Armstrong Pipe threader--For Sale
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Armstrong Pipe threader--For Sale

Let us just call this an old tool. Somebody here may want to include it in their collection of Vintage Tools. Put it on display in a mechanical contractors meeting room perhaps? Thread pipe if you are so inclined to do so. Look at the pics. Everything is included. IMHO i do not believe it was used very much. The box is intact with no repairs. All original lettering is there. The instructions are brittle and broken. This set is a No. 2 Armstrong threader. I have no desire to keep it anymore. $25.00 plus whatever it takes to ship it to you. If you decide you want it PM me and reply to the thread. Paypal, check or money order. You choose. When we have someone that wants it I will box it appropriately and get a price from USPS or UPS. Depending on cost you can then decide yea or nay. You can even pick it up at my home if you want. The wooden box is 4" by 6" by 14.5" long. Not extremely heavy so it can't be that much to ship as long as it is shipped inside the lower 48. You want it to go to Canada? You better have deep pockets.

100_1454.jpg100_1451.jpg100_1452.jpg100_1453.jpg100_1455.jpg

2. Likes Peter S liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'd love to display it in our blacksmith shop/museum Tommy. PM sent. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Threader most likely going to ND. Standby.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Does anyone here know the chronology of Armstrong-branded pipe tools? The Bridgeport, Connecticut Armstrong sold pipe tools before the Chicago-based Armstrong Brothers went into the pipe-tool business, but I'm curious if Armstrong Brothers waited until Armstrong closed their doors for the last time, bought the rights to the name, or ???

I also know that in the late 1960s and early 1970s, Armstrong Brothers and Ridgid Tool had a you-scratch-my-back-and-I'll-scratch-yours relationship; Armstrong Brothers manufactured pipe tongs sold under both brands, while Ridgid Tool make Ridgid-pattern pipe wrenches that were sold under both names. (Ridgid also made pipe wrenches for Proto after Proto's owner, Ingersoll-Rand, decided to stop production of Proto's drop-forged-handle version of the Ridgid-pattern pipe wrenches.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

McMaster-Carr Catalog #32 from 1931

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good to see that this set might find a suitable home.
    And Mike, thanks for that Depression era MMC catalog pic. MMC was already something like 30 years old at that time. Any idea as to when Armstrong first produced the threader?

-Marty-

8. Likes 3512B liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I worry the thin and brittle box will be splinters by the time the football game called "shipping" is done with it. Nice bit of kit though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

here it is in a Crane catalog # 141 from 1921

Mike

crane-1921.jpg

11. Likes cretedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Came home from work today to find a UPS package on the front porch. Inside, behold, was the above pictured Armstrong threader in its fine period box. Everything arrived in great condition. My compliments to you Tommy for knowing how to PROPERLY pack something for shipment. And to top it off, there was a little something extra in the package- A set of very period safety glasses in their original packaging. I'll post or send photos when we get the items up on display.

Many thanks Sir!
    JMc

13. Likes kevin johnson, Peter S liked this post