What's new
What's new

Antique lathe ID

Ecberry71

Plastic
Hello all! I just purchased an antique lathe from a coworker and I cannot find any information on it whatsoever. The name is right on the side of it but google finds nothing about it. The name is “J&G Hodson phila”... I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of this or maybe it’s under a different name now? I know nothing about it and ANY information would be great. Thank you!

This is my first post on here and I don’t know how to upload pictures yet. Once I figure that out I will post several pictures of this lathe.

Welcome to PM.
Look at the very first sticky at the top of the antiques section.
That should help you with your pictures.
Gotta have pictures.

Hello all! I just purchased an antique lathe from a coworker and I cannot find any information on it whatsoever. The name is right on the side of it but google finds nothing about it. The name is “J&G Hodson phila”... I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of this or maybe it’s under a different name now? I know nothing about it and ANY information would be great. Thank you!
Many old machines have separate nameplates with the selling dealer's name. A dealer's name is generally useless in determining the maker's name. Pictures are certainly needed.

Larry

J Hodson Machine Tools
Company
J Hodson Machine Tools
Address
3 Sycamore Road
Great Barr B43 7SX
United Kingdom

Any affiliation?

Still having site navigation issues but I’m trying. Lol

J Hodson Machine Tools
Company
J Hodson Machine Tools
Address
3 Sycamore Road
Great Barr B43 7SX
United Kingdom

Any affiliation?

Thank you everyone for the replies so far. Hopefully these pictures come through. I have many more to upload if this works.

Attachments

• D5BDC98A-4AE9-48AD-BEAA-F139BC6A1F46.jpg
    D5BDC98A-4AE9-48AD-BEAA-F139BC6A1F46.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 201
  • D54FD0FD-3443-480E-AB03-59FBD0145C57.jpg
    D54FD0FD-3443-480E-AB03-59FBD0145C57.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 189
  • A5B8F11F-45A4-4D50-9BA1-BA1A223C01B1.jpg
    A5B8F11F-45A4-4D50-9BA1-BA1A223C01B1.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 190
  • 394DCFEA-89AD-4C70-9B3C-D62A0EE9EE18.jpg
    394DCFEA-89AD-4C70-9B3C-D62A0EE9EE18.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 174
  • A44A224F-8EF7-47FA-9FB9-D5269DD6B5F9.jpg
    A44A224F-8EF7-47FA-9FB9-D5269DD6B5F9.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 198
How about a close-up of the headstock including the end gearing, and of the carriage/apron?

An 1864 Philadelphia city directory list's a G. & J. Hodson as machinists.
George and James.
They are also in the 1865 directory.

McElroy's Philadelphia city directory. ed.27 (1864). - Full View | HathiTrust Digital Library | HathiTrust Digital Library

Rob

Post #6 was posted, with the pictures, as I typed this in.
It is an early lathe.

1870 US Census for Philadelphia, PA:

George Hodson age 45 male white Works in machine shop Born in England Value of personal estate $200. (Wife) Mary age 35 Born in PA. No children.

And

James Hodson age 35 male white Machinist Born in England. (Wife) Margaret age 34 Born in England Value of real estate $4100, Value of personal estate $5000 (Note that the assets are listed after the wife's name.) Five children: William 9, Blanche 7, George 5, Albert 3 and Charles 7 mo.

1940 US Census for Philadelphia, PA:

George Hodson age 74 male white Owner Pulley Mfg. Born in PA Working 40 hour week, 52 weeks per year. Living with wife and stepson.

There are lots more Hodsons in Philadelphia.

Apparently, Hodson lathes are not common and Cope did not include them in his lathe book.

Larry

Thank you again for the responses. Apparently this is a VERY uncommon lathe if google can’t find it. I’m just wondering how hard it will be to find parts?

Thank you again for the responses. Apparently this is a VERY uncommon lathe if google can’t find it. I’m just wondering how hard it will be to find parts?

You do not find OEM parts for machines of that age. You make your own or modify parts from other machines.

Even things that you take for granted as standard may be made to an old and obsolete standard. The tailstock may not have a Morse taper bore, for instance, and 1/2-12 bolts were still used in the early 1900's.

Larry

Try to upload larger pictures.
Also take very good care of this lathe.
Don't do anything, mechanically, to the lathe that can not be undone.

Rob
I’ve been trying to get better pictures up but having a very difficult time doing so. I am usually pretty decent at figuring these things out but this site seems harder than usual. I will keep pecking away at it though. I have many more pictures to load.

You do not find OEM parts for machines of that age. You make your own or modify parts from other machines.

Even things that you take for granted as standard may be made to an old and obsolete standard. The tailstock may not have a Morse taper bore, for instance, and 1/2-12 bolts were still used in the early 1900's.

Larry

I was afraid of that. The half nut is totally worn out. It is made of brass with aluminum on the inside. I believe the bolts at mostly 1/2”x12 like you said. So you are thinking this is an early 1900’s lathe?

1870 US Census for Philadelphia, PA:

George Hodson age 45 male white Works in machine shop Born in England Value of personal estate $200. (Wife) Mary age 35 Born in PA. No children.

And

James Hodson age 35 male white Machinist Born in England. (Wife) Margaret age 34 Born in England Value of real estate $4100, Value of personal estate $5000 (Note that the assets are listed after the wife's name.) Five children: William 9, Blanche 7, George 5, Albert 3 and Charles 7 mo.

Larry

A rough time frame.
George P. Hodson, 1825-1899.
James L. Hodson, 1835-1899.
Brothers, came over from England in 1842.
Started in Philadelphia in 1864?

Rob

I was afraid of that. The half nut is totally worn out. It is made of brass with aluminum on the inside. I believe the bolts at mostly 1/2”x12 like you said. So you are thinking this is an early 1900’s lathe?

More like 1860's to early 1870's.

The half nuts could be bronze with babbitt.

Rob

Back