What's new
What's new

Antique Air Compressor

Mr Bridgeport

Stainless
Went out to check out yard sale's today and dragged home an old air compressor. Tag on motor is split into 2 sections.
Top says Brunner Air Compressor, Brunner Mfg Co. Number 66 (model number). Bottom of the tag says Wagner Electric Mfg Co. 110v 6a.
Compressor is a really small twin cylinder that is GEAR driven from the motor. It's a side by side twin, not V or opposed. Receiver tank is about 3" dia and maybe 10" tall, cast iron with a nice little brass drain petcock. No shut off valve or pop off valve.
Plug it in and it builds up pressure. I was expecting the motor to start stalling out but it just pumps away. Haven't put a gauge on it yet but it's going to be handy out in the garage, away from my shop for little stuff.
Mounted on a purpose built metal base with 2 cute 5 spoke cast iron wheels 7" in dia. on one end and a rod at the other end. Comes with a nice handle to pull it along with the original wooden grip.
I'm guessing this is from the 40's or possibly earlier. Anyone ever see one? I know, I need to start putting pics up.
Bill

I have a Brunner single cyl pump. No tags on it, just Brunner cast into the case. I think there's images of the twins on Google, just try a search. Seems they were popular for service stations in the 40s-50s. Not a big industrial compressor, but a commercial grade mid-size, at least.

This afternoon I pulled the cover off of the back of the motor and found that it is a brush type of motor. It is about the size of a modern 3/4 HP motor. Decided to do some research on the net and found that this compressor was introduced in 1916 for garages. Guess air tools were not the norm back than. Motor rating is a scant 1/4 HP. Discription includes the 2 wheels but also a pilot wheel with a towing handle. I guess somewhere along the way this was modified or a newer version maybe. Got to take a good look at mine to see. Not bad for 10 bucks.
Bill
On Edit. Just took a close look and the handle on mine is original but I'm sure it had a swivel type wheel that was replaced with an not to original metal rod. Now I have to keep an eye out for a period cast iron swivel castor. The more I look at it, the cooler it is. Imagine tooling up in a Model A to a gas station and this was the shop compressor.
Bill

Hey Bill, do you still have your Brunner No. 66? I just picked one up last week, though I paid a little more than $10... What a cool little machine! I have quite a few Brunners from that period and later

Brunner was in Utica, NY and was a builder of air compressors. Many years ago, they were absorbed by Chicago Pneumatic, who continued to operate a plant in Utica, NY but changed it to making air tools.

Brunner built the compressor, and Wagner built the motor. Wagner was in St Louis, if I remember rightly. They built a lot of repulsion-induction motors, hence the motor on the compressor has brushes. R-I motors were once quite popular for single phase motor applications, having fairly high starting torque. More complex to build than a capacitor-start induction motor, so eventually, R-I motors ceased to be manufactured.

The compressor unit the OP describes sounds like a 1920's or 30's unit made for homeowners and small garages such as parking garages in hotels or apartment buildings. Back in those times, cars had tube-type tires and flat tires or tires losing air were a more common occurance than with today's tubeless tires. The small packaged compressor unit was sold to homeowners or small parking garage type places where it might be necessary to air up a tire or two.

Back in the times that compressor unit was manufactured, people who did own cars had to do a lot more to keep their cars in good running condition and ready to go. As a result, many private car owners had a battery charger, and a few glass 'oil bottles' in the garage or shed was also common. The oil bottles held about a quart of oil and had a screw-on metal spout with a metal cap. Back in those times, lube oil was not sold in quart containers, let alone in the handy plastic bottles we know today. A 'motorist' would go to his local garage and they'd fill the oil bottles from one of those square metal tanks with a hand oil pump on top of it. The oil bottles were often kept in a wire carrier, much like the milkman used when he carried bottles of milk (or empties) to and from customers' homes to his truck or milkwagon.

Cars of the 20's and into the early 50's (6 volt systems and tube type tires) required more 'looking after' than cars of the last 40 years. Back in the days when that compressor was marketed, a motorist knew how to really 'change a tire' or 'fix a flat'. A 'tire iron' was not some term used to describe a jack handle or similar, as it is in recent times. A true tire iron was flat tool used to pry a tire off the rim or to remount it on the rim. Motorists carried patch kits for the inner tubes and hand pumps along with the jack and tire irons. A homeowner who had a compressor was really a leg up on things.

Another activity that almost does not happen anymore concerns winter driving. Some motorists would 'put the car up for winter', meaning they jacked it up and put blocking of jackstands under the axles to take the wheels off the garage floor. They took the battery into the house or basement and kept it on charge, drained the cooling system (anti freeze was 'wood alcohol' which evaporated out from a car's cooling system rather quickly), and often covered the car with old bed sheets to await the coming of spring and clear roads. Come spring, the tires had lost air, so had to be pumped back up.

The other winter driving activity was the annual rituals of changing to 'snow tires' and back to road tires. I remember this from when I was a boy. The snow tires were kept down the basement in a dark spot. Come the beginnings of winter, we'd jack up the car and mount them, having the luxury of having the snow tires on rims of their own. One time, I remember we had no rims for the snow tires. I was a small boy, and my dad took the 'real tire irons' and husked the road tires off the rims and mounted the snow tires. We used a hand pump to inflate the tubes. Dad told me stories of driving a jalopy gotten from the junkyard as a cooperative enterprise with his buddies in about 1935. They paid 25 bucks for a 1928 Chevy, a nickel apiece for used valve springs, and a quarter apiece for used/patched inner tubes to get that car on the road. It took them up to the Great Sacandaga Lake and thru Vermont on a camping trip. Dad said he got quite good at changing and repairing flat tires. He figured he had the easier part of it if he only had to wrassle with the tire irons. His buddies wore themselves out with the hand pump. The jack had given out, so they used the oak ridge beam of their WWI surplus tent and piles of rocks to lever up the car when flats occurred.

In those times, a little packaged compressor like the OP has posted about would have been an unthinkable luxury to my Dad and his pals, let alone a house with a driveway and place to plug the compressor in and use it to inflate car tires. Back in those days, the little Brunner compressor unit was so well built compared to the light duty direct drive (and noisy) compressors sold in 'Big Box Stores'. It was rebuildable, and 'built to last' with any kind of reasonable care. The s--t direct drive homeowner grade compressors sold nowadays are throwaway units. The idea of a packaged compressor run off a car's battery would have boggled my Dad's mind altogether.

Last year I bought a craigslist 80's vintage sears air compressor- a 2 cylinder compressor w/ belt drive. I was AMAZED by how quiet it is, and how quickly it pumps up the tank compared to the ear-destroying oilless monstrosity I have in the corner of the shop. The sears unit is about to replace it- have a vfd drive 3phase motor on, all new plumbing, proportional motor speed based on measured tank pressure relative to the setpoint. Got that idea from watching an AvE video on youtube- we'll see if it pays or not.

The tank is nice and dry- no rust, looks like the old regulator failed ages ago, hoses rotting- the prev owner would plug it in to pump up his tires then unplug and it would leak down right away.

With that going I'll leave the oilless thing plumbed and unpowered, set up as an accumulator and mobile pony tank to go out on the road as needed.

Since we're talking ancient Brunner compressors, here's a WIP photo of my #542. One of the larger compressors intended for use in service stations or garages as described above.

Original 1/2 horsepower Century brush-lifting repulsion start motor, RS frame. Patent date and flip-open oil covers place it between 1899 and 1914. I believe these motors are actually a rare find on Brunner compressors. Most surviving examples and brochure units I've seen were fitted with Wagner motors.

The original #102 pump is M.I.A. (top left of the brochure below) so I'm going to retrofit a replacement with comparable displacement. Unless anyone here just happens to have a 100 year old Brunner #102 hidden in their back pocket? ;)

This compressor was originally gear-driven but that's not going to work out anymore - namely because the motor shaft is sprung. Someone before me dropped it and ended up shattering the rear end bell and cracking the stator frame. They were kind enough to braze it back together and get it running again. Then the bearings wore out at some point after that and the rotor crashed into the stator because of the bow previously bent into the shaft, badly mangling some of the laminations. During re-assembly someone also managed to set the pushrod spring tension way too low so it transitioned early and had trouble starting. This motor has had a very hard life. ...But it runs like new now! :D

I'm thinking either a timing belt or ANSI roller chain. Not original, but then again using plain motor bearings to mesh spur gears together probably wasn't the brightest design choice in the first place. Any misalignment, eccentricity, shaft damage or bearing wear and they won't mesh right. Not to mention these old Century motors have about 3/16 to 1/4" of end play in them so the gears wouldn't have worn evenly no matter what. Probably why they got scrapped at some point. Maybe I can get vee belt pulleys small enough in diameter to work...

IMG_20201118_153311727.jpg
20220122_170512.jpg
s-l1600c.jpg

Another brochure page

Trying to upload a video but Dropbox is being ret****d.

Last edited:
The original #102 pump is M.I.A. (top left of the brochure below) so I'm going to retrofit a replacement with comparable displacement. Unless anyone here just happens to have a 100 year old Brunner #102 hidden in their back pocket?

I have an extra 102 that you MAY be able to convince me to part with it, though the doors to my collection are usually one way... PM me is you want to talk about it

Last edited:
Joe, I've seen you repost this blurb a couple times, though you've got me a little perplexed...

Brunner was in Utica, NY and was a builder of air compressors. Many years ago, they were absorbed by Chicago Pneumatic, who continued to operate a plant in Utica, NY but changed it to making air tools.

Do you have ant evidence of Chicago Pneumatic being in the picture? To my knowledge, there was never any involvement between Brunner and C-P, though I could be wrong. I DO know for fact that Brunner was bought out by Dunham-Bush in 1957. Its a little fuzzy, but there was also Brunner Air Compressor Corp. from 1963-66 about 6 miles from the original utica plant. I wish I knew more about this era

The small packaged compressor unit was sold to homeowners or small parking garage type places where it might be necessary to air up a tire or two.

In 1925 the Brunner No. 66 cost $155-Thats in the neighborhood of $2500 today-I doubt these were built for homeowners. All advertising from the period showed them being marketed towards service stations and such.

68 Futura:

There was a division of Brunner's assets or divisions. Brunner had been making refrigeration compressors and condensing units along with their air compressor line. When Brunner was sold off, Dunham-Bush, a maker of HVAC equipment, got the refrigeration compressor/condensing unit line from Brunner. The air compressor division was sold to C-P. When I worked up at the Hinkley Dam, on a Power Authority hydroelectric project, this was a bit North of Utica, NY. The nearest Power Authority facility is the 'Marcy Energy Control Center'. This is a hub for most of the major power transmission lines in NYS. One of the Power Authority men at Marcy had formerly worked at C-P in Utica. He had been in the 'milling department', and told me that C-P had taken over Brunner's plant. C-P had switched from compressor production to air tool production. Eventually, C-P moved that division out of Utica, NY and to somewhere down in the Southern states.

I also remember seeing an ancient Brunner air compressor when I was in college, about 1970. It was in the garage of an oldtimer in Connecticut. This Brunner compressor was tank mounted and had the original Brunner decals and nameplate with the Utica, NY location. I was drawn to this compressor because it was old enough to have a flat belt drive.

As for price, consider the times and what manufactured goods cost relative to a person's salary. In the 'teens and 'twenties, prices for things like electric coffee pots, electric waffle irons, vacuum cleaners, and radios were quite high when compared to working people's salaries in those years. While wages were low for factory workers, the methods of production (sand casting of many appliance parts vs die casting, and later, plastics), amount of hand labor or multiple machining operations needed to produce even small home appliances put the prices way up there. It was quite common for people to buy a radio (a major purchase back then and considered the height of luxury), or a vacuum cleaner (the old upright type) on 'time', making payments rather than coming in with all cash. Who would buy a vacuum cleaner on time today (unless maybe a Kirby or similar) ? Think of the cost of automobiles in relation to a person's salary. Ford was paying 5 dollars a day, and had to bring the price of the Model T down to about $375.00 to make it affordable (and attract buyers for a car which was rapidly obsoleted by the competitors). 5 bucks a day x 6 days a week x 52 weeks a years (who took vacations back then, let alone paid ones ?) = $1560.00 per year. Take out rent, food, and utility bills for electric and gas, take out streetcar fares to get to and from work, and the workers were left with not a whole lot.

On the other hand, take a professional or executive, or perhaps a foreman or supervisor in a plant. These people could buy cars more towards the higher end, cars like Buick or Olds or Nash. These people would have the means to buy not only the car, but own a home, and keep the car in a garage. In the garage would be the oil bottles, battery charger, and maybe an air compressor.

I agree that the price, in 1925, was high for the average homeowner. However, places like apartment buildings or 'apartment hotels' ( a common thing in the 20's), as well as parking garages would be the likely purchasers of this type compressor. I believe, in the Brunner advertising, the compressors are listed with recommendations as to size of compressor vs number of cars parked in the garage.

If we think in terms of what tools and equipment an automotive repair garage would have had in the 20's, my own belief is that they had no compressed air driven tools, and the car lifts used were cable/mechanical 'four post' lifts for the most part. An automotive repair garage might only use compressed air for inflating tires or blowing to clear debris or clogged fuel lines. Hence, a relatively small capacity air compressor might meet the needs of an automobile repair garage handily. As the use of air tools became common, along with air-over-oil hydraulic vehicle lifts, the compressor capacity had to increase. The market for the small packaged compressors like the OP posted would have dropped way off once the move to air tools and air-over-hydraulic lifts took hold.

I note that Brunner used a 'silent' pinion gear on the little packaged compressors. This was made of 'fabric reinforced phenolic' (aka "Micarta" or "Ryertek"). It was a common design for open spur gearing to quiet things down. My old Cincinnati-Bickford drill has the original GE 3 HP repulsion induction motor on it. Drive off the motor is made using a pinion made of reinforced phenolic, running on a cast iron bull gear. Nice, quiet drive. I like how Brunner built the tank mounted unit shown in some of the posts. They addressed the matter of 'short centers' between the motor and compressor by adding spring loaded idler pulleys to get more belt wrap. It is quite a thing to realize that everything was built so much heavier, with iron castings used quite often, requiring a lot more machining operations.

Nice write up. I thought the spring loaded idler was more to deal with the stretch of the belting materials of the day rather than the motor pulley wrap. The other solution being to have to move the motor on a [too] regular basis.

From post # 8.
"Here's roughly what it would've sounded like with the original gear drive (and a Wagner motor instead of Century):"

Brunner Air Compressor - YouTube

*****I believe I hear and see a belt?

I have an extra 102 that you MAY be able to convince me to part with it, though the doors to my collection are usually one way... PM me is you want to talk about it

Thanks. I'm actually talking with an E-Bay seller about parting a known good one out from someone's old homebrew monstrosity, so your collection should be safe. ;)

Do you suppose I could get a few dimensions from you though if you've got one lying around to measure?

I'd like to figure out the discharge port pipe size, flywheel shaft diameter and key size. That would allow me to get a head start on ordering parts and finish-machining a roller chain sprocket for it.

(I can only get low-noise nylon sprockets with a pilot bore. Metal sprockets are way too noisy, vee pulleys small enough to fit will slip and timing belts are only sold in 1-1/2" increments, which is more than the 1/4" of take-up adjustment I have. Gears won't work because the motor shaft is sprung eccentric. Also too noisy again.)

Back