What's new
What's new

Antique Tool Chest

Vanessa A

Plastic
Looking to get some information on this antique tool chest. Color is original and wood surface is original. tool chest.jpg

This is an 11 drawer cabinet missing the locking bar and padlock.

The wood top may not have been purchased with the cabinet.

Bricks hold the cabinet off the floor to prevent further deterioration of the base which is usually damaged and rusted through.

From the way the drawers sit in the cabinet, some were obviously over loaded with weight or used as a ladder.

Auction value could be pretty good if it was loaded up with old gun parts, motorcycle parts, throw in some old worn silver coins.

We have the exact same cabinet in our shop. Same wood top (yes it's original), wheels, and locking system that is missing the bar. Don't have any pics of it right now and I can't help with who made it or when, but I can tell you we got it in 2006 with a very old company we purchased in Long Island NY (but had it's start in Cincinnati OH) and merged with our ops in Texas. Our's still has the dark olive green paint in places that seems to have been common on shop furniture from 1900-1940's. It's a very stoutly built unit with heavy gauge steel. Doesn't have ball bearing slides or anything, but still holds a lot of weight without being too difficult to open. We keep a small 1" thick steel plate on it for stamping tags and other small hammering tasks in our mechanic shop. I don't know that I'd say it's valuable from a buyer/seller position, but it's valuable to own.

Back