What's new
What's new

B&S #13 Tool and Cutter grinder (old style), FREE Brooklyn NY

sheys

Aluminum
It's been a few years since I've posted (I was spending way too much time reading PM so I had to cut myself off for a while) but I thought I would put this machine up to see if anyone was interested in taking her home.

This is an older #13 B&S tool and cutter grinder with workhead, tailstock and a retrofitted Excello 1HP 3500RPM 3PH spindle. This machine was originally driven via flat belts (one for feed and one for spindle) by a 1.5HP ring oiled motor in the base. Motor is still there and runs but the belts are wiring aren't around anymore. I realize that without more tooling this isn't a very useful machine especially given how much space it takes up (kind of a lot). I believe the workhead and tailstock have B&S tapers but I don't recall what #.

BS2.jpgBS3.jpgBS1.jpg

I bought this years back and only ever used it for some funny marble grinding projects. I ran the spindle from a VFD, plugged the workhead into the wall and fed it by hand. It is dirty and heavy (my 3K forklift could barely lift it) but nothing is broken.

If nobody wants the whole machine I'll keep the spindle for myself and part out anything of interest before scrapping it. I need the space for something else!

Machine is located in Brooklyn NY and I can load with a pallet jack onto a dock height truck (give or take an inch). Any questions feel free to ask.

If no one has already responded, I will take it. Looks great. I'm in Long Island City and can pick up anytime. I will send you a PM with details.
Thanks.

I'm bumping this thread to offer the machine again free to anyone who can pick it up complete in the near future. I can load Monday-Friday 7.30am -3pm.
Pick up in Pine Island , NY10969.
I didn't do much to it since I picked it up from Sheys a couple of years ago.
Just paying it forward here.
If no one takes it away promptly , I would consider parting it, but I need the space much more than the $$ or effort needed to pack and ship bits and pieces.
I don't have the chuck; It wasnt included when I picked it up.
Message me to let me know when you're coming so that I can arrange the forklift.

I have not tried using a 13 grinder for a surface grinder but there is no reason that it would not make a fine one. Yes just adding a magnetic chuck with the head and tail removed

Yes, once the chuck was ground in one would not move the tablet. One could even take the table right off.
Adding a drip pan so coolant might be used.

Someone looking for a bargain, this would be it.

Might need to set the mag chuck on a couple of risers. depending on how wide a mag chuck you used.

I have a 13 grinder converted into a 31" industrial knife grinder, with having a tilt head.

I had that same grinder at one time. Same kinda deal. Mine was old and clunky and limited tooling.

I remember it was surprisingly heavy for it's size. The base has a lot of iron in it. It's a bit tricky to move without a 6k+ forklift.

Not sure I would recommend it being used for a surface grinder. Didn't strike me as a configuration that would work for that.

Not much for surface grinding. Way too awkward.
These machines had quite a hey-day grinding circular form tools for B&S screw machines.
I think that was their first intention when they made their appearance in the 1870's.
My first job beginning in 1964 was in a small form tool shop on 13s and surface grinders.
Learned a WHOLE lot about precision shop work. Could not have had a better 'launch' into the trade.
But......those days are (almost) gone.

I started taking the 13 apart today with a view to perhaps parting it out.
I was arms deep into it, assemblies on the floor, when a couple of pennies dropped and I suddenly saw what was stopping me understanding the table power feed issue. The machine has a Hendey style dog-clutch that handles the table feed. It's operated just like my Hendey 14x6 with a pushrod-crank doo-dad in the apron that reaches back to the mechanism that is hidden behind the drive wheel in the back of the machine.
So I'm all juiced up again about the machine now that I understand the biggest issue that the machine had, was that I couldn't figure out how it worked. The motor in the base needs to be linked to a suitable motor starter, I need to make a couple of leather drive belts, and that should do it. Taking the table off and seeing the condition of the ways and bits/gears made me appreciate the heavy gal a lot more. It's a really well made machine.
I'm going to hang onto it; its off the donation list.

I could really use a proper manual, so if anyone has a source for one, please let me know.

Last edited:
I started taking the 13 apart today with a view to perhaps parting it out.
I was arms deep into it, assemblies on the floor, when a couple of pennies dropped and I suddenly saw what was stopping me understanding the table power feed issue. The machine has a Hendey style dog-clutch that handles the table feed. It's operated just like my Hendey 14x6 with a pushrod-crank doo-dad in the apron that reaches back to the mechanism that is hidden behind the drive wheel in the back of the machine.
So I'm all juiced up again about the machine now that I understand the biggest issue that the machine had, was that I couldn't figure out how it worked. The motor in the base needs to be linked to a suitable motor starter, I need to make a couple of leather drive belts, and that should do it. Taking the table off and seeing the condition of the ways and bits/gears made me appreciate the heavy gal a lot more. It's a really well made machine.
I'm going to hang onto it; its off the donation list.

I could really use a proper manual, so if anyone has a source for one, please let me know.

Parts manual gives some idea of the works. free download here.
Brown & Sharpe Mfg. Co. - Publication Reprints - No. 13 Universal and Tool Grinding Machine - Repar Parts | VintageMachinery.org

Back