he would likely approve of this slick russian approach to salvage his
innovation

YouTube

scroll to 3:00

Attachments

• bzxcvz.JPG
    bzxcvz.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 147
That's how we used to join the terminals for 48 Volt strings of telephone exchange batteries, you'd bolt one terminal to the next cell's terminal and then clamp a mould made from aluminium angle to the top of the two terminals and get out the copper clad carbon arc rod to melt and puddle the top of the terminals to a depth of 3/4 inch or so. All while wearing a thick felt apron and safety face shield and looking like a bomb disposal expert. You would steal every pedestal fan in the building and aim at the battery strings while keeping the doors open. Sometimes the orange hot carbon rod would snap off and melt into the cell's clear plastic lid and you'd hurriedly throw water on it so the glowing carbon didn't hit the hydrogen at the top of the cell and cause the cells to explode in a chain reaction along the battery. Nobody claimed to know how to replace a single cell in a dual string of 48 Volt batteries so they made the first year apprentice do it (Me). I managed to disconnect one string from the faulty string before replacing the faulty cell.

I have fixed cracked auto battery cases with milk jug cap and soldering iron. The way they fixed the terminal is pretty slick.

Paul

That's how we used to join the terminals for 48 Volt strings of telephone exchange batteries, you'd bolt one terminal to the next cell's terminal and then clamp a mould made from aluminium angle to the top of the two terminals and get out the copper clad carbon arc rod to melt and puddle the top of the terminals to a depth of 3/4 inch or so. All while wearing a thick felt apron and safety face shield and looking like a bomb disposal expert. You would steal every pedestal fan in the building and aim at the battery strings while keeping the doors open. Sometimes the orange hot carbon rod would snap off and melt into the cell's clear plastic lid and you'd hurriedly throw water on it so the glowing carbon didn't hit the hydrogen at the top of the cell and cause the cells to explode in a chain reaction along the battery. Nobody claimed to know how to replace a single cell in a dual string of 48 Volt batteries so they made the first year apprentice do it (Me). I managed to disconnect one string from the faulty string before replacing the faulty cell.

Yeah. When I was working in "power"/ Emergency Power, there were redundant strings of cells. The redundant string had been charging all along but there were heavy motor driven switchgear to actuate the blade switches which are super high current- to isolate the string that required work. Each "cell" were quite large but the clear ones were vast improvement from the 4' tall (submarine ) batteries. I guess I'm just trying to remember how it was then. Yes, a single cell from a live string took some planning and work. Sorry 'bout the ramble.

Now to the actual point; This video is candid and interesting to watch. Too bad I don't know the language, but much can be derived. Thanks.

Now to the actual point; This video is candid and interesting to watch. Too bad I don't know the language, but much can be derived. Thanks.

I did watch that video from start to finish (and enjoyed it), it looks like older methods of battery repair survive to this day: the technique of using a carbon arc rod to melt lead on a battery terminal is pretty much standard operating procedure when working on large lead acid batteries.

There's a good video on lead acid battery rebuilding filmed in Pakistan, I guess it still makes sense economically to rebuilt batteries with bundles of new plates when there's not much recycling infrastructure in place. It is possible to make a longer lasting battery and Caterpillar did so years ago, I understand the positive plate had 2% silver in the grid alloy which prevents it from being gradually eaten away with repeated charging.

There's a good video on lead acid battery rebuilding filmed in Pakistan, I guess it still makes sense economically to rebuilt batteries with bundles of new plates when there's not much recycling infrastructure in place. It is possible to make a longer lasting battery and Caterpillar did so years ago, I understand the positive plate had 2% silver in the grid alloy which prevents it from being gradually eaten away with repeated charging.[/QUOTE]

Right. I had thought the post was about rebuilding the plates but turned out to be posts. I wondered about a lot of the video. It appears he was describing having moved his turret toolpost further outward for a reason. You can see the original location of the compound is nicely covered.

There's a good video on lead acid battery rebuilding filmed in Pakistan, I guess it still makes sense economically to rebuilt batteries with bundles of new plates when there's not much recycling infrastructure in place. It is possible to make a longer lasting battery and Caterpillar did so years ago, I understand the positive plate had 2% silver in the grid alloy which prevents it from being gradually eaten away with repeated charging.

Right. I had thought the post was about rebuilding the plates but turned out to be posts. I wondered about a lot of the video. It appears he was describing having moved his turret toolpost further outward for a reason. You can see the original location of the compound is nicely covered.[/QUOTE]

Ahhh No, the plate with 3 bolts is access to the cross feed lead screw nut.

Okay,thanks but verify.
The video was a twofer. The machinist spent a lot of time describing the location of that turret. Yes, it was the compound but not usually there. That's all but I don't understand how that had anything to do with battery cables. They were right there.
The other thing was a quote from SAG 180 which is not from me. He knows more about the actual plates.

Back