What's new
What's new

Antique Metal Lathe Identification Help

schaet

Plastic
Hello all!
I recently acquired an old very heavy metal lathe that I'm hoping will be a fun project to restore; however after spending a bunch of time trying to identify it and obtain information or even a manual on it has been challenging. I'm hoping that collective knowledge here could assist me?

All I have to go by is what appears to be the manufacturers name (SEKINE) on the side and a stamp on the ways that reads 1920 M M

Does anyone know anything about this beast? For a bench top lathe it has a good amount of weight to it making me believe that is may have some potential.

sekine.jpg
sekine1.jpg
sekinegears.jpg

Thank you!
Steven

Thank you all for the responses. When I was 'Googling' around I did see it looked to be Japanese, however that's about all I could find. I couldn't even fund another lathe from the same company.

I was hoping for a picture or a schematic to see what is missing and perhaps what the gearing is to possibly sort out the threading capabilities. Worse case scenario would be to CNC it for thread cutting.

iwananew10K - I'll upload some more pictures tomorrow at some point.

Thanks again everyone!

possibly sort out the threading capabilities.

Its not much of a job to figure out - ESPECIALLY with every thing in plain view.

The lead screw will have a certain pitch and the gears (that you change) will have a certain but changeable ratio - that is why it was sold with a pile of change gears

Add one of your photos showing needed nomenclature.

ON EDIT .....add a for instance.....

Say it turned out to have 3mm pitch lead screw

Say further that stud gear is 20 teeth and screw gear is 60 teeth

It would then cut a 1mm thread pitch

Attachments

• Japan  Lathe.jpg
    Japan Lathe.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
I think the large crossfeed dial is a good indicator it's a relatively modern machine.
Wondering if said dials are metric, gears module, etc?
Nice looking machine.

johnoder - This all new to me so I'll have to 'do the math' but thank you for the example to go by!! I'm guessing that I can try to get a set of gears from a like lathe and figure out different threads etc?

garyphansen - the ways are stamped 1920 M M ... With it looking like it's from Japan and the 'MM" I'm guessing it's metric.

Here's some more pictures

20190519_080433.jpg
20190519_080445.jpg
20190519_080509.jpg
20190519_080652.jpg

When did flat-belt go away? I was thinking it's pre-WW2 just because of the flat belt and plain bearings.

figure out different threads etc

A place to start is post up lead screw pitch (this is likely to be in mm) - stud gear tooth count and screw gear tooth count

Attachments

• THD PITCH.jpg
    THD PITCH.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
When did flat-belt go away? I was thinking it's pre-WW2 just because of the flat belt and plain bearings.

Hardinge was still making overhead or rear flat belt drive bench lathes (with ball bearings) as late as 1950. Then there is South Bend that was turning out flat belt lathes long after WWII, but I don't know when they stopped making them.

Larry

Back