What's new
What's new

B&S #13 - How to lube an oil cup that is mounted sideways (on a handwheel)

torinwalker

Aluminum
Gentlemen,

On my Brown and Sharpe #13 Universal and Tool Grinder (mfg 1943), I have this oil cup that I can't quite figure out how to lubricate:

sideways-oil-cup.JPG

I've tried turning the machine on its side, and tilting it 45 degrees with one hand whilst I squirt oil into the cup with the other.

I don't have an oiler whose tip fits down into the oil cup to create a seal against the interior of the cup (thus using pressure rather than gravity to apply oil.) I'm not sure if sealing against an oil cup is a real thing anyway.

My only other hypothesis is that this was at one time a Zerk fitting, or a right-angled oil cup that was replaced with a straight oil cup. Zerks were patented in 1929, so the timing of availability may be too close for this to have been a Zerk fitting.

Any thoughts?

Torin...

DO NOT put a zerk or alemite fitting on there and pump it full of grease. This is for oil and using grease will just clog the passages. All you need to do is push the oil cup tip to the bottom of the cup, pack a rag around the space remaining between the tip and the cup, and give it a couple of shots.

Wouldn't you know it, an Eagle Oiler from around the same era works perfectly and has the right taper and rounded end to seal against the inside of the cup without spilling a drop.

Why not just replace it with a right angle cup? My friend Kyle Herald most likely has some, he's got a good collection.

Good idea. Though, I don't see the pictures you're referring to. Sure, I could replace with a right-angled cup. If you'll put me in touch with your friend, I could purchase one from him (as well as a replacement for another cup that has a broken hinge on the rotating column base.)

Mike, I saw that coming. I ended up purchasing replacement cups only for the damaged/missing ones on the base of the column and for the motorized headstock. That handwheel cup is fine the way it is. Either type will leak if one isn't careful, so I left it alone.

another option for future reference would be a ball oiler sized for the hole in the handwheel and the tip on your oil can. Not quite as "clean" as an oil cup, but a wipe before use should clean the oiler sufficiently.

Back