What's new
What's new

Antique Calipers and Dividers

boatsnavy

Plastic
All,

I have an opportunity to purchase an old collection of calipers and dividers. They want $750, which seems high based upon what I've seen, but if something here is special maybe its a great way to great some sweet old pieces.

Here are some of the markings. L.S. Starrett Co Athol Mass, C’Aiesborne & Co Newark NJ, Jerkin Rule Co Saginaw Mich, WH Johnny Newark NJ, AST Steel, Secont 10. I'm told the rest are hand forged.

See anything great or have any idea if this is something I should take a stab at.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Clay Hardman
Ivoryton, CT

Calipers.jpg

"C’Aiesborne & Co Newark NJ,"

The correct spelling is C. S. Osborne, in business since 1826 and still owned by the 8th generation of the family. That alone makes them a great rarity in the USA. And they still make dividers and calipers. I have some of their tools and do not consider them valuable collector items, just good stuff to use.

About us | C. S. Osborne & Co.

Larry

This seems to be the normal for a lot of seller’s especially on eBay ... There are so many items priced 10 times or more higher than their actual value... a small percentage of those listings are maybe someone not knowing exactly what they have and it’s real value.Another portion of those listings are sellers phishing for bites and interest on the value of their item. I believe the majority of the sellers that over price are seeking out that weak, unexpected individuals that maybe didn’t do his or her homework or are just hanging on every word of the sellers description talking up their item as rare or hard to find... If I had a dollar for every “rare” item listed on eBay I would be a billionaire by now. Don’t get me wrong the buyer should do the research .. know what your buying or at least do what the OP of this thread has done... but in all fairness I personally feel when sellers do this they are greedy cons... might as well be calling us on the phone telling us our computers are broke and to send them our IP address... that’s how I classify these sellers in my mind... cheats preying on the weak.. Everyone wants to make top dollar on everything we sell but price things at least reasonable to fair market value.. ..what ever happened to a good old reasonable fair sale of an item? I’m sure some will disagree but just my thoughts.

I can tell you that I have probably 60% or more of what I see there, hanging down in the shop, or in a toolbox out in the engine shed, various brands, and similar styles. If I have $30 in the lot, I'd be surprised.

Are they useful? Well I use mine, but mostly they are used set by a mic, or measured with a mic after taking the measurement off the part (or even the old way, with a ruler/scale). I use the inside calipers when the telescoping gauges don't fit, and the big outside calipers for sizes I do not have a mic or dial caliper for and need nothing better than what I get off a ruler/scale. I'd guess I am in the dinosaur category on that.

Collectors value them by manufacturer and model. I do not know Osborn, and I am not a collector of that type, so I have no clue if they have any special value to collectors..

"C’Aiesborne & Co Newark NJ,"

The correct spelling is C. S. Osborne, in business since 1826 and still owned by the 8th generation of the family. That alone makes them a great rarity in the USA. And they still make dividers and calipers. I have some of their tools and do not consider them valuable collector items, just good stuff to use.

About us | C. S. Osborne & Co.

Larry

I didn't catch that typo. Osborne makes leather working tools and while they might be used else-ware too, those pieces would probably do better aimed at a leather working forum. They're a bit like Starrett in that they are made in the USA, but they're not the best-money-can-buy. There are collectors out there, but because their tools really haven't changed over the last 100 years and you can still buy them new, condition will be more important than age.

I didn't catch that typo. Osborne makes leather working tools and while they might be used else-ware too, those pieces would probably do better aimed at a leather working forum. They're a bit like Starrett in that they are made in the USA, but they're not the best-money-can-buy. There are collectors out there, but because their tools really haven't changed over the last 100 years and you can still buy them new, condition will be more important than age.
Osborne makes a lot of stuff that has nothing to do with leather work. I think their leather punches are the "best money can buy" and they don't make junk in any category. I consider their dividers to be suited to tinsmithing more than machining.

Product | C. S. Osborne & Co.

Larry

Back