Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I got the motor back together. Ran a new power cord for machine. Stuck the motor back in. Ran it several times in both directions for short periods to make sure bushings were not heating up or anything weird. It did very well. With just motor running, pulley freewheels for several seconds after power is cut. No sparks, fire, or sudden stops.

After that I ran it for several minutes in both directions. Motor and bushings doing well, no changes to the thrust or bearing clearance.

The total electric system is doing what it should with no issues. Forward, reverse, and stop are all as it should be. Hooked up belt to spindle. Using a hand held photo tach I'm pulling 3382 rpm in one direction, and 3386 in the other. This falls inline with the 3400 rpm rating of 6" rim mount wheels. The machine and motor both are stable and smooth. Volts and amps are nice and stable, pulling about 2 amps per leg turning the spindle without a grinding load yet.

189.jpg190.jpg

2. Likes Warren, Ray Behner, mcload liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Started working on the table for rim wheel side. The sections of table where you work the most were wore down pretty significantly. In the first pic I had already taken about .040-050" off the surface using my surface grinder, but you can still see the worn patches are deeper yet.

I decided to make up a new surface for table, or wear plates let's say. I used 3" flat stock. It doesn't reach the rear end of table, but that section of table is not used in grinding operations, that part of table is used to straddle the machine, and keep table from rotating, its a pretty close fit. Anyway, it'll work well enough and get the job done.

I ran the mating surface of flat stock pieces through surface grinder as well. With it flat I figured out where to drill and tap through table. You can see all the allen head bolts on bottom side of table. When I tightened bolts I chopped off the excess threads fairly close to new table surface. I then stuck the assembly on surface grinder and brought the remaining bolt thread excess down to new table surface.

Once the bolts were even with surface, I ran the whole surface on the surface grinder.

One thing I noticed when finished. Pushing a hss tool on surface, it can tend to drag, dig or scratch, a bit. While the brazed carbide I have slides really smooth. What I am beginning to work out for a miter gauge slides well also. I think in part, its because the 4 side edges of hss are a bit sharpe. I would guess that may be why original surface wore the way it did.

I am re-thinking what I am going to do for a miter gauge, instead of tool sliding directly on table surface, perhaps the miter gauge will have a ledge on tool side for tool to sit down on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 191.jpg   192.jpg   193.jpg   194.jpg   195.jpg  

4. Likes Ray Behner liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not a major thing, other than I'm a little surprised it managed to stay with machine. The coolant catch can. It hangs on some pins below tray. There is a hole on tray with a pipe nipple on lower side. It was a mess, but got it cleaned up and done.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 196.jpg   197.jpg   198.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Getting ready to mount table. Its held on with two pins. The pins have a grease passage. Pins Stay fixed to upper table with a set screw for each. The ends of pins fit into brass bushings on lower side for swivel movement, yu can see in pic 2.

Looking back at pic 1, the grease fittings are threaded close to base of fittings. This allows the brass caps to be screwed on. Kind of a nice detail I thought.

With table mounted you can see rear portion of table straddles a boss on each side of machine.

With a wheel mounted, and table turned in close you can get an idea of what room you have to work with. The table turns out about 2" from wheel also.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 199.jpg   200.jpg   201.jpg  
    Last edited by texasgunsmith; 06-12-2018 at 12:28 PM.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Hampshire
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by texasgunsmith View Post
    Looking back at pic 1, the grease fittings are threaded close to base of fittings. This allows the brass caps to be screwed on. Kind of a nice detail I thought.
    How those did not get lost over the years is a mystery to me.(at least the look old in the pics) Like you say they are a nice detail. Your grinder is coming out really nice. it will be a nice addition to your shop for sure.

8. Likes texasgunsmith liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

To give some views of it looking a bit more complete, and some various wheels.

On plate/rim wheel side, as of this date, what I find readily available in new wheels. White AO 46k, Green silicone in 60, 80, 100, and 120 grit. As well as various diamond wheels.

On chip breaker side there is a great wide variety. 1 1/4 wheel hole, can use 1/4' to 1/2" thick, 6"wheels no problem, will also do 3/4" thick, but that's pushing it. That is for straight, flat wheels, in a wide variety of flavors and grits.

Could do a variety of larger, stepped center holes as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 211.jpg   210.jpg   212.jpg   213.jpg   215.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have reached the end of this machine, in that all the original parts and pieces are back in how I received it.
    Edit* I do need to refurbish data and dealer tags, but i need to get into a different mindset when handling those.

Not quite the end of the story however. There are missing items, or improvements I plan to address. The speed for which that happens may vary depending on pressing need. But to add to the ever growing "to do" list:

Miter gauge for rim mount wheel side. Guards for both wheels. Valves, fittings, etc for coolant tank. A machine mounted swiveling/ articulated light. Base/motor door.

Also on chipbreaker side. I plan an attaching mount base. For certain operations I would remove the lathe tool cutter holder complete off table. In its place a base to attach a 4" rotary table that swivels 90 degrees. For working on end mills and etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 217.jpg   216.jpg   218.jpg   219.jpg  

11. Likes SVE Performance, Warren liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had gathered some pieces over time to build a simple miter gauge. I had gotten a piece of oversized 5/8" stock I was going to trim down to fit as the blade to run in trench of table. I also picked up a Starrett No 193 protractor piece. The flat section of protractor is about 3 1/4". I planned to trim and shape a piece of angle iron to attach the protractor to.

I had been considering adding something to fence side of angle iron to clamp lathe tools to fence side of the completed miter gauge when finished.

This week while browsing ebay, I had a stroke of luck. I came across an original miter gauge. I contacted seller to check dimensions. It was correct, with a 3" fence, and a 5/8" blade. Though there was not a "make offer" option on listing, we were able to work out a mutually happy price.

I received it today. You can see it on the machine in pic 2. I also have about 8 or 10 pics from seller. With his permission I am posting them, because the detail is real nice, and may help anyone who is looking for an idea. Besides sliding along table, there is a cross blade for moving fence closer to grinding wheel for side cuts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 220.jpg   202.jpg   209.jpg   208.jpg   221.jpg  

13. Likes Warren, SVE Performance, dwall174 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

More of the miter gauge pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 203.jpg   204.jpg   205.jpg   206.jpg   207.jpg  

15. Likes Warren, dwall174 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

wow! nice job on the tool grinder Tex .that miter gauge is awesome ,i want one ,although I don't really need one ,but admire precession devices .Ray

17. Likes texasgunsmith, mcload liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thumbs up

I am posting them, because the detail is real nice, and may help anyone who is looking for an idea.
    I realize this is an old post, But thanks for posting the pictures!

I've been looking for ideas on making a miter gauge for a Ex-Cell-O carbide grinder.

Doug

19. Likes texasgunsmith liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dwall174 View Post
    I realize this is an old post, But thanks for posting the pictures!

I've been looking for ideas on making a miter gauge for a Ex-Cell-O carbide grinder.

Doug
    Prior to finding an original, and while thinking of building my own, I was also shopping ebay for miter gauges like some vintage type for table saws I thought might be an appropriate size. Just using the upper portion and making my own rail to fit in the slot.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Prior to finding an original, and while thinking of building my own

picked up a Starrett No 193 protractor piece

I planned to trim and shape a piece of angle iron to attach the protractor to.
    I've been thinking of trying to use a thicker material protractor like this German made one.
    Finding a used one here in the USA could be hard.

Doug
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wezu-4in.-head-protractor.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looking at all the pictures and such, this is a fine machine for sharpening tool bits, and I can see why there is no free handing the angle and cuts. it's beautiful.

23. Likes texasgunsmith liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't want to end up in the penalty box again by posting on the rebuild as I go along reading it. What a tremendous job you did. So is it alright to post ?///??