand corner of the Apron.

Hendeyman

Thank you! I just enjoy having the history off everything I have if I can get it. it made its way to Virginia and then had a building fall down around it which is when I acquired it. Any chance this has hardened ways? I’ve looked all around it for an H following some numbers and no such luck. Also any idea on original colors and if the paint contained lead if original?

Not until much later - when the H appeared in the serial

Probably gray / grey and certainly lead based
And thank you for the above information as well along with the manuals,

now I noticed in those it stated speeds up to 1000 Rpm for a 12 speed gear box is that meaning to say I could change one of the pulleys in the setup and be able to have the faster speeds or can the bearings (believe I have tapered Babbitt) not handle it? Also believe I may be suffering from the front thrust washer issue but will have to try and free it up to see

Another question for hendeyman is it possible to get a scan of the original order form or is it all digitized in a searchable word document?

Stick with their plain bearing speeds - 539 or whatever - AND make sure and certain the oil chambers BELOW spindle bearings are CLEAN and full of light spindle oil - and that the oiling rings are bringing this clean oil up to tops of journals

Here is the usual info I post related to sticking Hendey spindles - your 1934 plain bearing gear head will have more or different stuff on spindle - but the basic activity is the same - get the spindle OUT and fix the problem

All parts.jpgAssembled.jpgFront detail.jpgList.jpgParts together.jpg

Last edited:

Back