What's new
What's new

Antique Metal Lathe

Lynda

Plastic
Hi, I joined this forum in hopes of getting some help. My mom has an old metal lathe that was my grandfathers in her garage. It is from the 1930's or so. We cannot see a name plate, because as you can see in the pic, there was a wood frame built around it. My grandfather used to work for the American Machine and Foundary. We both have searched the internet for information, of course. I was hoping someone might give me some information on who the manufacturer is and what it might be worth. Also what to do with it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0157.jpg
    IMG_0157.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 1,674
There is an antique machinery section here with more antique collectors reading that section. I think you have a 10 inch foot power lathe by Sebastian Lathe Co. of Cincinnati, OH made around 1893.

Such machines are worth far more if the foot power parts are still there or if all the gears and other easily lost stuff are still with it. Most, like yours, have been converted to electric power. As it is, the value is probably around $200, depending on where in the USA you are and how many of the visibly missing parts may be in a box or on a shelf.

Location matters because there are some areas with lots of used lathes around and others where they are very scarce. One of the forum rules is that you provide a better idea of your location than just the country. Guessing the value of a machine is just one reason for that request.

Larry

Last edited:
Thank you all for you your suggestions. I will put it in the other section. Fabitfast, my grandfather worked in Brooklyn back then, and then moved out to LI and brought it with him. After my grandparents died, the lathe came to my parents house in Venice, FL (who knows why??), and it has sat in that same place in the garage since 1992. My Dad has recently passed, and I am helping my Mom clean out the garage. I just have to figure out how to get rid of it!

Thank you all for you your suggestions. I will put it in the other section. Fabitfast, my grandfather worked in Brooklyn back then, and then moved out to LI and brought it with him. After my grandparents died, the lathe came to my parents house in Venice, FL (who knows why??), and it has sat in that same place in the garage since 1992. My Dad has recently passed, and I am helping my Mom clean out the garage. I just have to figure out how to get rid of it!

An administrator has already moved this thread from General to Antiques.

Now we know you and the lathe are in FL. Lots of old people go to FL with their tools and then die. I suspect there are plenty of used lathes and other tools in FL, but I bet lots of them are rusty. I bought some lathe parts from a FL seller once, and they looked like salvage from a shipwreck when I got them. I had to put them in the trash. Hope your old lathe was wiped with an oily rag.

Larry

I am actually in Maryland, but my Mom is visiting. I told her when she goes back home to take more close up pics and send them to me so I can post. Yeah, I doubt very much that my Dad ever even touched that thing since it was moved there. Just want it gone, and if it just means taking to the metal recycling place, so be it.

They're collectable, but not real useful. Kind of like an old Singer treadle sewing machine... Go to craigslist.org, pick Florida and then a city. There's a similar lathe to yours in Winter Springs for $400.

Hate to say it, but the legs are worth ~100+ to steampunk/retro-techno types that make tables and such out of them.

It's truly a shame it does not have the treadle mechanisms complete, then you would have something desirable.
As it is, though, you ought to be able to get at least $150 to have someone come haul it away, either as a higher end small wood/patternmakers lathe, or as parts for "modern" furniture.

Be sure when you advertise it that you include the fact that it was once a Sebastian treadle lathe, missing parts. Very faint chance that might attract someone who wants to "save" it.

smt

Don't forget to look around the lathe for parts and tools that go with it. Post pictures here, even if you are not sure they are for the lathe. There might be something that adds value and increases interest in buying it.

Larry

Back