What's new
What's new

Antique Machinery Hauler on Steroids-220,000 lbs. in Two Days!

Rick Rowlands

Titanium
Today was day one of our biggest equipment move since moving the Tod Engine. We loaded up a 70 ton Kling type hot metal car and teeming ladle at Duquesne, PA for shipment to the Tod Engine Heritage Park in Youngstown. Both items were originally built in Youngstown by the William B. Pollock Co., so we are in essence bringing this historic equipment back home again!

The first order of business was to tilt the ladle to dump out all the water that was inside. This is how the molten iron was poured out of these cars when in service.

Our second task was to do a little fishing for tires. We pulled five truck tires and an old baggage cart from inside the ladle. I brought the baggage cart back as I think it can be salvaged.

The Kling ladle was then lifted up for placement onto a trailer. This piece weighs 67,000 lbs.

How often do you see levitating railroad cars?

Chained down and ready to go.

Next was the bottom half of the teeming ladle. 16,500 lbs., or about equal to the weight of one of the Tod Engine's connecting rods.

The upper half weighs 21,000 lbs.

And finally... The ladle passes the Carrie blast furnaces in Homestead as these two pieces of Youngstown history leave the Mon Valley.

Join us again tomorrow for the conclusion of this saga, as the car is reassembled on its new display track and a 31 ton ingot mold is moved to the Heritage Park.

I'm here, watching with interest, wish I could get away from the rat race and help. My stomach is in an uproar over machines in my neck of the woods that may get scrapped if no one steps up. I'm amazed at the work you are doing.

Bret

I'll be posting the second set of photos one they are uploaded to Webshots. But just wanted to give a reminder that this is a two way street and that some feedback and/or encouragement is needed to help keep me going!

HEY!

NO!

Keep posting! :eek:

I have been too busy to spend much time playing lately and skip some of the boards. Antiques is one of them that I miss currently. I just saw it pop up on the front page of "New Posts" just now.

What your dooing would be a lot of fun! Rigging big toys - with no real deadlines and no ROI to consider.

WHAT A CONCEPT! :D

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Hello Rick What you are doing is awesome and keep up the good work. I wish I could help. I have been collecting model trains for 40 years and love them. Please post more pictures and thanks for saving a piece of American history.

Ronnie

Thanks for doing what you do, Rick. Great pics btw.. I saw your YouTube video of the ladle and car being loaded earlier and then found this thread. Looking forward to more pics/video of your work.

Andrew

No replies = no interest = no reason to post today's pics of the second half of the move. :(

I am very interested in the work that you do. You are doing a great job preserving an important part of our great industrial heritage. How do you get financing to pay for the cost of the rigging which must be substantial?

Keep posting the great pictures. Maybe I can get involved in some manner.

Ellwood Engineered Castings donated an ingot mold last week, so Grim's went over to Hubbard to pick it up this morning.

Backing the ingot mold onto the property.

Unloading top half of ladle.

Ladle and ingot mold in their temporary storage locations.

How long a road trip was it? Quite a chore to move those things even a short distance, no? But if they are oversize or overweight, doesn't that make for permit pain?

Which makes me wonder how they got from their constructor to the plant they were used in in the first place - did they go by rail the first time?

Back