What's new
What's new

Anvil pictures

JonesL

Plastic
Didn't have time to go over this with a fine toothed comb but here's an anvil I spotted in my travels.
It's seen it's share of use but the impressive part is its size. That's a full-sized pallet rack it's sitting beside.thumbnail_IMG_2290.jpgthumbnail_IMG_2292.jpgthumbnail_IMG_2293.jpg

I would buy the living heck out of that if given a chance. It's a Fisher eagle anvil, one of the best makes in my opinion. The tops are nice and hard with great rebound, plenty of mass under the face, and they don't ring at all. Just a nice polite clack. Big ones are rare! My first anvil was an early 150 lb. Fisher... it's only problem was chipped up edges, as you can see from the one pictured the hardness of the top can lead to edge chipping. Yours there isn't too awful bad though.

My dad preferred Fisher anvils... he had a 250 and a 350 when he was smithing full time. I still have a 100 lb that I use for general shop work.

I remember seeing one a guy in northwest PA had, that came out of the oil fields. 850 lbs, and somebody had somehow managed to rip the horn off...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I asked and was politely told 'No, it's not for sale'. Sounds like he gets a dozen requests a week to buy it.
I've got a Peter Wright marked 1 2 10 and this guy makes mine look like a salesman's sample.

I have a 300# Fisher in my shop that I inherited from my father. I get asked all the time if I want to sell it. They all get the same answer - Nope.

Attachments

• shop1.jpg
    shop1.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 68
  • shop2.jpg
    shop2.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 67
I was hanging out at the scrap yard some months back watching for treasures, old ratty pickup rolled in squatting pretty well, walked over to look and it was a massive anvil in the bed, I thought it was going to be my lucky day. Turns out the guy just wanted to weigh it, came out at 351 lbs, I offered to buy but got the "not selling it" answer, bummer.

Back