What's new
What's new

Atlas Milling Machine - Need help identifying model number

AlanM

Plastic
Can anyone tell me the model number of this Atlas Milling Machine? Any help to locate operating instructions or other information on it will be appreciated. The patent was issued in 1942.
Thank you

Attachments

• 2021-07-29 003.jpg
    2021-07-29 003.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 185
  • 2021-07-29 004.jpg
    2021-07-29 004.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 161
  • 2021-07-29 012.jpg
    2021-07-29 012.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 149
  • 2021-07-29 014.jpg
    2021-07-29 014.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 144
Can anyone tell me the model number of this Atlas Milling Machine? Any help to locate operating instructions or other information on it will be appreciated. The patent was issued in 1942.
Thank you

I can help you by showing you a link to the Vintage Machinery website, with online catalogs and manuals and lots of other good information.

Atlas Press Co. - Publication Reprints | VintageMachinery.org

Then I will explain post #2. The owner of this Practical Machinist website absolutely forbids discussion of Atlas and other hobby machines. He will lock the thread once he sees it, so there will be no more posts.

Larry

As mod I am experimenting with allowing discussion of Atlas machines, pending further instruction from the board management- so no lock at this time ��

As mod I am experimenting with allowing discussion of Atlas machines, pending further instruction from the board management- so no lock at this time ��

Why ?

There has always been a place for atlas discussion, just not here.

As per the last instruction I got, must be over 10 years ago, discussion of Atlas machines was forbidden all over PM. Subject to correction by site mgmt, I'm experimentially allowing it in the Antique Forum.

Yes, but there is no communication- at least that I know of, in relation to the Antique Machinery/History subforum. If the old rules still apply I (and this subforum) will receive an abrupt and pointed reminder at some point. In the meantime I'm inclined to exercise enough latitude to discuss Atlas machines in a reasonable fashion- they are certainly antiques, like the power hacksaws that show up here from time to time which I've been permitting.

There are plans to update the forum software, I and presumably other mods did some testing on it- which looked fine. If the update ends up looking like what I tested it should not be traumatic.

As an admitted apprentice, I think these old horizontal mills are cool. How else can one learn while on a budget? If one were to make their own small horizontal mill would the bias against it exist?
Are they "professional"? No way. But they are antique and I would like to think they inspire apprentices to bigger and better machines. I'd love to have one to play with. Better to make mistakes on small and "delicate" machines than bigger, more expensive machines.
Lastly, i believe, a Journeyman who fails to inspire the layman to become an apprentice is doing their profession a dis-service.
Just my humble opinion. ;)

Vintage machines (with the A word) as a starter drug to the more substantial American Iron has some merit. While I started with a Hendey, that was just luck and I am so very thankful for the information and relationships I've made in this forum. I'm sure the hobby forums are great but I sincerely doubt I would have learned anywhere near as much. I certainly wouldn't own a Hendey lathe, milling machine, shaper and planer... all from before 1904 if I hadn't stopped in PM first.

My parents shop in the early 60's made guidance parts for the military. They had an Atlas produciton mill like that that did second op on one job. I remember wanting to do something on that machine or on the "Childs" (even smaller) when I was still in elementry school.

I was coarsly told "You'll learn nothing running that!". And they stuck me on a Cinci 2mh, it was s steep but valuable learning curve. Given that the hobby machines frequently fetch more than something similar and industrial and come up way short on experience... why bother. Just my curmudgenly $0.02!

Yes, but there is no communication- at least that I know of, in relation to the Antique Machinery/History subforum. If the old rules still apply I (and this subforum) will receive an abrupt and pointed reminder at some point. In the meantime I'm inclined to exercise enough latitude to discuss Atlas machines in a reasonable fashion- they are certainly antiques, like the power hacksaws that show up here from time to time which I've been permitting.

There are plans to update the forum software, I and presumably other mods did some testing on it- which looked fine. If the update ends up looking like what I tested it should not be traumatic.

Be careful what your wish for. VD "updated" [read f#$%ed up] the Case Colt Ingersoll garden tractor site of whick I am a mod. Lost a bunch of manuals and are doing almost nothing to replace them. Plastered the site with USELESS ads for owners of these great little machines and unless you are really computer literate, made the site far harder to navigate in their SOLE goal to make more money off it. After the first couple of weeks they don't even reply to queries or problems that arise.

I appreciate being able to post on the forum and that the owner can decide what is and isn't allowable .
While I wouldn't want to see this forum over run with posts about this brand of machinery I do support Greg's idea of allowing some latitude .
I have often thought in years past especially when I had seen some first time posters asking for information about their machines only to have the thread locked as per the policy that it may have deterred some people from ever posting again .
I know it may not have always been the case but some of them may have become valuable contributors to this site or saved another more "valuable " or historically important machine at some point later on rather than gone away with the feeling of having the door slammed in their face.
If the O.P. didn't find the info. he was looking for on the Vintage machinery site I have some printed material from the 1940s and photocopies of the parts book for at least some models of the mill.
I have attached some scans that I hope are readable .
I can scan and share more pages if someone would like them .
You can contact me through the forum email or by private message but I prefer email since my message inbox is often full.
Jim

Attachments

• Image (527).jpg
    Image (527).jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 75
  • Image (528).jpg
    Image (528).jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 61
  • Image (529).jpg
    Image (529).jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 59
I think the Atlas horizontal mills are dead cute and quite useful.

The lathes are a POS and not worth discussing.

This post is worth what I got paid for making it.

PDW

Since we are already outside the letter of the law I don't intend to permit entirely free discussion of Atlas/Craftsman machines, particularly the lathes; the example of this thread is about as far as I'm inclined to go pending further instruction.

Like it or not these little mills WERE used during WW II and maybe in some smaller shops well past that as light production machines with many set up on one or more lever feeds or keeping the screw feeds. I was a PM member before buying one, but would never plug up any forum here with starting an actual thread for any question I had about it. A manual or identifying what exact model it is? Uh fer Keerist's sake do the same as what I did after buying mine. A 5 second Google search pulls up the manual re-prints right here and are exactly what I bought. Atlas Horizontal Milling Machine Instructions & Parts Manual All Models | Ozark Tool Manuals & Books Horizontal milling is the same no matter what the machine size is, but these really are a toy, and if it wasn't for my shop size and floor construction I never would have bought mine in favor of a lot bigger and way better.

I also very much don't agree about having any Atlas machine threads anywhere on this site. It's well beneath what these forums should be about, and even the SB lathes forum pushes things for a lot of thread topics. But at least it's off in it's own corner. If I want medical advise I go to my doctor, if I want the same pro level machining information that's known to work I come here.

I like the "no hobby machines" rule. The alternative is to be drowned in them and run the risk of losing the essentially professional quality of this forum. And, I say that as a hobbyist myself, albeit it one that has old, professional grade machines.

Back