What's new
What's new

B&S 9 to Morse Taper adapter?

Ultradog MN

Cast Iron
I have an old Millmaster milling machine that uses B&S #9 collet size. I will be using the mill as a drill press more than anything. Have a good Jacobs chuck with #2 Morse taper and a bunch of drill bits with #2 MT that I use in my lathe
Would like to find a sleeve or adapter so I can use the chuck and bits in the mill.
What is the best way to do this?
Does anyone make a BS9 to 2MT adapter to do this? What would it called and where would I look for such a thing?
Thanks

Does anyone make a BS9 to 2MT adapter to do this? What would it called and where would I look for such a thing?
I would start with bing or ecosia because google is evil, but if you search onsite here there have been several references to places that sell B&S #9 tooling.

I wouldn't hold my breath on a BS_9-to-2_Morse tho. Doesn't seem like that would be a big seller. You may end up making your own.

I think you got it backwards.
I need to go the other way.
Maybe this one would work?
I'd have to sleeve it down to 2 but that would be okay.

Brown & Sharpe Taper 9 to Morse Taper 4 Sleeve | eBay

They were never "in shortage" back in the day. I have several. B&S # 9 tail -> 2 MT and 3 MT socket. Some are just longer than others is all.

Easier yet, and also not at all uncommon, #9 B&S to JT-wotever. I have several in the drawers here with various sizes of Jacobs chuck already mounted.

Not selling. I happen to have three #9 B&S "consumers", one horizontal mill, one vertical, plus an indexer/DH (Ellis).

EBay should have what you need cheaply enough. More goods than active users for # 9 B&S these days.

They were never "in shortage" back in the day. I have several. B&S # 9 tail -> 2 MT and 3 MT socket. Some are just longer than others is all.

Easier yet, and also not at all uncommon, #9 B&S to JT-wotever. I have several in the drawers here with various sizes of Jacobs chuck already mounted.

Not selling. I happen to have three #9 B&S "consumers", one horizontal mill, one vertical, plus an indexer/DH (Ellis).

EBay should have what you need cheaply enough. More goods than active users for # 9 B&S these days.

I would sure love to find an B&S 7 to ANY Jacobs taper. I know I can use a 1/2" straight shank in a chuck to an B&S adapter but that uses up even more headroom.

My milling machine project was on hold through the winter but now it's warming up and I need to revisit this.
My mill hass B&S9 spindle. I have several drill bits and a couple of chucks with #2 Morse taper that I would like to use in it.
Is the item below what I need to do this? It does not have the threaded end for the drawbar. How does that work?

Morse Taper 2 to Brown & Sharpe Taper 9 Sleeve | eBay

Then there is this one. It has the threaded end for the drawbar but which part is the Morse taper and which (internal vs external) is the B&S taper? And I wish it was for #2 MT and not #4 MT

Brown & Sharpe Taper 9 to Morse Taper 4 Sleeve | eBay

It's a bit confusing to say the least.

Non draw bar versions worked, draw bar versions were more secure. If you found a DB version,no doubt you would have to MAKE a draw bar to suit your machine

Are your cutters / drills / chucks DB versions?

If you go with the above non DB adapter - you probably realize it will have to come out of your spindle prior to any removal of the MT2 item using the thru slot and a wedge key (assumes MT2 item is tanged - which that particular adapter is made for)

Last edited:
My milling machine project was on hold through the winter but now it's warming up and I need to revisit this.
My mill hass B&S9 spindle. I have several drill bits and a couple of chucks with #2 Morse taper that I would like to use in it.

It's a bit confusing to say the least.

Well .a drill chuck hasn't but a tiny fraction as much grip as a #9 B&S.. . not even my 3/16" to 3/4" ones.

Find other work - trade, or peddle - the MT tail ones.

Put a chuck - commonly JT3 - onto JT3 3/4" straight-shank into 3/4" B&S #9 collet, (HHI usually have those) and yer in bizness with one less player in the "stack" and a shorter overall for swap in/out with less Z cranking to clear.

ER-20 or ER 32 on straight shank are also shorter, grip better as well.

Go for 9BS to 4MT sleeve plus a MT4 to MT2 extension socket. That will allow you to eject MT2 tools without removing the BS9 adapter from the spndle.

Back