What's new
What's new

Archdale Radial drill

azer

Plastic
Hi,

I've got an old archdale radial drill, with about a 4'6" arm on it. recently i cant seem to get it to lock on the main arm to stop it swinging as it will still move when locked if i lean on it. The arm locking mechanism seems to vanish in to the main casting on the arm with no bolts or plates to take off to see it. Is there a way to get to replace/fix the lock without taking the whole arm off the top of the machine to get to the inside of it?

Cheers.

New to forum. Just thought I’d jump in and ask here as you all seem very knowledgable ( bit of flattery first 😅)
Ancient Archdale : Can’t get arm to travel down the column, it will only go up.
Can someone help before it’s out of reach 😉
Thanks

New to forum. Just thought I’d jump in and ask here as you all seem very knowledgable ( bit of flattery first ��)
Ancient Archdale : Can’t get arm to travel down the column, it will only go up.
Can someone help before it’s out of reach ��
Thanks

I’ve worked on “Archdale” radial drills in the past but never on that particular problem. It did happen on “Asquith” radial drills. How they worked was the arm hung off the elevating screw. The screw hung through the driving gear in the top box and had a flange that rested on the gear. The weight of the arm kept the screw flange in contact with the gear and friction drove the screw. If you bottomed the arm out on a job the screw was lifted slightly and the friction drive was lost. Simple really. If the arm became tight on the column and the weight of the arm became negligible the same thing happened. Maybe “ Archdale’s “ had a similar mechanism. Hope that helps.

Regards Tyrone.

Back