What's new
What's new

Antique lathe no markings, Need help Identifiying

Rouke

Plastic
This just came up on CL a quick skip, jump and hourish drive away and I am into doing older tool restorations but this one has me stumped. At first I thought it may have be an 1930's grayson but now i am not sure.

00m0m_bu9oY9FW7P0_1200x900.jpg00H0H_jB6lMQmuhsC_1200x900.jpg00d0d_aNT8B5TXc12_1200x900.jpg00x0x_lfh4ARBKxAR_1200x900.jpg

Ok thanks guys, I may go pick this up since this it is so cheap. Will make a good base to do some modifications too

No change gears or counter shaft. What is in the pictures is what he has, inherited through a long gone uncle and doesn't know anything about lathes. At $40 I was just going to scoop it up and set it off to the side in case I need something for a better southbend.

Turn's out that hope skip and jump became a journey, he took it back to his house in Virginia which was a 2.5 hour trip each way but anyways Junky's home! That's the name for him for now and just debating if I should bother restoring him or setting off to the side as a parts SB until I find a better one. My only experience with a lathe is the HF mini lathe and wanted something a bit more sturdy but was still moveable by myself. Upon my inspection the ways look in great shape, no broken teeth on the gears, full set of standard gears to my surprise and some basic tooling (nothing to be excited about). The bad well he's a bit Handicapped, 1 broken foot, missing banjo gear, rear gear cover, counter shaft, broken bull guard and no tool lantern.

Turns out it was a nephew who inherited the farm from his uncle who's grandfather bought it to brand new and passed away in the 40's since then it has only sat there unused was about to become scrap at the junk yard and were about to toss this until trying CL quickly.

So should I bother throwing some money into it or just set it off to the side?

IMG_20200214_213413989.jpgIMG_20200214_213440035.jpgIMG_20200214_213406105.jpgIMG_20200214_213429072.jpgIMG_20200214_213421037.jpg

To me it looks like in decent conditions. I don't see where the foot is broken. Anyhow, you'll spend much more money in getting another 9" than scrounging/making the parts that are missing in yours.
I don't understand what do you mean with "missing banjo gears" when you claim to have a full set of change gears...

Paolo

Sorry it was mistake on my part, I am missing an 80t which I thought that was always a gear on the Banjo not part of the change gears. Learning as I go along I guess

I don't have the chart in front of me. But I'm almost sure that the 80 tooth gear is used as an idler (i.e. transferring the motion directly to the next gear, not keyed with a second gear to change the ratio). If so, the number of teeth doesn't really matter and any other reasonably large gear in your collection should work.

Paolo

Back