What's new
What's new

Anyone experienced in the maintenance of Merrow A class sewing machines?

Mechanola

Stainless
Hi, all

Having a soft spot with sewing machines I’m doing some research on barrel cam mechanisms and in doing so I have discovered the Merrow. According to the company’s website text an A class of machines was introduced in 1932. Those have a pair of geared cylindrical parts that are grooved. It is said that they can be run at up to 5,500 rpm. My question is: has anybody practical experience with the cam movement? What are the crucial points to be observed in regards to lubrication of the grooves and the followers?

Simon

Merrow is still in business, and still actively developing new machines. They can probably advise you on this. Your next best source is an sewing machine mechanic experienced with Merrow machines (which as you probably are aware are a bit of a specialized machine). If Switzerland is like the US in this regard, you may have to find a sewing machine mechanic through their customers. I can post an inquiry over on the fashion-incubator forums if you like.

Very kind of you but no. Thanks anyway

I’d like to find a third-party opinion as sewing-machine mechanics are a very special breed not unlike typewriter mechanics. The most biased statements about the products they deal with I have found with movie camera techs, though.

Back