What's new
What's new

Awesome Condition Starrett Athol 923 Vise questions.

dzarren

Plastic
So i found this vise on Facebook Market place. I didn't know what it was at first, i am not familiar with the starrett vises, although i am a bit of a starrett freak as well, mostly freakish about the pre 1895 stuff.

The picture supplied of the vise was poor, and blurry, and was of the "back" side of the vise, so i did not see the manufacturer. I bought it anyway for 25 dollars, thinking any vise is worth at last 50 bucks. I went there, and as i was walking it back to my car, i saw that it was a starrett vise, and this excited me because I know they are fairly uncommon, and I never thought I'd ever be able to have one. When is this vise from? I havent been able to totally figure that out.

Getting it home, it seems that the vise was in very good condition. Although the paint is a bit messed up, the jaws seem to show its really only been clamped down on something maybe 3 or 4 times.

One of the threaded lever things (sot sure the name) for locking down the swivel is missing, along with the threaded post. What is the best plan of action to replace this or have it functioning? it does work with just one side locked down, but not optimal. I would have no problem making the female threaded part with the lever, but the threaded post part has some strange geometry i wouldnt have the easiest time replicating.

Here is the vise before and after i did a big of cleaning of the surface rust. Have i gone too far? should I go further? Is this the original paint? It looks to be original, but i have heard that from the factory, these were just bare cast iron as well. I dont think this is true.

All i did so far was just to polish the bearing surfaces, handle and ball, jaws and the anvil, with a scotch brite pad, to take of the surface rust. there was no pitting, and everything seems nice a sharp and square, seems very good condition. Here are some picture of before and after.

I still have a bunch of questions regarding the vise, I lubricated the bearing surfaces and screw with the only thing that i had that was even close to semi appropriate, which was way lube that i have, SHELL TONNA 32.

The screw still seems kinda tight, and i cant do the "one finger vice jaw in and out" easily that i can do on my record, or Canadian vice. What kind of lubrication can you recommend? I am looking for the absolutely proper thing, I want to dedicate my life to this vise. I heard white lithium grease is alright for this application.
So for the bearing surfaces, I used Shell Tonna 32, but for the rest of the vise, such as the jaws, the handle, the ball, and the anvil, (anywhere there wasnt paint, and wasnt a bearing surface) I applied Starrett Tool and Instrument oil. It's probably a bit overkill, given that i think this oil is designed for micrometers and such, I'm just using it to stave off the rust.

Is there something better to use rather than the Way lube (shell tonna 32) that i have been using? I kind of use this on all my vises, but im reading now there are much better things. I know for sure the screw should probably have something else on it, but what about just the bearing surfaces?

The only reason the second swivel nut and screw are not missing is because it was rusted siezed, and the lever was stuck in such a position as to not allow rotation of the swivel nut, therefore it stayed with the vise. I sprayed it with some penetrating oil till it freed up, then i soaked it in Evaporust overnight. Worked great, looks new!

Okay finally here are some pictures. Might be quite a few of them. Here is when I first got the vise.

118137792_10157618955446732_8211348133965744030_n.jpg

118334806_10157618955341732_662092556020932122_n.jpg

118214626_10157618955161732_1419972405452546937_n.jpg

118285424_10157618954626732_9105767423327870292_n.jpg

118002272_10157618954576732_8612907094434674783_n.jpg
118266422_10157618943591732_6343933249440348490_n.jpg

And finally, here it is after i got my hands on it. Yes, i know, i got really lucky with this vise. I will never be so lucky again, probably.

I was only able to get off one of the vise jaws, so instead of evaporusting both, which was the plan, I just used a brass wire brush to get the surface rust mostly off, and used the scotch bright pad where I could.

118265344_10157618942956732_271228352651178611_n.jpg

See, this is the part i think I will have trouble replicating. Is there a simpler geometry i can use to serve the funtion of the threaded part at the bottom of the photo?
118475770_10157618942921732_6435893307103072784_n.jpg

118502333_10157618942681732_7834066431674647076_n.jpg

118403152_10157618942531732_780691485886540331_n.jpg

118130427_10157618942421732_627321806216569282_n.jpg

This is the other part I will need to make, but I think i will have less trouble with this one. Look at the slot that has been machined (broached?) it still has the burr left over.
118398477_10157618941526732_8102691826289997909_n.jpg

$25!? I paid around 300 for my pre-Starrett Athol, similar model.

Mine only has one lock-down stud. Are you sure it’s supposed to have two?

You know, I thought about this too. When I was searching up this vise online, every single example i came across had either only one lock down stud, or none.

and in this video (i have linked to the proper time in the video) this vise also only has one lock down stud, and he has made a dust cap to plug the other hole on the opposing side?

Fully Restored Starrett Vise |Overview| For Joel Dozer Buschmann @OVERKILLRACINGANDCHASSIS - YouTube

Why would there be a hole there? Also, I seem to notice that the hole for the lock down stud on the right side of the vise (when the jaws are facing you) is a bit chamfered, where as the hole on the left side with no stud is not chamfered at all.

You are likely correct, but what is the other hole for then? And wouldnt it make sense to have two lock down studs? just like every other swivel vise ive seen in existence?

$25?

I'll give you $75 and you pay the shipping.

Seriously, looks like a real nice find.

On the one or two lock downs, I think two are much better than one. My Wilton has two and I love it. Your hard to make part looks like a lathe job and then cut the two flats in the mill. You will need to hog off a lot of metal unless you make it in two parts, which is what I would do.

Edit: Sorry, I did not see the true shape of the part in the first photos. Yes, it is a bit of a challenge. Perhaps drill holes for those sloped notches first, using an indexing head or rotary table mounted on an angle plate. I suspect that there will be a phasing problem where both clamps must engage some teeth in the base at the same time. Perhaps an exact duplicate of the original will work or PERHAPS NOT. This could be checked with a plastic copy of the original one. Make a mold and then cast the copy with plastic and use it to test the fit before making a metal one.

Last edited:
Have one that i purchased new over 35 years ago,,,,Used every day since. Came from factory with only one swivel clamp...never been a problem.
My belief is that Starrett gave two clamp holes to allow end user to choose on which side he wanted the clamp to be installed....
Cheers Ross

Mine has one lock and had a metal plug in the spare hole when I got it.

I got mine for $0. Just had to make jaws for it.

I like the bare metal look on a vise like Rustytool's above. Paint never stays on a vise and ends up on the stuff you're working on. I leave mine bare and it has not been a problem.

If there are pics, I sure can't see them on my screen.

I'd sure like to see a vise - THE vise - that so many before you have died for the mere chance to see, much less own. I don't blame you one bit for dedicating your life to it. I once felt that way about a certain vagina, but though I spent far more than $25 on it, it ran away. Dedication is a good thing, when applied in good measure.

Just to complicate things, I have a starett athol vice, and it has clamps bolts on both sides. The clamps are identical, so i assume it came that way from the factory that way.

Dale Nelson

Re: missing clamp bolt, my first suggestion is to remove the base entirely, bolt the vise solidly to your bench, and let your heirs worry about the missing clamp bolt.

The old Boeing Surplus used to sell machinist benches with Wilton 400 vises on them. Not one ever had the swivel base.

Oh, well nobody listens.

Get a piece of hexagonal 3/4" steel, maybe 12L14. Cut off the proper length and turn the right amount down and thread it. Make a nut for below. Now you can tighten it with a proper wrench and get the tension you will need to keep your vise from swiveling on it's swivel base.

metalmagpie

Do you guys have any advice on what wold be the best for the screw on the vise? Looks to be a buttress thread.
I am finding there is lots of friction there, seems like the fit isnt great. The screw is not bent, but the handle will NOT swing on its own, or fall into the neutral position, it will be stuck wherever you leave it. So there is quite a bit of friction here. Like I said, I used just regular way lube, but would nickle antisieze work better? I just got a jar of this for another project. I'd like to put the absolute best thing in there to have the smoothest screw action i can.

Also any ideas on how old this vice might be?

$25?
On the one or two lock downs, I think two are much better than one.

Yes I think two are much better as well. Conflicting stories, but two would certainly work a bit better than one.

I made my swivel lock wedges in two parts.The bolt in the middle holds the swivel base to the vise.
My 326 has two lock downs.View attachment 297975View attachment 297976View attachment 297977
That’s very interesting. When you made the two lockdown wedges, did you make it such that both parts are identical? Or are they different by one half spacing or something?

Have one that i purchased new over 35 years ago,,,,Used every day since. Came from factory with only one swivel clamp...never been a problem.
My belief is that Starrett gave two clamp holes to allow end user to choose on which side he wanted the clamp to be installed....
Cheers Ross

This is very interesting. I haven’t actually seen an example of a Starrett vice where there were two clamps present, unless they were custom fabricated, I think, so probably you are right, that there only ever is one.

Mine has one lock and had a metal plug in the spare hole when I got it.

I got mine for $0. Just had to make jaws for it.

I like the bare metal look on a vise like Rustytool's above. Paint never stays on a vise and ends up on the stuff you're working on. I leave mine bare and it has not been a problem.

I do like the look for bare cast iron as well, probably will keep the paint on mine till its too nasty to bear, then wire wheel it, and call it naked from then on.

If there are pics, I sure can't see them on my screen.

I'd sure like to see a vise - THE vise - that so many before you have died for the mere chance to see, much less own. I don't blame you one bit for dedicating your life to it. I once felt that way about a certain vagina, but though I spent far more than $25 on it, it ran away. Dedication is a good thing, when applied in good measure.

Weird, I had like 10 or 15 photos on my post, im not sure as to why you cant see them? Everyone else can see them okay I hope?

Just to complicate things, I have a starett athol vice, and it has clamps bolts on both sides. The clamps are identical, so i assume it came that way from the factory that way.

Dale Nelson

Well if I decide to make a new one, at least I know I can copy the old part directly. Very odd.

Re: missing clamp bolt, my first suggestion is to remove the base entirely, bolt the vise solidly to your bench, and let your heirs worry about the missing clamp bolt.

The old Boeing Surplus used to sell machinist benches with Wilton 400 vises on them. Not one ever had the swivel base.
metalmagpie

Well, in the current configuration of my workshop, there are 7 Vices mounted in various locations around the shop. And several of them are indeed rigidly mounted.
I understand and recognize the benefits to having a non-swivel fully bolted down vice, and I wouldn’t give that up over a swivel vice if I could only choose one,
But that being said, I have several rigid vices mounted, what’s wrong with having this one set up like it was supposed to be? This vice is beautiful and in beautiful condition, its not the one im going to be doing my pipe bending or hammer smashing on, so might be nice to have a bit of extra versatility from this swivel vice that I don’t plan on torqueing with a 7 foot bar.

I bought a Starrett 923 new in the box a few decades ago. Still looking for a place to mount it :) It's in pristine shape because its been sitting in my house for its entire life. Anyway it came with only one clamp down. The swivel base fit is tight and a 2nd clamp is not needed. You scored a complete vise.

Back