What's new
What's new

B&S automatics

BSaddict

Plastic
Hello all. My name is Garret, 26 from northeast Ohio.
Its been about a year now that ive worked with brown and sharpe screw machines ranging from 00g, 0g, 2g and no.2 ultramatics. Ive done very little setting up. Only work with 1 other guy who knows the machinese VERY well. He is always busy setting up and i never get to learn anything.

Long story short, I am amazed by these machines and love them. Any and all knowledge anyone is willing to give me on them i will accept.

I am looking for a friend or two that enjoy talking about brownies, or even maybe someone local to me that would show me their shop.

There is a guy in here that owns a shop with quite a few of them I do believe, maybe he will show up.

I have no experience with these machines but know someone who had a couple of them but I believe got rid of them some time ago.
As I recall they can be had for very little money at times now since very few remain in operation .
Perhaps if your circumstances permit and you were to find a small one for sale and you had a place to run it you could learn some on your own by cleaning the machine up and doing some maintenance on it and set it up to make a simple part.
With time you could find your way and perhaps your friend at work or someone else might be able to come and help you or folks on forums like this one could help you along.
I know its not the same as having someone show you the ropes but there are some videos on line about Brown and Sharpe machines here.
Here is one
Closed down 6 years ago I think there was a post on this forum about this one but I can't find it at the moment .
tubalcain TAKES A FIELD TRIP #1 The Disassembling of America - YouTube
Here is one made by Brown and Sharpe
Brown & Sharpe sample from MasterTask Training - YouTube
If I remember Mr. Pete posts on this forum.
Not all Brown and Sharpe machines but still shows a lot of other setups
TUBALCAIN Takes Field Trip to a Screw Factory - YouTube
If you use the forum search feature for this forum I think you may find a few threads about these machines if you haven't tried that already .
Making cams and profile grinding form tools are other aspects of these machines that were almost trades in themselves in shops that did a lot of this work.
Regards,
Jim

There is a guy in here that owns a shop with quite a few of them I do believe, maybe he will show up.

He SHOULD HAVE OPERATORS MANUAL FOR EACH SERIES. IF NOT YOU CAN FIND SOME Ebay. YOU CAN LEARN A LOT FROM THE MANUALS.
A little common sense will go a long way if you want to learn.
I have 18 2G's ,#2's all 1 1/4"-1 5/8"and a 2" ultramatic under power and there days that we may have 10-12 machines
running with 3 setup/operators.
When I started I didn't know anything about them and didn't know anyone that did. I figure that it takes about 3 years
to make a good setup machinist.
keep YOUR PRODUCTION UP AND WHEN YOU HAVE A FEW SPARE MINUTES LOOK IN ON THE SETUP GUY AND ASK QUESTIONS ASK IF YOU CAN HELP HIM.
The first 3 machines that I bought did have all the manuals and a cam design book SO I HAD TO TAKE A CRASH COURSE IN OPERATING and
figuring out how they operated and Cam making.

If I can help PM me.

Ah yes Jim i have exhausted the search function haha. Found those tubalcain videos about 6 months ago. The inernet and brown and sharpes dont mix haha.

He SHOULD HAVE OPERATORS MANUAL FOR EACH SERIES. IF NOT YOU CAN FIND SOME Ebay. YOU CAN LEARN A LOT FROM THE MANUALS.
A little common sense will go a long way if you want to learn.
I have 18 2G's ,#2's all 1 1/4"-1 5/8"and a 2" ultramatic under power and there days that we may have 10-12 machines
running with 3 setup/operators.
When I started I didn't know anything about them and didn't know anyone that did. I figure that it takes about 3 years
to make a good setup machinist.
keep YOUR PRODUCTION UP AND WHEN YOU HAVE A FEW SPARE MINUTES LOOK IN ON THE SETUP GUY AND ASK QUESTIONS ASK IF YOU CAN HELP HIM.
The first 3 machines that I bought did have all the manuals and a cam design book SO I HAD TO TAKE A CRASH COURSE IN OPERATING and
figuring out how they operated and Cam making.

If I can help PM me.

I plan to put myself into a position that im able to store and run atleast 2 machines. Id love to get a 00g and a 2g or 00 and no.2 Ultramatics if i can manage. Got a couple things in mind to make.

I plan to put myself into a position that im able to store and run atleast 2 machines. Id love to get a 00g and a 2g or 00 and no.2 Ultramatics if i can manage. Got a couple things in mind to make.

Just make sure that you get chain drive spindles.

Ah yes Jim i have exhausted the search function haha. Found those tubalcain videos about 6 months ago. The inernet and brown and sharpes dont mix haha.

For future reference, if you're wanting to find something on PM, a google search sometimes works better than the search function on this site.
I've never had the opportunity to work with those wonderful machines. Good luck in your endeavors.

Back