What's new
What's new

Anyone with some knowledge please? Need some help dearly

Jdm3

Plastic
I am new member. I have a compressor that’s about 100 years old, I have scoured the internet for pictures and anyone knowing anything, I just keep finding nothing and no one… so I come to PM in hopes of finding someone who can help. I am not sure how to post pictures though so this may be a problem….

I am new member. I have a compressor that’s about 100 years old, I have scoured the internet for pictures and anyone knowing anything, I just keep finding nothing and no one… so I come to PM in hopes of finding someone who can help. I am not sure how to post pictures though so this may be a problem….

Edit a post. Select advanced. Manage attachments.

It shouldn't prove any more difficult than a thousand OTHER computerish things.

Given you have roughly 21 hours before a(ny) of your posts goes no longer editable nor deletable?

Experiment.

Just delete your disappointments.

That easy, actually.

NB: 100 year old COMPRESSOR might be rebuildable to good as it ever was. Lotta good Iron in many of 'em. Bearings and valves were brute-simple, too. Many of those that old also remained in production for a long time.

Some makes, the currently shipping product is to a design that is VERY old. If it wasn't broke, why change it? Not as if it were a telephone.

An (air?) receiver TANK for it?
Not so much!

Goodest news might be you don't even HAVE the tank.

Absence of it will "lead you not into temptation."

For WHATEVER reason, some folk are determined to try to salvage them. That's actually dangerous.

That's actually dangerous

Like my Sears two stage Cambell Hausfield - 5 HP three phase, 80 gal vertical I bought new in 1984

I don't run it any more - even though its but 37 years from new

Who knows how far along it has progressed towards being a BOMB

Like my Sears two stage Cambell Hausfield - 5 HP three phase, 80 gal vertical I bought new in 1984

I don't run it any more - even though its but 37 years from new

Who knows how far along it has progressed towards being a BOMB

Yabut.... a Campbell-Hausefeld of 37 years ago has NO relation to the five-year old 20 -gallon made nowadays with too-much-Chinese-influenced "race to the bottom" production cost cutting ... the one from Lowes I scrapped last year..

Because of a tank that worries even an old demolitions guy! I WAS going to put a hurricane fence "blast mat" / shrapnel-containment shield around it ..and said WHY TF?

It did its job. It no longer owes me a dime.

Buy a better TANK next time.

Then replace the compressor if need be.

Compressor fail ain't going to put my fragile bod at risk.

Tank fail can do.

A few years ago we had a 100 gallon tank included in an auction haul. Stamped 1948 on the side. It was in use, never by us.

Entire thing was 3/8” plate. Impressively built, inspection ports and all.

A few years ago we had a 100 gallon tank included in an auction haul. Stamped 1948 on the side. It was in use, never by us.

Entire thing was 3/8” plate. Impressively built, inspection ports and all.

Morgantown, West Virginia had ISTR SIX *massive* pressure tanks built by the "MOW" "Morgantown Ordnance Works" during War TWO. That they then couldn't get RID of for over twenty years!

Word had it they were a top-secret part of the Manhattan Engineer District's rush to build the Atom Bomb .

It MAY have been true for MOW. It wasn't true for the tankage.

They were for a "light oil" production program and meant to store Ammonia!

But nobody had the money to even cut the monstrous things up for scrap!

https://wvhistoryonview.org/image/009637.jpg

Best rule for old compressors, and I do NOT mean just 100 yo ones, is that every old compressor has a bad tank unless proven otherwise.

Years ago I bought an older compressor, a smaller one, on the strength of it having a new looking replacement tank with actual ASME stamps etc on it, and a recent date, maybe 3 years old max. It ran and built pressure, although I did not run it up to operating pressure.

So, when I went to use it, based on the tank looking perfect and stamps, etc, it got up to near operating pressure, then spat out two plugs of rust ...... The SOB had a tank that had OEM paint, all the right stamps, and a recent date, but it was rusted out even so. I was pissed, but I realized I had assumed just a little too much.

Best rule for old compressors, and I do NOT mean just 100 yo ones, is that every old compressor has a bad tank unless proven otherwise.
Problem is.. once China started filling up Big Box and the roofing, framing, remodeling, and Harry Homeowner market for air tools and compressors exploded in volume?

US makers tried to cut corners to compete.

And "old compressor" dropped to five years.

GOOD tanks can still be had. SERIOUS air users (some right here on PM) have no tolerance for shite that can down an entire "revenue" production line if it craps out.

But they cost a LOT of money "relatively"!

So some folk at the next tier or three down do the math, buy a new rig, outright at five year intervals. Peddle the old one on Craigslist or the like.

And right THERE is where the REAL danger enters. Second and subsequent owners.

Most of those who hold a compressor own a paint spray gun. I mean.. you have an air compressor all your very own?

Why would one NOT?

:(

Test

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=322478&d=1623034762

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=322477&d=1623034699

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=322476&d=1623034629

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/.../322474-7374cb1d-046b-4c13-af0b-aa070477e289/

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/.../322475-de6c1920-1b39-425f-af74-dd2286546163/

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/.../322476-a976d4ec-9728-4129-a6d1-9a60b3121335/

Hopefully that worked….. I think because I am using iPhone, it’s difficult, but was able to load 5 pictures, by clicking the full version of website at bottom. As for compressor; I have called Stanley black and decker, who owns devilbliss now I guess, with no response from them email or phone call, so I may SOL with them helping. There’s a company called MAT Holdings but I guess they only bought devilbliss’ building(s)? At least I got a response from them. I have found some info on the motor from patent dates, but still not much. I think one parent was from 1916. I just wanted to know from one of the companies, if it was a devilbliss or a Kellogg, the plate was originally brass pinned through the case. I could see them when I drained oil from the inside but as you can see in the cast, it had Kellogg Rochester, N.Y. On it as well. Maybe one of the companies sub-contracted or worked together for a period of time. When I sand blasted and stripped it, it looked like it originally was a dark green color, but would like to know before painting it, there was a few pieces missing out of the lowest piston ring, but I saw it run before taking apart, but would like to know if there is any place to find them, or shop to machine them. Also in my excitement and haste, I did not take pictures, it seemed simple enough to reassemble, it’s just the outside tubing, all the internals I did take pictures and got together cleaned and original. If I could find a picture of something like this or diagram from the company, it would make it easier to know for sure which valve, tube, etc. goes where it belongs… I don’t believe in throwing anything of this age away, especially if it runs. Thank you for the help on posting pictures, I think I will use the computer for future posting. Thanks!

there was a few pieces missing out of the lowest piston ring, but I saw it run before taking apart, but would like to know if there is any place to find them, or shop to machine them.

Piston rings we used to be able to buy the same way the OEM MAKERS bought the originals. On specs. From the likes of Hastings, Perfect Circle, and "not only".

As with nuts, bolts, and seals, nobody in their right mind makes their own.

The specialty makers do them in such volume on specialized machinery, heat-treat, and gaging it is too expensive to try to do few-sies without all that gear and the staff already experienced at using it well. Even a Cast-Iron ring has to have "just right" spring tension. And they are pretty cheap.

One compressor I had to do "emergency field repairs" on? The fourth stage had IIRC six or 8 rings in Nickel-Aluminium Bronze. Mere 120 CFM.At a steady 3,600 PSIG.

Ordered up a replacement.

Some wise-ass Major keeping a swivel-chair seat from feeling unloved up at MACV HQ got all snotty in a phone call:

"Young Lootenant? I don't know who you think you are fooling, but tell me.. just what the f**k sort of equipment uses a $12,500 air compressor as a "repair part?"

"Major? Would you believe a two-point-eight million dollar field-mobile Liquid Oxygen plant?"

I got my freakin' "repair part!" Then a crane to make the swap! A PB-44 was actually priced cheaper than hamburger, by weight.

:)

Are you able to see the pictures I posted?

YES!

And If I can? Most anybody can.

Because I run an "industrial strength *BSD UNIX on my workstation.

And have over 60 thousand adverhooring/membership/paywall/registration-required websites hard BLOCKED! Plus "privoxy" doing on-the-fly pattern analysis and constant F/LOSS bad-actor-db updates.

And few others even amongst Unix wizards do even a fraction of that, if any filtering at all.

I was able to see the last three, but not the first, and they're small... the first I can see shows an ID tag that identifies a repulsion-start Western Electric motor, the second was a cylinder head, the third an oil fill...

They are posted on my profile I believe also. I still haven’t found any information on anything. DV air said they have nothing, and haven’t even heard back from Kellogg so assuming they haven’t found anything either. I just can’t believe there’s not one person who hasn’t seen this type of compressor…

Yes if you go to my profile and click on photo album there’s 8 pictures there that may help

Back