What's new
What's new

Any DoAll band saw experts ?

Not by any means an expert but I have used them and love them. If you are really lucky the saw you are looking at will have the lighted magnifier accessory that plugs into a socket just above the throat.

Jabber, model number and general condition might be helpful. As John said above,although there are alternate sources for some parts that won't break the bank. They are simple to work on and very durable. Jim

Millacron probably knows about some German saw made of unobtanium that is better but as a saw for us mortals you will not find a better saw. Parts may be expensive, I don't know, other than a few blade guide odds and ends I have never needed any in 18 years of use. Mine was built in 1956, I think the guy that designed it used to design tanks for the Army. when you move it remember these saws are HEAVY and tall. This makes the center of gravity height high, if you are not careful you can tip it over. It is a good idea to remove the table before you move it, if it tips and you break the table trunion you will learn about the high parts prices.

Is this a horiztontal or a vertical?

If it's a vertical look very carefully for things like cracks in the trunnion - sometimes people pick them up there with a forklift and break it. (This is the trunnion for the tilting table.)

Cracks in castings or other strutural parts would be the biggest worry for me.

Doall does have a fair number of manuals on their web site (or did) - you might look up the model number and see if you can find the relevent manual and have a read over.

If it has a miter gauge, feed unit, etc. make sure all of the parts are there - these things have largely been passed by in the market, so they're hard to find, and you don't want your miter gauge, gravity feed, etc. to not work for want of some little part.

Overall a saw with a good reputation.

The age and condition have a bit to do with the reliability.
Some newer saws have electronic speed controls, rather than mechanical speed controls.
60's vintage will probably be mechanical.
Some have and optional blade welder.
Most of the DoAll verticals I have been around have welded frames, so cracked frames should be very uncommon.

The speed range varies by model, so be sure it has the range of speeds you need for your work.

Check the condition of the tires if its a vertical saw.

If the saw needs major work or an overhaul, pay very close attention to how the alignment of the wheels is done and be sure you can bring them back into alignment before removing them.

I think there's been a 16" Vertical DoAll in EVERY shop I've ever worked in.

They are the "Standard" by which all others are judged.

As simple as a "Lawnmower" and durable as a "Hammer".

The Speed Indicator ( Blade Tach ) seems to be the weakest link, ... but is not essential to the operation of the Saw.

I use my 16" Vertical DoAll, for something, nearly every day.

That being said, ... if you ever get an opportunity to own a "Marvel" Saw, ... grab it.

:D i have the very good fortune to have a doall 20" vertical contouring saw and a marvel-8 vertical cut-off saw. :D

there really is a kind of calm peace that comes with this.....

If you think Doall parts are pricey,you will really get heartburn from the Marvel site. We have a Marvel and 2 Doall's at work, 2 verticals and a horizontal,I have made parts for them when I could rather than pay the price. They all get daily hard use from untrained personnel and their durability is a tribute to American workmanship. Jim

Back