What's new
What's new

Anybody ever mount a 16" plain back 4 jaw chuck to a D1-6 adapter plate?

marka12161

Stainless
I'm chuck shopping and there a couple new 15 3/4" to 16" plain back 4 jaw chucks on ebay. I'd pull the trigger on one of these if i could be confident i can find a D1-6 backplate that can be modified to fit. I can imagine the chuck mounting bolts might interfere with the cam-lock pins but without actual dimensions, i'm left guessing.

Depends:D

D1-6" pins are on a 5.250 bolt circle and their lock screws are more or less on the same B.C. meaning any additional bolting on or near that B.C. have to fit between a lock screw and a cam lock pin's threads - and have to conform in large part to the 60 degree apart layout - practically impossible on the four bolts the chuck has

The cure of course is to have a big enough back plate and chuck bolt circle to clear the details on the smaller B.C.. A similar but less desirable cure is to just have a THICK enough back plate to suit

A place to start is ask seller for B.C. diameter on the chuck before you buy it

ON EDIT
practically impossible on the four bolts the chuck has

A trip to the shop shows me the above isn't very accurate:D

One backplate shows plenty of room for four 1/2-13 on 5 1/2" B.C. -assuming plate was thick enough for lock screw tapped holes other side

Thumbnail is screen shot

Attachments

• D16.jpg
    D16.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
And showing the hidden lock screws back side interfering with two of four chuck mount holes. The reason for either thickness or larger bolt circle

Attachments

• D16 lock screws.jpg
    D16 lock screws.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 75
Thanks John. I've got a question into the seller on the bolt circle diameter. My ultra-precise measurements from the pic in the add indicate it may be cutting it close. Worst case is i just buy a slightly used 4 jaw in excellent condition with the proper adapter plate already mounted.

Mark

Back