Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default tool display

Quote Originally Posted by rivett608 View Post
    Power Tools ....... they look like everything from motors with wood handles and chucks added too all the way to those the shape of the fastest and most powerful streamline train of the day.....

And Saws..... these things weigh what seems like a ton...

A Starrett case full of their tools.....

On the other side of the room is a case full of Micrometers.....

Bill - thanks for showing the pics. A wonderful exhibit....I too wish I could make the show

Markus

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had too fixed my brouser, an hour ordeal. It was blocking photobucket?

Was it ever worth the effort. Great exhibit, great photos. Thank you for sharing. You and others obviously made a significant contribution of time and matterial to this museum. Results to be proud of for sure.

x 10 !

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

FYI..... only about 1 month left for this so if you want to see it make your plans........ BTW..... I will be in the museum a lot during August, just ask for me at the front desk... use my real name (Bill Robertson)..... and on Aug. 8th. Phil Stanley who is one of the appraisers on the PBS show "Antique RoadShow" will be there doing verbal tool appraisals and identifications.....

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's an incredible collection. I was asked to give a talk at Skills USA this year and had a chance to run over to the museum and see the exhibit. My dear girlfriend just stood to the side while I drooled and rambled on about what everything was. Also got to see your miniature work, Bill. Truly amazing.

Thanks for sharing,

Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rivett,
    Thank you very much for sharing this exhibition with us Craftsmanship of the highest order, In this materialistic world of today, with built in obselescence, it i most uplifting to be able to look at such high art of the tool makers craft, Does not by half make one feel cheated if one has to go out &purchase any of todays "China-Com Crap" That is why i truly guard the precious old tools of yesterday i own myself.

Hope the local schools take their senior pupils to see it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Phil Stanley who is one of the appraisers on the PBS show "Antique RoadShow"
    Cool! I hope that means he is doing a segment at the museum for the show?????

For those that don't know Phil Stanley, he is the author of many works about measurement and measuring tools including such seminal works as "Boxwood and Ivory" and the magazine "Mensuration".

And, while Phil spent a large part of his career working as a designer for Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC), he should be know, on this group at least, for his early efforts to bring Starrett in to the world of digital micrometers.

Phil knows measuring!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The sad part is no book is planned, there is no money or time for it. I wish there was because I thought the two from CWF were great......
    I suppose I'm being naive. Shouldn't the museum have photographed and documented the contents of each display case as it was assembled, to print as a guidebook for the collection? It could have been sold as a memento, reference work, etc. A perfect fund raiser which could be sold in the museum gift shop, long after the display was taken down. With on-line publishing and printing, the photo editing would probably have been the most difficult part.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Just 2 weekends left!!!!

If you want to see this you had better hurry....... next Sunday is the last day and then it all comes down! BTW Sat. the 29th is a FREE day at the museum so bring your whole family! and I'll be over there for a while that day....... also might be there tomorrow for a while too.... so if you come just ask if I am around.

I also want to thank all those that did make it to the show....... Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rivett608,

I have a feeling that this exhibition is going to go down in history as one of the premier exhibitions of tools of all time, much like the Pan American Exposition or the Centennial Exposition are remembered for machinery.

John Ruth

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default What a great exhibit and host

Although I could not join my fellow PM'ers earlier last month, I did manage to make the trek from St. Louis to the museum today (Saturday) the day before the exhibit closed and I am glad I made the trip! Although the photo's do give a sense of the scope and scale of the what was displayed, meeting Rivett608 and learning the "story behind the tools" really made it special. It was a pleasure to meet Rivett608 and fellow PM'er Scott, to see the collection and get a personal tour of some of the finest miniatures I have ever seen in my life.

What an opportunity to see this private collection, and thanks to Rivett608 and the Practical Machinist community for letting me know about it.
    Denis

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I second what Dennis said. It was great to see the tool collection, but having the personal tour really made it special. Thanks to Bill for spending the time with us today.

It was great to meet both Bill and Dennis.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well.... the exhibit is all gone now...... it closed and the tools have all been put away.

I would like to Thank everybody, especially those on the PM for all the help, ideas, loans (Mac), support and comments. I also want to really thank all those that were able to travel to come see it. THANK YOU!!!!!

The whole fun of doing this is to be able to share it and I had dreamed about doing a show like this for years....... so now it is time to start thinking of the next dream of a bigger show?????

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rivett,

Seeing all the pictures of early, old and rare-scarce tools displayed in such a creative, elegant fashion was simply wonderful. Thank you for putting the whole show together!

If anyone can produce a bigger, more spectacular future tool show, it just has to be to be you! I hope you are able to follow your "next dream of a bigger show" through to fulfillment.

The now closed, first modern day showing of such a collection was an important event to many tool folks. Many major museums are downsizing similar displays. Without future effort toward a new display of them, I fear only the pictures will remain and the tools will disappear forever back into their respective collections and drawers.

One thought for the preserving the dismantled display - if you have enough quality pictures of the displays and individual pictures, perhaps a catalog or even a 2011 calendar would be a great way to keep it alive? Maybe follow the example of Roger Smith's new 2010 calendar of planes? It could bring in some $$$$$ too!!

Or, if nothing else, how about combining all the pictures shown here on PM, maybe add a few others and create a web site for them - on a long term, permanent basis. There are folks who might host the site for free e.g., Seattle Steve at Union Hill.

Thank you again. I just can't let you let it die!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rivett
    Thanks for all the descriptions & pictures, must have been a great show, shame it was just a bit to far to travel on my old bike....

Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What is your old Bike? I have a 1968
    Moto Guzzi and a 1983 BMW R100 RS. Several others also.
    Been to IOM in 2000 as a Race Marshall.
    KL
    Polepenhollow
    USA

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

KL - check your PMs
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Some Squares including one of Starrett's very first ones he made in the back of Richarson's shop in 1879...... less than a 1/2 dozen are known....
    Rivett, (or anyone that might know)
    What identifies a first model??
    I have a few early Starrett squares and one of the nine inch examples has a brass lock nut with rope knurling, (the knurls do not match. One of them is a lot finer pattern than the other. There is no patent info stamped on the square head in the usual place(s), and it is attached to a square-grooved rule marked "STARRETT'S PAT MAY 6 1879", all in one line. The rule is graduated 12th's 16th's, 16th's and 32th's and has six holes on one end.

Could this be a 'first model'??

Anyone
    What is the correct original use for the holes in the end of the scale??

Thanks everyone.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wow I have a pair of Brown & Sharp vernier calipers with the case that were my fathers that he got as an apprentice in 1959. As well as some of the other tools he has had since then. I might add they still work like new and hold a .0001 accuracy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by skoobiz View Post
    Wow I have a pair of Brown & Sharp vernier calipers with the case that were my fathers that he got as an apprentice in 1959. As well as some of the other tools he has had since then. I might add they still work like new and hold a .0001 accuracy.
    I bet they're not blurry - like photos on a certain photo hosting website.

Can you open a thread and bring pix to us from your computer - those will NEVER get blurry - if they're halfway decent to begin with.

Sorry for the facetious commentary. Photo hosting sites AREN'T what they used to be - IMHO a sort of planned deception.

But who would have really expected otherwise?

Joe in NH

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I need a good solution for this, I might start some of the more popular threads with new versions of the photos or I might start my own website where I have control of this stuff. Don’t know yet, it all takes a lot of time. But I see this thread has been read 33k times so it might be worth it.

21. Likes TheOldCar, Joe in NH, jkopel, 3512B liked this post