What's new
What's new

Antique Planer / Shaper

vldave

Plastic
Can Someone help me with information about this Planer / Shaper - It is a smaller Bench type Shaper. The Motor information tag is clearly readable, but I cannot make out the model of the Shaper - Seems it would be about a 7 inch - Hope some one can shel some light on this machine - Thanks DavidShaper3.jpgShaper1.jpgShaper.jpgShaper2.jpg

Check some of the bolts and see if they are imperial or whitworth. That would help narrow down things.

WTF could be more "Imperial" than Whitworth? What empire , Evil, Galactic, what? This "imperial" BS needs to die, as did the british empire, 70 or so years ago.Any system based on English or inch measurements is "English", regardless whether it be UN, USS, SAE, or any Whitworth( BSA, BSF, BSW, etc. It is "metric if based on S.I. whether any European or Asian version . No empires need be involved.

Well, I did catch the thought even if the terminology might be a little challenged.

Lets not be a thread-killer based on an inaccurate nomenclature.

And metric IS the official US Standard.

Metrication in the United States - Wikipedia

Under the Mendenhall Order of 1893, metric standards, developed through international cooperation under the auspices of BIPM, were officially adopted as the fundamental standards for length and mass in the United States, though some metric standards were used in practice before then. The definitions of United States customary units, such as the foot and pound, have been based on metric units since then.

So while we use inch measure commonly, it is all based on an official fraction of a Meter stick, currently so many wavelengths of krypton-86.

And more importantly,

Inch - Wikipedia

Standards for the exact length of an inch have varied in the past, but since the adoption of the international yard during the 1950s and 1960s it has been based on the metric system and defined as exactly 25.4 mm.

I will concede that UTS (Unified Thread Standards) is but "one way" to call it and may even be called "English" (which it is not really any longer) as opposed to "Metric" which goes back to the ISO (International Standards Organization)

There is considerable room for production to a standard - and not even necessarily to A STANDARD.

Even today, over a half century since the UTS superseded the USS and SAE series, companies still sell hardware with designations such as "USS" and "SAE" to convey that it is of inch sizes as opposed to metric. Most of this hardware is in fact made to the UTS, but the labeling and cataloging terminology is not always precise.

So we're not the only people leaving the thought open to discussion. But I don't imagine hardware manufacturers have to frame their critique of their competitors in anything other than sales pitch.

Joe in NH

WTF could be more "Imperial" than Whitworth? What empire , Evil, Galactic, what? This "imperial" BS needs to die, as did the british empire, 70 or so years ago.Any system based on English or inch measurements is "English", regardless whether it be UN, USS, SAE, or any Whitworth( BSA, BSF, BSW, etc. It is "metric if based on S.I. whether any European or Asian version . No empires need be involved.

Funny you should say that, In Scotland, I still use the old Imperial system of threads, Be it B.S.F Whitworth, or British Standard brass etc, for my own use on my ancient machine tools I recently came across an illustration of a nice machine tool of about one hundred year's of age, which some genius decided to change all the relevant bolts , studs etc to metric , Completely ruined a nice vintage machine tool using pacific rim crap I guess my imperial machine tools, measuring equipment and taps dies etc will see me out

Back