What's new
What's new

Antique machine tool auction in Waterloo NY

Link works for me. The shaper is interesting, and quite old. Never heard of "Stockman & Duvinage". It looks very similar to an Ezra Gould, or Gould Bros... maybe they built and labeled for resale by S&D.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

According to Cope, Stockmar & Duvinage, New York NY, formed in 1862 to produce shapers and other machine tools. The firm dissolved in 1868. That is a worthy shaper to save.

I would def be interested in that shaper... anyone planning on bringing anything home from that auction? Might possibly need to find a ride. The listing mentions the machines are in the basement with a door access.. No forklifts or equipment allowed only man lifting!!

Not sure how many men it would take to carry a 18x60 lathe out of a basement? Apparently he doesn't realize there's options in between forklift and human strength. Doubt any of it even brings scrap money due to hindering location.

Not sure how many men it would take to carry a 18x60 lathe out of a basement? Apparently he doesn't realize there's options in between forklift and human strength. Doubt any of it even brings scrap money due to hindering location.

My thoughts exactly!

According to Cope, Stockmar & Duvinage, New York NY, formed in 1862 to produce shapers and other machine tools. The firm dissolved in 1868. That is a worthy shaper to save.

I am not sure about the 1862 start date.
I find Alexander Stockmar in 1864. An ad from 1864 but nothing about machine tools.

The New York State business directory, containing the names, business and address of all merchants, manufacturers, and professional men throughout the state : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

Later in 1864 a business directory list Stockmar & Co., with Alexander Stockmar and John Kaiser.
Stockmar & Duvinage first appears in 1865 with Alexander Stockmar and Louis Duvinage.
An 1867 ad for Stockmar & Duvinage, which I have had for some time. Note the name on the shaper, Stockmar & Co.

The New York State business directory, containing the names, business and address of all merchants, manufacturers, and professional men throughout the state : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

The last listing for Stockmar & Duvinage is in 1867. Nothing in 1868.

Rob

S & D seem to have had no compunctions about copying the Gould Bros. shaper design... or perhaps the Gould Bros. were building and rebadging them for S & D.

To anyone considering this shaper, they are very easy to move around once disassembled. Can be done by one man. I hauled the Gould Bros. machine shown in this photo, disassembled, in the back of my Audi station wagon.
b80d3d6c908da42545c9d9cd7071205e.jpg

Interesting. This Stockmar & Duvinage shaper and the old Gould Bros shaper Andy posted the picture of (which BTW is sitting in my shop, sometime in the Fall to be sitting in Georgia) are about the oldest examples of shapers you'll find around. Nice old machines if you want the earliest you can put your hands on! You're probably talking about mid-1860's machines (Rob can probably correct me on that if I'm off some). And according to Doc in Kentucky, who has and uses one, they still do great work.

Also very interesting is who copied who, or was there a third source - "Casting-R-Us" - who supplied everyone. :)

Irby

.....Audi station wagon?? Is that a extensive typo?

Seems like this is a machine in search of a savior.
I hope someone steps forward, if only to keep it from being scrapped.
Nope... 2002 Audi A6 allroad wagon. Ask Irby... it's the vehicle I used to deliver the shaper to his house.

.....Audi station wagon?? Is that a extensive typo?

Seems like this is a machine in search of a savior.
I hope someone steps forward, if only to keep it from being scrapped.

I am thinking about bidding to try to save this machine... it’s about a 4.5 hour drive from my home.. looks like the clapper box is missing?? Maybe it’s somewhere laying around in the shop? That should be any easy fix either way. I have a lift gate on my truck so I’m sure loading should be a problem.

I am thinking about bidding to try to save this machine... it’s about a 4.5 hour drive from my home.. looks like the clapper box is missing?? Maybe it’s somewhere laying around in the shop? That should be any easy fix either way. I have a lift gate on my truck so I’m sure loading should be a problem.

Definitely get the shaper, George! I can get you all the photos and dimensions you need to make another clapper box if you can't find the one there.

BTW, here's a closeup of the clapper assembly on the shaper in Andy's post.

attachment.php

BTW, one person (stronger than I am!), just like Andy said, can carry each of the main parts if it is disassembled. Andy did when he brought it down here to me. It comes apart easily - into the body and drive system, legs, ram and clapper box, cross slide assembly, and vise.

Irby

Attachments

• dscn00091.jpg
    dscn00091.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 588
Last edited:
Unless I'm totally wrong and there is a big demand for rusty machines down in a (likely) dank smelly basement, the real cost of acquiring the shaper or anything else will be time, food, fuel and lots of cold beverages. If the auctioneer allowed it, being able to pick through the odds and ends in the basement could be an added bonus.
I see the G&L grinder now has a $2 bid along with the Delta router table.

You're probably talking about mid-1860's machines (Rob can probably correct me on that if I'm off some).

Also very interesting is who copied who, or was there a third source - "Casting-R-Us" - who supplied everyone. :)

Irby

A pretty tight window on the age of this Stockmar & Duvinage shaper. 1865 to 1867.
I would say Stockmar & Duvinage either copied Gould, since Gould was making this design before Stockmar was making them,
or made them under license from Gould. This would not be unheard of.
A. Alex. Poole was making a copy of the Brown & Sharpe Universal Mill under license from B&S.

Rob

Hit Miss Engine,
A friend of mine and I are going to preview the auction Tuesday morning, he is interested in one of the band saws. I will try to take some better pictures of the shaper and pictures of the exit. I will also see if I can find the clapper.
Dave

Hit Miss Engine,
A friend of mine and I are going to preview the auction Tuesday morning, he is interested in one of the band saws. I will try to take some better pictures of the shaper and pictures of the exit. I will also see if I can find the clapper.
Dave

Dave,

If it's not too much extra trouble, could you also see if you can find the overarm to that Garvin mill? And see if the casting in the door looks like this photo of my mill. I think it's the same basic model as mine, maybe a few years older. Here's a photo of the overarm too. And maybe get some more photos of that mill also?

I don't need another mill just like mine, but it's a nice old machine and someone needs to get it also.

Thanks!
Irby

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC04740b.JPG
    DSC04740b.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 560
  • DSC04741b.JPG
    DSC04741b.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 558

Back