Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default back gear question

if i want to run this back gear, i cannot see anyway to lube it. Anyone know what to do? there are 2 lock bolts in the shaft bearing per end, but zero lube points, and i cant see any way to get lube in. 1ts my 1917 Walcott. i dont want to harm it.

Country
    NICARAGUA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A pic would help. My old leblond had a setscrew in the center of the hollow shaft between the gears for lubing it. Take out the screw, fill with oil, replace the screw.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Main View Post
    if i want to run this back gear, i cannot see anyway to lube it. Anyone know what to do? there are 2 lock bolts in the shaft bearing per end, but zero lube points, and i cant see any way to get lube in. 1ts my 1917 Walcott. i dont want to harm it.

As a last resort, disassemble, clean up a bit and put it back together with Isky cam lube or the like (hot rod slippery stuff)

While you are at it, put in a lube hole or two if you like

Most will have a journal on each end

I put lube passages in these heavy 36" shaper parts that Ohio was neglectful of providing
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dcp_0635.jpg   dcp_0636.jpg   dcp_0641.jpg   dcp_0642.jpg   dcp_0643.jpg