Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default B&S automatics

Hello all. My name is Garret, 26 from northeast Ohio.
    Its been about a year now that ive worked with brown and sharpe screw machines ranging from 00g, 0g, 2g and no.2 ultramatics. Ive done very little setting up. Only work with 1 other guy who knows the machinese VERY well. He is always busy setting up and i never get to learn anything.

Long story short, I am amazed by these machines and love them. Any and all knowledge anyone is willing to give me on them i will accept.

I am looking for a friend or two that enjoy talking about brownies, or even maybe someone local to me that would show me their shop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

sounds like the guy you are looking for is at your job every day. Try approaching him and tell him how you feel about the machines.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There is a guy in here that owns a shop with quite a few of them I do believe, maybe he will show up.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan from Oakland View Post
    sounds like the guy you are looking for is at your job every day. Try approaching him and tell him how you feel about the machines.
    He knows, we never have time. Just us and 11 machines. Hes always setting up im always operating

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Take the guy out for a burger or a beer...... whatever. Knowledge comes in small bites

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BSaddict View Post
    He knows, we never have time. Just us and 11 machines. Hes always setting up im always operating
    I have a very nice B&S book,yours for the postage. If you have any questions just ask with a PM.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by camscan View Post
    I have a very nice B&S book,yours for the postage. If you have any questions just ask with a PM.
    Ill absolutely take you up on that offer! PM incoming.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have no experience with these machines but know someone who had a couple of them but I believe got rid of them some time ago.
    As I recall they can be had for very little money at times now since very few remain in operation .
    Perhaps if your circumstances permit and you were to find a small one for sale and you had a place to run it you could learn some on your own by cleaning the machine up and doing some maintenance on it and set it up to make a simple part.
    With time you could find your way and perhaps your friend at work or someone else might be able to come and help you or folks on forums like this one could help you along.
    I know its not the same as having someone show you the ropes but there are some videos on line about Brown and Sharpe machines here.
    Here is one
    Closed down 6 years ago I think there was a post on this forum about this one but I can't find it at the moment .
    tubalcain TAKES A FIELD TRIP #1 The Disassembling of America - YouTube
    Here is one made by Brown and Sharpe
    Brown & Sharpe sample from MasterTask Training - YouTube
    If I remember Mr. Pete posts on this forum.
    Not all Brown and Sharpe machines but still shows a lot of other setups
    TUBALCAIN Takes Field Trip to a Screw Factory - YouTube
    If you use the forum search feature for this forum I think you may find a few threads about these machines if you haven't tried that already .
    Making cams and profile grinding form tools are other aspects of these machines that were almost trades in themselves in shops that did a lot of this work.
    Regards,
    Jim

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    There is a guy in here that owns a shop with quite a few of them I do believe, maybe he will show up.
    He SHOULD HAVE OPERATORS MANUAL FOR EACH SERIES. IF NOT YOU CAN FIND SOME Ebay. YOU CAN LEARN A LOT FROM THE MANUALS.
    A little common sense will go a long way if you want to learn.
    I have 18 2G's ,#2's all 1 1/4"-1 5/8"and a 2" ultramatic under power and there days that we may have 10-12 machines
    running with 3 setup/operators.
    When I started I didn't know anything about them and didn't know anyone that did. I figure that it takes about 3 years
    to make a good setup machinist.
    keep YOUR PRODUCTION UP AND WHEN YOU HAVE A FEW SPARE MINUTES LOOK IN ON THE SETUP GUY AND ASK QUESTIONS ASK IF YOU CAN HELP HIM.
    The first 3 machines that I bought did have all the manuals and a cam design book SO I HAD TO TAKE A CRASH COURSE IN OPERATING and
    figuring out how they operated and Cam making.

If I can help PM me.

10. Likes Jim Christie, Peter S liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There are also some Brown and Sharpe Screw machine texts on line here with the newer editions listed in the right hand panel.
    Catalog Record: Construction and use of Brown & Sharpe... | HathiTrust Digital Library
    Perhaps not as detailed in some areas as individual specific machine manuals but still have lots of info and handy to share links from with others if you have questions .
    Jim

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ah yes Jim i have exhausted the search function haha. Found those tubalcain videos about 6 months ago. The inernet and brown and sharpes dont mix haha.

13. Likes Jim Christie liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mc3608 View Post
    He SHOULD HAVE OPERATORS MANUAL FOR EACH SERIES. IF NOT YOU CAN FIND SOME Ebay. YOU CAN LEARN A LOT FROM THE MANUALS.
    A little common sense will go a long way if you want to learn.
    I have 18 2G's ,#2's all 1 1/4"-1 5/8"and a 2" ultramatic under power and there days that we may have 10-12 machines
    running with 3 setup/operators.
    When I started I didn't know anything about them and didn't know anyone that did. I figure that it takes about 3 years
    to make a good setup machinist.
    keep YOUR PRODUCTION UP AND WHEN YOU HAVE A FEW SPARE MINUTES LOOK IN ON THE SETUP GUY AND ASK QUESTIONS ASK IF YOU CAN HELP HIM.
    The first 3 machines that I bought did have all the manuals and a cam design book SO I HAD TO TAKE A CRASH COURSE IN OPERATING and
    figuring out how they operated and Cam making.

If I can help PM me.
    I plan to put myself into a position that im able to store and run atleast 2 machines. Id love to get a 00g and a 2g or 00 and no.2 Ultramatics if i can manage. Got a couple things in mind to make.

15. Likes Jim Christie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I plan to put myself into a position that im able to store and run atleast 2 machines. Id love to get a 00g and a 2g or 00 and no.2 Ultramatics if i can manage. Got a couple things in mind to make.
    Just make sure that you get chain drive spindles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am trying to contact you with PM's and failing miserably. Please forward your name and address.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ah yes Jim i have exhausted the search function haha. Found those tubalcain videos about 6 months ago. The inernet and brown and sharpes dont mix haha.
    For future reference, if you're wanting to find something on PM, a google search sometimes works better than the search function on this site.
    I've never had the opportunity to work with those wonderful machines. Good luck in your endeavors.