What's new
What's new

Any idea where this comes from and/or how it works?

Bloke

Plastic
I saw this hand vise/clamp thing on a youtube video. The author thinks it's a type of old french plumbing pliers (his rough translation).

The lower (outer) handle rotates to tighten/loosen while the upper (inner) handle seems to be attached to the lower jaw. The lower jaw and inner handle slide up and down to tighten and loosen against the fixed upper jaw. It seems pretty simple except I can't see any threads. Looking to duplicate it. Sorry for the small pix!

HandVise2.jpgHandVise1.jpg

My thought is the threads are on the shank of the upper jaw and internal on the lower handle. I believe I see 3 different diameters on the round parts,smallest on the fixed jaw and largest on the lower handle.

I looked at the video again and there may be more to it. I agree about the 3 diameters. The middle diameter and lower jaw do not in fact slide up and down inside the outer diameter (I thought they did). The middle diameter and lower jaw do slide over the inner (smallest) diameter, which is attached to the upper jaw, but the largest diameter (handle) just rotates around the middle diameter, and moves the handle, middle diameter and lower jaw up and down in concert.

Back